Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to know all the Current running process and how to kill Post 302929972 by skp on Monday 29th of December 2014 07:42:13 AM
Old 12-29-2014
Dear RavinderSingh13,

Thank you. Let us say i have below process details...If i write dymanically based on the query you have provided will it be works..
Kindly please advise.Thank you.

Example-
Parent Process 1
Child Process 11
Subchild Process 111

Parent Process 2
Child Process 22
Subchild Process 222

1.What is the unix comand used for all current running process (Including All current running processes Parent ->child->subchild process)
Code:
ps -ef | grep -v grep | awk -vs1=$(whoami) '{if($1== s1 && $9 == "parent process name") {print $0}}' | awk '($3==1){a=a?a OFS $2:$2} ($3 != 1){b[$2]=$2;next} END{for(i in b){val=b[i] OFS val};

2.If child and subchild processes are running then what is the unix command to kill parent and its all child subchild processes in UNIX.
Code:
kill -9 "val OFS a "\n"}' OFS=" " ORS=" "

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to kill process while keeping the submitted job running

:confused: I have a process which was schedule to run from 8am - 6pm daily. The scripts will search & run the commands that i was predefined in the database. Ususally, there were about 6-7 jobs for each submission and each job takes about 1-2 hrs and running one by one. And, I have a cron job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk_newbie
3 Replies

2. Programming

to find current running process

Hi All, The scenario is like this: There is a process say "A" which create a child process say "B" if some condition is true and process "A" terminates. "B" invokes some C program say "C" using 'execl' function. The job of program "C" is to keep polling the server until the server will be up.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjkuma692
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

current running process in shell

hi what is the shell programming code to know the number of processes currently running on the machine & information about those processes. Another one is the configuration and usage of the UNIX file system? requesting all for help. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moco
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Current Process Running.

Hi all, When I issued command ps -ef|grep Vinay in a UNIX machine, I got the following Vinay 22491 1 255 Jun 18 ? 294248:53 -sh Vinay 26628 1 255 Jun 18 ? 294237:33 -sh Could you tell me what all process is running ? Please explain each of the fields. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

See if process is running and kill it

I need a simple line to run from apple remote desktop's Unix terminal on multiple different machines to see if Microsoft Entourage is running and kill it.. I imagine this could be done with a ps auxwww and grab the second field, (PID) put it into a variable and do a kill $variable using awk, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running different process from current process?

I have been having some trouble trying to get some code working, so I was wondering...what system calls are required to execute a different program from an already running process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Midwest Product
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with kill a specific process after certain running time

Hi, Do anybody experience to write a bash script in order to kill a specific process (java) after certain time of running? eg. java java.jar task_run.txt I will run a java program (java.jar) which will run a long list of process (task_run.txt) one by one. I plan to terminate the java... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill a process running at a certain port

Hello, I have multiple scripts (vlc1, vlc2,...vlc5) and as I do not know how to run them as upstart processes, I entered my script links into rc.local file. Here is the sample one for process vlc1: $ nano /etc/rc.local added below line into rc.local /var/bin/./vlc1 & Port nr of vlc1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List Process running under current user

Hi, i need to list the processes running only under current logged in user. EX: $ whoami oraaqw $ ps -ef | grep tnslsnr oraaqw 11403300 19267592 0 09:14:47 pts/3 0:00 grep tnslsnr oraaqw 15794208 1 0 Jan 14 - 11:59... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Idle command to kill the process running n unx box machine

Hi Team , I have one process named as cec_analysiseool that is running on unix box machine now i want to kill this process so please advise what will be the ideal command to kill this , what i have tried is :confused: kill -9 `ps -ef | grep cec_analysiseool | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclesamm
2 Replies
fork(2) 							System Calls Manual							   fork(2)

Name
       fork - create a new process

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <unistd.h>

pid = fork()
       pid_t pid;

Description
       The  system  call causes creation of a new process.  The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process except for the
       following:

o    The child process has a unique process ID.

o    The child process has a different parent process ID (that is, the process ID of the parent process).

o    The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors.  These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for
	    instance,  file  pointers  in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that a on a descriptor in the child process
	    can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent.  This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to	establish  standard  input
	    and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes.

o    The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0.  For further information, see

Return Values
       Upon  successful  completion,  returns  a  value  of  0	to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent
       process.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set	to
       indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails and no child process are created under the following conditions:

[EAGAIN]       The system-imposed limit {PROC_MAX} on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded.

[EAGAIN]       The system-imposed limit {CHILD_MAX} on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded.

[ENOMEM]       There is insufficient swap space for the new process.

See Also
       execve(2), wait(2)

fork(2)