Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX Post 302929865 by C8000 on Sunday 28th of December 2014 12:25:08 AM
Old 12-28-2014
sed '/^hosts/ s/files.*/files dns/' /etc/nsswitch.files >/etc/nsswitch.conf

tried this and worked without errors but still the same error "no address info available.......

tried lanadmin and got gigabit ethernet settings all ok i.e says connected at 1000000 an connection is up

have set up network settings using questions at end of operating install , entered gateway address, ip address for system etc , if I select DCHP setup I get the error situation where it displays
desktop messaging system cannot start etc and cannot log in etc, if i then login failsafe i then can run mozilla and get a connection ok BUT cannot login to desktop for normal CDE session

will try manually edit resolv.conf with your suggestions and see what happns, thanx for your input

---------- Post updated at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:34 PM ----------

UPDATE
I have Live internet and able to log in to full CDE session with NO desktop messaging system error used SAM default domain as - home , other domains to search 192.168.1.1
then Name servers as 203.12.160.35 ,203.12.160.36, and 203.12.160.37 which I found from my isp website for their DNS name servers... WHAT A RELEIF........ I don't know what actually fixed it as I'm pretty sure have tried these settings before , maybe was one of the commands suggested in last few posts, am going to do a fresh install when a new HDD arrives and will re-do everything I did this time to get it running, finally wish to thank all people who contributed to suggestions to fix my problem... I have spent a week trying to sort this out and , thank goodness , have finally fixed it....

Last edited by C8000; 12-28-2014 at 01:33 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started HP-UX

Hi People! I've just got a HP-UX system dumped on me. I've started it, followed all the install/setup questions, and everything was going ok, right upto when going into the desktop enviroment I got the message "The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started". Now I've checked the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpiuk
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo install on HP UX 11i(basic question)

Hello folks, had a question. I was trying to install sudotool on HP -UX 11i. I downloaded gzip file from sudo site and unzipped to /tmp folder on HP box how do i install it?? do i need to run "swinstall" menu and then choose from there? THanks! karthik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

11i install error

Hi Experts I have a C3000 workstation onto which I am trying to install 11i however I am running into the following error. ENTRY_INIT failed, status = -4: Unrecoverable hardware error (followed by a hex dump) I have re-tried many times and on one occasion successfully got through to CD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP UX 11i and HP C8000

Hey, i want install HP UX 11i on HP C8000. When i start the C8000 i get a prompt. On this Prompt i write BOot P1 P1 is my DVD-ROM (IDE). I get the Message "ERROR: Not a boot path". When i write SEArch the Prompt said: P0 scsiA.6 HP73.4MAT3073NP P1 ide.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numx
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The DT messaging system could not be started

Hello All, I am getting " The DT messaging system could not be started" message when wants to login as root on a box running on tru64 5.1A. /etc/hosts is ok. when i see in .dt/errorlog it shows message server could not be started. Thanks for help. Awadhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

how to install iplanet messaging server 5.2 on solaris 10

hi all, I want to install iplanet messaging service in solaris 10. if it is possible plz send the procedure for installation.its urgent plz regards spandan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandhan
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

RX2620 11i V3 install halts at load ram disk

Hi there, hope you can help since I'm a novice and playing with this machine to maybe one day use it with our non-profit art project (plantage9.de). I have the proper media for itanium and everything seems okay, loads the DVD etc., until it halts without any progress for hours (see also image... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plantage
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

RPM Install error: libc.so.6 is needed by

I have an application rpm which when installed is failing to get installed with error error: Failed dependencies: libc.so.6 is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

The DT messaging system could not be started.

Good Morning, Users can no longer log into SunBlade 2500 Solaris 9 system (though root still can). Here's what I'm getting and what I've done. I'm most suspicious of the full drive since that pops up twice and I did see one looks full. What's a good way to reduce what's on it?- or.. what else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
RESOLV.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    RESOLV.CONF(5)

NAME
resolv.conf -- resolver configuration file DESCRIPTION
The resolv.conf file specifies how the resolver(3) routines in the C library (which provide access to the Internet Domain Name System) should operate. The resolver configuration file contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first time they are invoked by a process. The file is designed to be human readable and contains a list of keywords with values that provide various types of resolver infor- mation. On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary. The only name server to be queried will be on the local machine, the domain name is determined from the host name, and the domain search path is constructed from the domain name. The different configuration options are: nameserver IPv4 address (in dot notation) or IPv6 address (in hex-and-colon notation) of a name server that the resolver should query. Scoped IPv6 address notation is accepted as well (see inet6(4) for details). Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers may be listed, one per keyword. If there are multiple servers, the resolver library queries them in the order listed. If no nameserver entries are present, the default is to use the name server on the local machine. (The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query times out, try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum num- ber of retries are made). domain Local domain name. Most queries for names within this domain can use short names relative to the local domain. If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined from the local host name returned by gethostname(3); the domain part is taken to be everything after the first '.'. Finally, if the host name does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed. lookup This keyword is now ignored: its function has been superseded by features of nsswitch.conf(5). search Search list for host-name lookup. The search list is normally determined from the local domain name; by default, it begins with the local domain name, then successive parent domains that have at least two components in their names. This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path following the search keyword with spaces or tabs separating the names. Most resolver queries will be attempted using each component of the search path in turn until a match is found. Note that this process may be slow and will generate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains. The search list is currently limited to six domains with a total of 1024 characters. sortlist Sortlist allows addresses returned by gethostbyname to be sorted. A sortlist is specified by IP address netmask pairs. The net- mask is optional and defaults to the natural netmask of the net. The IP address and optional network pairs are separated by slashes. Up to 10 pairs may be specified, ie. sortlist 130.155.160.0/255.255.240.0 130.155.0.0 options Options allows certain internal resolver variables to be modified. The syntax is: options option ... where option is one of the following: debug enable debugging information, by setting RES_DEBUG in _res.options (see resolver(3)). edns0 attach OPT pseudo-RR for ENDS0 extension specified in RFC 2671, to inform DNS server of our receive buffer size. The option will allow DNS servers to take advantage of non-default receive buffer size, and to send larger replies. DNS query packets with EDNS0 extension is not compatible with non-EDNS0 DNS servers. The option must be used only when all the DNS servers listed in nameserver lines are able to handle EDNS0 extension. inet6 enable support for IPv6-only applications, by setting RES_USE_INET6 in _res.options (see resolver(3)). The option is meaningful with certain kernel configuration only and use of this option is discouraged. insecure1 Do not require IP source address on the reply packet to be equal to the servers' address. insecure2 Do not check if the query section of the reply packet is equal to that of the query packet. For testing purposes only. ndots:n sets a threshold for the number of dots which must appear in a name given to res_query (see resolver(3)) before an initial absolute query will be made. The default for n is 1, meaning that if there are any dots in a name, the name will be tried first as an absolute name before any search list elements are appended to it. The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive. If more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance will over- ride. The search keyword of a system's resolv.conf file can be overridden on a per-process basis by setting the environment variable LOCALDOMAIN to a space-separated list of search domains. The options keyword of a system's resolv.conf file can be amended on a per-process basis by setting the environment variable RES_OPTIONS to a space-separated list of resolver options as explained above. The keyword and value must appear on a single line, and the keyword (e.g. nameserver) must start the line. The value follows the keyword, separated by white space. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf The file resolv.conf resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), resolver(3), nsswitch.conf(5), hostname(7), named(8), resolvconf(8) Paul Vixie, Kevin J. Dunlap, and Michael J. Karels, Name Server Operations Guide for BIND, CSRG, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, Release 4.9.4, http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/docs/bog/bog.html, July 16, 1996. HISTORY
The resolv.conf file format appeared in 4.3BSD. BSD
August 21, 2010 BSD