Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - 'ls' green for root user only Post 302929864 by achenle on Saturday 27th of December 2014 08:14:23 PM
Old 12-27-2014
This will give you the size of the "ls" binary that was installed on your server via Sun package:
Code:
grep usr/bin/ls /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWcsu/save/pspool/SUNWcsu/pkgmap | awk '{ print $8 }'

Note that the string you are grepping for does NOT start with a forward slash. This also won't work if your system has a patched "ls" binary.

FWIW, field 9 is the file checksum, obtained with "sum". Field 10 is the original modification time in seconds. You can get the current mod time of the binary in that format with
Code:
stat -c %Y /usr/bin/ls

if your system has the "stat" utility.

If you don't have the "stat" utility, you can get the mod time in seconds with
Code:
truss -t\!all -tstat -vstat ls /usr/bin/stat

You'll see the mod time in the data emitted for the "stat()" call on "/usr/bin/ls".

Last edited by achenle; 12-27-2014 at 09:19 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Permissions for the root user on Solaris 10

Hi I have a doubt, here if a file does not have the write permissions to the root user my script is going to write the data into that file. when i executed the script as root user. Is it correct ... ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shreedhar Naik
4 Replies

2. Solaris

How to start CDE for non root user on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I start CDE for non root user created.For root CDE is working fine but for non root user CDE exits back to login screen after trying for some time.Also I cant see .dt and .dtprofile files in the users home directory.How can I create them.Kindly help. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8

Please let me know how to setup a non-root user to be able to access a privileged port (<1024) on Solaris 8. I am currently running tomcat as "tomcat" user and I get the following error during to start up: SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint java.net.BindException: Permission denied<null>:443 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10

I am not able to get ftp working for Solaris 10 for root user. I am getting login failed error. 331 Password required for root. Password: 530 Login incorrect. Login failed. Tried following things already. 1. SFTP works ok, still would like to know why FTP is not working (curious). 2.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: webkid
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

7. SuSE

Non root user want to see /var/log/messages - any suse equivalent of Solaris dmesg

Hi New to Suse - mainly used Solaris. In solaris dmesg will also show you contents of messages log file but in Suse Liux it doesnt appear to. I dont have root access to this Suse server, and wondering is there any other tool / utility that allows me to see the messages file contents like on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Root user not recognizing on Solaris-10 (shadow file corruption)

Hello, I got into a wired state on one of solaris 10 server. When I noticed that server is having some issue, I found that there were dumpadm.conf entries in /etc/shadow and real entries were wiped of. Probably somebody fat fingers. I was able to boot into failsafe, break SVM mirror, copied... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
25 Replies
STAT(3) 								 1								   STAT(3)

stat - Gives information about a file

SYNOPSIS
array stat (string $filename) DESCRIPTION
Gathers the statistics of the file named by $filename. If $filename is a symbolic link, statistics are from the file itself, not the sym- link. lstat(3) is identical to stat(3) except it would instead be based off the symlinks status. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. RETURN VALUES
stat(3) and fstat(3) result format +--------+--------------------------------------+---+ |Numeric | | | | | | | | | Associative | | | | | | | | Description | | | | | | +--------+--------------------------------------+---+ | 0 | | | | | | | | | dev | | | | | | | | device number | | | | | | | 1 | | | | | | | | | ino | | | | | | | | inode number * | | | | | | | 2 | | | | | | | | | mode | | | | | | | | inode protection mode | | | | | | | 3 | | | | | | | | | nlink | | | | | | | | number of links | | | | | | | 4 | | | | | | | | | uid | | | | | | | | userid of owner * | | | | | | | 5 | | | | | | | | | gid | | | | | | | | groupid of owner * | | | | | | | 6 | | | | | | | | | rdev | | | | | | | | device type, if inode device | | | | | | | 7 | | | | | | | | | size | | | | | | | | size in bytes | | | | | | | 8 | | | | | | | | | atime | | | | | | | | time of last access (Unix timestamp) | | | | | | | 9 | | | | | | | | | mtime | | | | | | | | time of last modification (Unix | | | | timestamp) | | | | | | | 10 | | | | | | | | | ctime | | | | | | | | time of last inode change (Unix | | | | timestamp) | | | | | | | 11 | | | | | | | | | blksize | | | | | | | | blocksize of filesystem IO ** | | | | | | | 12 | | | | | | | | | blocks | | | | | | | | number of 512-byte blocks allocated | | | | ** | | | | | | +--------+--------------------------------------+---+ * On Windows this will always be 0. ** Only valid on systems supporting the st_blksize type - other systems (e.g. Windows) return -1. In case of error, stat(3) returns FALSE. Note Because PHP's integer type is signed and many platforms use 32bit integers, some filesystem functions may return unexpected results for files which are larger than 2GB. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Upon failure, an E_WARNING is emitted. EXAMPLES
Example #1 stat(3) example <?php /* Get file stat */ $stat = stat('C:phpphp.exe'); /* * Print file access time, this is the same * as calling fileatime() */ echo 'Access time: ' . $stat['atime']; /* * Print file modification time, this is the * same as calling filemtime() */ echo 'Modification time: ' . $stat['mtime']; /* Print the device number */ echo 'Device number: ' . $stat['dev']; ?> Example #2 Using stat(3) information together with touch(3) <?php /* Get file stat */ $stat = stat('C:phpphp.exe'); /* Did we failed to get stat information? */ if (!$stat) { echo 'stat() call failed...'; } else { /* * We want the access time to be 1 week * after the current access time. */ $atime = $stat['atime'] + 604800; /* Touch the file */ if (!touch('some_file.txt', time(), $atime)) { echo 'Failed to touch file...'; } else { echo 'touch() returned success...'; } } ?> NOTES
Note Note that time resolution may differ from one file system to another. Note The results of this function are cached. See clearstatcache(3) for more details. Tip As of PHP 5.0.0, this function can also be used with some URL wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrappers" to determine which wrappers support stat(3) family of functionality. SEE ALSO
lstat(3), fstat(3), filemtime(3), filegroup(3). PHP Documentation Group STAT(3)