Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh script to check if certain process is running Post 302929859 by derekludwig on Saturday 27th of December 2014 02:52:46 PM
Old 12-27-2014
A simple "waitforit" script I use is
Code:
while [[ -z "${PIDS}" ]]; do
    sleep 30
    PIDS=$(pgrep "${*}")
done

ps -fp ${PIDS}

which is called as:
Code:
waitforit command

Just make sure pgrep can find the process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for a particular process and alert if its not running

Hai Friends, I have to develop a script that checks for a particular process say x.exe once every day and report if its not running say through a blat mail. I need this to run in a given list of pc from a single point. Any suggestion of how to go abt this Thnx for any help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goks
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check if a process is running in a server from shell script.

I want to write a unix shell script that will check if a process (say debu) is running in the server or not. If no , then send a mail to the corresponding person to start the process??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check if process is running

How do I make a shell script to see if a certain process is running. The process shows up on ps aux as /usr/sbin/daemon eg: if /usr/sbin/daemon else #nothin basically i want to run the process if it isnt running/ has been stopped. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daydreamer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write an expect script to check if a process is running?

I'm new to expecting and i want to create a script to ssh to a device,check is a process is running and display that the process is running or not.This is what i have so far After executing this script i get an error. #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout -1 set ip "machine ip goes here" set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: icchi
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to check if process is running?

Hi I would like to check if an instance of a script is already running. I've seen many different examples, but I haven't the slightest idea as to how to do this. Can you please help. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check running of process

Hi, Can anyone please tell me how to write a shell script to check whether a process if running or not.... if its still running then wait for sometime and if not then run the next query. Also, Under my one main script main.sh I have to run 2 scripts simutaneously which take some time to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovepujain
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to Check running Process

#!/bin/sh CHECK='ps aux | grep start.jar | grep -v grep | wc -l' if then /usr/local/jre-1.7.0/bin/java - jar start.jar & else fi Could anybody advise whats up with this code im trying to put this in as a cron job to check that solr search engine is running every 10secs and if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: will_123
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in KSH to check if a process its up or down.

Hi all! Im working on a simple script in KSH (just started) to check if a process its up or down, but im kind of lost with the following error. Script: #!/usr/bin/ksh psup=$(ps -ef | grep sftp | egrep -v grep | wc -l) if ($psup > 0); then echo "Process SFTP running" else ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ARSport
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How a process can check if a particular process is running on different machine?

I have process1 running on one machine and generating some log file. Now another process which can be launched on any machine wants to know if process1 is running or not and also in case it is running it wants to stream the logs file generated by process1 on terminal from which process2 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhnsit2001
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add conditional check of whether a process is running before doing rest of script?

Hi, I'm looking at doing a cron job for a script that could take a very short time to complete or a very long time to complete based on variable activity on a server. I don't want to do a weird schedule, but I don't want to be so aggressive that the process attempts to start before another... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
14 Replies
PGREP(1)							Linux User's Manual							  PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-flnvx] [-d delimiter] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] pkill [-signal] [-fnvx] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout. All the cri- teria have to match. For example, pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-d delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -l List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -P ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v Negates the matching. -x Only match processes whose name (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: unix$ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: unix$ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: unix$ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: unix$ renice +4 `pgrep netscape` EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1) proc(5) regex(5) STANDARDS
pkill and pgrep were introduced in Sun's Solaris 7. This implementation is fully compatible. AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> is the current maintainer of the procps package. Please send bug reports to <procps-list@redhat.com> Linux June 25, 2000 PGREP(1)