Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [BASH] Floating point exception Post 302929849 by Don Cragun on Saturday 27th of December 2014 12:12:08 PM
Old 12-27-2014
Note that it wouldn't literally be core.pid, it would be core.ProcessIDOfProgramThatDroppedCore (which in this case would be core.20608).

It looks like /var/lib/systemd/coredump is used when your system crashes (not when user processes running on your system crash). On most systems I've used, a core file would be placed in the directory that:
  • was the current working directory of the process when it died,
  • was the current working directory of the process when it started,
  • was the home directory of the user who started the process, or
  • was a subdirectory of the home directory of the user who started the process.

The diagnostic you received from bash:
Code:
/home/sea/.local/bin/vhs.sh: line 658: 20608 Floating point exception(core dumped) vobcopy -o "$1" 2> "$vTMP"

indicates that bash was told that a core file was produced. But, obviously, configuration parameters can disable core file production.

If locate core and core.20608 don't find anything, we have to assume that your system didn't drop a core or some cron job removed it before you looked for it.

Hope this helps...
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating point numeric comparisions in bash

Hi, I am trying to compare 2 floating point numbers 0.8 and 0.15 using bash and get the largest of the two. Can anyone advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: floating point exception

Hi, guys, today, I have copied a simple script which runs correctly on a computer to another one. But, the latter informs me: Floating point exception! @ ./command_module a b c where command_module is the module compiled by myself. So, I have fixed it by following steps: 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapleleaves
5 Replies

3. Linux

Floating point exception !!!

Hi, I have linux fedora 4 ver., 2.6 kernal. And qmail & mysql & samba servers are already configured on this server. When I try to install any package like squidguard ,dansguardian,webmin,rsnapshots with command rpm -ivh . It is giving error as “Floating point exception" Snap View is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk01
3 Replies

4. Linux

Floating Point Exception

Hi, I am compiling "HelloWorld" C progam on 32-bit CentOS and i want to execute it on 64-bit CentOS architecture. For that i copied the a.out file from 32-bit to 64-bit machine, but while executing a.out file on 64bit machine I am getting "Floating point exception error". But we can run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point not recognized by printf in bash

Dear all, I have the following question. Let's say that I have the following script #!/bin/bash value=0.4987865 a=` printf "%6.2f" $value ` b=`echo $value + $value | bc -l` echo $a echo $b exit And the exit is: 0,00 .9975730 Thus, the problem is that the printf order does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

6. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Floating point math with bc

Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a script to calculate optimal tcp window size the formula that I am following is 2 x (bandwith speed /8 * Round Trip Time ) = x This is what I have so far #!/bin/bash echo "Enter connection speed" << Get the speed of the Connection from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmfmancini
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0

Hello, I have often found bash to be difficult when it comes to floating point numbers. I have data with rows of tab delimited floating point numbers. I need to find the smallest number in each row that is not 0.0. Numbers can be negative and they do not come in any particular order for a given... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
CRASHINFO(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      CRASHINFO(8)

NAME
crashinfo -- analyze a core dump of the operating system SYNOPSIS
crashinfo [-d crashdir] [-n dumpnr] [-k kernel] [core] DESCRIPTION
The crashinfo utility analyzes a core dump saved by savecore(8). It generates a text file containing the analysis in the same directory as the core dump. For a given core dump file named vmcore.XX the generated text file will be named core.txt.XX. By default, crashinfo analyzes the most recent core dump in the core dump directory. A specific core dump may be specified via either the core or dumpnr arguments. Once crashinfo has located a core dump, it analyzes the core dump to determine the exact version of the kernel that generated the core. It then looks for a matching kernel file under each of the subdirectories in /boot. The location of the kernel file can also be explicitly provided via the kernel argument. Once crashinfo has located a core dump and kernel, it uses several utilities to analyze the core including dmesg(8), fstat(1), iostat(8), ipcs(1), kgdb(1), netstat(1), nfsstat(1), ps(1), pstat(8), and vmstat(8). The options are as follows: -d crashdir Specify an alternate core dump directory. The default crash dump directory is /var/crash. -n dumpnr Use the core dump saved in vmcore.dumpnr instead of the latest core in the core dump directory. -k kernel Specify an explicit kernel file. SEE ALSO
textdump(4), savecore(8) HISTORY
The crashinfo utility appeared in FreeBSD 6.4. BSD
June 28, 2008 BSD