Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [BASH] Floating point exception Post 302929826 by Don Cragun on Saturday 27th of December 2014 03:38:57 AM
Old 12-27-2014
From the output you posted:
Code:
# | pid:20608                               Copying: AVATAR1-2.vob (124M)                               [  /   ] | #
/home/sea/.local/bin/vhs.sh: line 658: 20608 Floating point exception(core dumped) vobcopy -o "$1" 2> "$vTMP"
# | pid:20608                               Copying: AVATAR1-2.vob (130M)                               [  -   ] | #

we can see that vobcopy dropped a core file due to a floating point exception. Where that core file is placed varies from system to system. Start by looking at the man page for core and gdb or adb or sdb on your system to see if they give you an indication of where the core file is located.

ongoto:
No, the core didn't come from test. The diagnostic output repeated above clearly states that vobcopy received a floating point exception and a core file was produced.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating point numeric comparisions in bash

Hi, I am trying to compare 2 floating point numbers 0.8 and 0.15 using bash and get the largest of the two. Can anyone advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: floating point exception

Hi, guys, today, I have copied a simple script which runs correctly on a computer to another one. But, the latter informs me: Floating point exception! @ ./command_module a b c where command_module is the module compiled by myself. So, I have fixed it by following steps: 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapleleaves
5 Replies

3. Linux

Floating point exception !!!

Hi, I have linux fedora 4 ver., 2.6 kernal. And qmail & mysql & samba servers are already configured on this server. When I try to install any package like squidguard ,dansguardian,webmin,rsnapshots with command rpm -ivh . It is giving error as “Floating point exception" Snap View is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk01
3 Replies

4. Linux

Floating Point Exception

Hi, I am compiling "HelloWorld" C progam on 32-bit CentOS and i want to execute it on 64-bit CentOS architecture. For that i copied the a.out file from 32-bit to 64-bit machine, but while executing a.out file on 64bit machine I am getting "Floating point exception error". But we can run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point not recognized by printf in bash

Dear all, I have the following question. Let's say that I have the following script #!/bin/bash value=0.4987865 a=` printf "%6.2f" $value ` b=`echo $value + $value | bc -l` echo $a echo $b exit And the exit is: 0,00 .9975730 Thus, the problem is that the printf order does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

6. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Floating point math with bc

Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a script to calculate optimal tcp window size the formula that I am following is 2 x (bandwith speed /8 * Round Trip Time ) = x This is what I have so far #!/bin/bash echo "Enter connection speed" << Get the speed of the Connection from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmfmancini
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0

Hello, I have often found bash to be difficult when it comes to floating point numbers. I have data with rows of tab delimited floating point numbers. I need to find the smallest number in each row that is not 0.0. Numbers can be negative and they do not come in any particular order for a given... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
CORE(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   CORE(5)

NAME
core -- memory image file format SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> DESCRIPTION
A small number of signals which cause abnormal termination of a process also cause a record of the process's in-core state to be written to disk for later examination by one of the available debuggers. (See sigaction(2).) This memory image is written to a file named by default core.pid in the /cores directory; provided the terminated process had write permission in the directory, and the directory existed. The maximum size of a core file is limited by setrlimit(2). Files which would be larger than the limit are not created. The core file consists of the ~ Mach-O(5) header as described in the <mach-o/loader.h> file. The remainder of the core file consists of various sections described in the Mach-O(5) header. NOTE
Core dumps are disabled by default under Darwin/Mac OS X. To re-enable core dumps, a privlaged user must edit /etc/hostconfig to contain the line: COREDUMPS=-YES- SEE ALSO
gdb(1), setrlimit(2), sigaction(2), Mach-O(5), sysctl(8) HISTORY
A core file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 18, 2002 BSD