Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to know exactly which physical partion contains data? Post 302929775 by bakunin on Friday 26th of December 2014 05:38:26 AM
Old 12-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobochacha29
It's so comlicated.
Of course it is. If systems administration would be simple we wouldn't be the heroes of the whole IT business, would we? So welcome to the job with the biggest demands and the greatest rewards our industry has to offer.

Quote:
They are SCSI Disk Drive.

Yes, many small files and these small files are compressed to a tar file after each day. Depending on which kinds of log, these tar files are deleted after 1 week, 1 month or 1 years ...
Well, this is something we can build on. I can help you better when i return to the office (and the documentation: there is a lot of detail i do not know from the top of my head).

Quote:
You can see that, however the "KB-Writ" of hdisk4 and hdisk5 is higher than these of hdisk0 and hdisk3, the "Busy%" of hdisk0 and hdisk3 is higher than these of hdisk4 and hdisk5.
A little general information about the disk statistics and what they mean:

Every disk has a "command queue": read- and write-requests are buffered and then worked on one after the other. If the queue is full the disk will not accept more commands until some room in the queue is free again. Keep this in mind for a moment.

The OS now asks every disk (in this regard, "disk" means "everything with a "hdisk"-device - it does not have to be a physical disk but also a LUN, a RAID-set, ....) in turn if this queue has length 0 at the moment or not, which the disk answers with "yes" (= length 0) or "no" (any length different then 0). From many of these answers the OS compiles a percentage which is shown as "disk busy %".

This means that "disk busy" is not as important as you think and that it has no meaning by itself. If a queue has "not length 0" it can have length 1 or length 15. The value is interesting because you get a measure of how many accesses a disk experiences. But you cannot measure the throughput of a device from that value alone. Disk operations come in different sizes, varying from 512 bytes (one disk block) up to several GB. Which of these is outstanding the busy% will not tell you, just that there is one outstanding at all.

You might consider balancing for "I/O" rather than for "busy%", but you might even do something different. I suggest you read my little introduction to performance tuning with emphasis to I/O-tuning in the meantime. I will come back to this thread once i am back in office (next Monday).

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partion size

hi, just need to know the disk size and the partition size on machine.pls let me know how to do that.is their a way i can get to know the size of directory.like /,/var...etc. thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saood
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

3. Linux

Doing stuff to files on a NTFS partion from linux

I have a 50GB section of my hard drive on which I've kept all my music, movies and more back from when I had Windows. When I'm in linux it says that the NTFS section is a read only section. Is it possible to copy, rename, add, move or delete any files off of this section? I'm trying to get rid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CTroxtell21
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partion Magic problems.

Hiya people, A great big "HI" to everybody. I'm new to the Forum and now to my problem(s). I am about to partition my only 80GB HD and using the Partition Magic 8 software it looks fairly simple although here is my problem :- 1. Do I change the new partition to primary or logical? 2. Do I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syndrome_00
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

6. Solaris

How to create on partion from 2 disks?

Hi everyone :b: I'm glade to join this forum and I have one question I installed latest Solaris 10 release on SF V480 with 2 73 GB disks 8 GB RAM 4 CPU's My configuration is 10GB for root, 8GB for Swap and 12GB for var. I mirrored root, so disk 1 has 40GB free of space and disk 2 has... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: HishamN
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto XP partion restore

At my computer shop where I work, we got alot of used PC's from some place. It's my job to refurbish them for resale. Each computer comes with XP pro. So the boss man asks me if there is a way to put a XP restore option. I say yes if I install Linux on a small partion and use partimage to make a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zewbie
1 Replies

8. Linux

Centos 5 install. Partion order

I can't control the partion order during install. For example i need. hda5 /var 1GB hda6 /opt 2GB I created them in such order but OS adjust them to hda5 /opt 2GB hda6 /var 1GB It is frustrating during install, I pretty sure I can order the partion as i like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
0 Replies

9. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies