Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX About Block Size and Fragment Size Post 302929758 by Scrutinizer on Friday 26th of December 2014 02:05:36 AM
Old 12-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_t03
Code:
$ df -g /
/                      (/dev/vg00/lvol3       ) :
           8192 file system block size            8192 fragment size
         131072 total blocks                     85350 total free blocks
          85350 allocated free blocks            38944 total i-nodes
          35436 total free i-nodes               35436 allocated free i-nodes
     1073741827 file system id                    vxfs file system type
           0x10 flags                             255 file system name length
              / file system specific string

That does indeed show a "fragment size" of 8 KB, which is the "fundamental file system block size", i.e. the minimum block size that can be used on a file system..

Quote:
[CODE]
[..]
I think it's somehow related that root VG supposed to be on a contiguous LVM logical volume. But I'm not sure.
It is important to get the terms right. A VG can not be on a LVM volume. What you mean is the root filesystem (in this case of type VXFS) that gets mounted on /. The root filesystem is usually on one of the logical volumes (typically lvol3) on vg00.

If there needs to be a contiguous LVM, then that typically pertains to the swap volume ( typically lvol2 on vg00), but that does not contain a VXFS file system and so does not have a block size / fragment size..). The contiguousness has to do with physical extents, not filesystem blocks / fragments..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-26-2014 at 03:17 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know the OS Block size

Hello Unix guru's I want to check my OS Block size for the Solaris 8 Following is one of the line from df -g command. Can anybody help to interpret the same. /u03 (/dev/vx/dsk/oradg/vol03): 8192 block size 8192 frag size 205463552 total blocks 50433792... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dilippatel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block size

Hi All, drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 31 14:47 test Please let me know here 4096 indicating what? Thanks & Regards, Bache (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

3. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

4. AIX

Block Size

Hi, I try to change the block size from 512 to 0, but it send this message: 0514-068 Cause not know Can someone help me whith this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruben78
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

O/s block size

Hi Guys, I am running Linux 2.6.18-164.el x86_64 how do i check the block size? Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
HTML::Widget::Element::Block(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 HTML::Widget::Element::Block(3pm)

NAME
HTML::Widget::Element::Block - Block Level Element SYNOPSIS
my $e = $widget->element( 'Block', 'div' ); $e->value('bar'); DESCRIPTION
Block Level Element. Base class for HTML::Widget::Element::Fieldset METHODS
new Returns a new Block element. Not usually required, use $widget->element() or $block->element() to create a new Block element within an existing widget or element. type Default value is div, to create a <div> container. Can be changed to create a tag of any type. element Add a new element, nested within this Block. See "element" in HTML::Widget for full documentation. push_content Add previously-created elements to the end of this block's elements. unshift_content Add previously-created elements to the start of this block's elements. block_container Creates a new block container object of type $self->block_container_class. Defaults to HTML::Widget::BlockContainer. block_container_class Sets the class to be used by $self->block_container. Can be called as a class or instance method. containerize Containerize the block and all its contained elements for later rendering. Uses HTML::Widget::BlockContainer by default, but this can be over-ridden on a class or instance basis via block_container_class. get_elements my @elements = $self->get_elements; my @elements = $self->get_elements( type => 'Textfield' ); my @elements = $self->get_elements( name => 'username' ); Returns a list of all elements added to the widget. If a 'type' argument is given, only returns the elements of that type. If a 'name' argument is given, only returns the elements with that name. get_element my $element = $self->get_element; my $element = $self->get_element( type => 'Textfield' ); my $element = $self->get_element( name => 'username' ); Similar to get_elements(), but only returns the first element in the list. Accepts the same arguments as get_elements(). find_elements Similar to get_elements(), and has the same alternate forms, but performs a recursive search through itself and child elements. SEE ALSO
HTML::Widget::Element AUTHOR
Michael Gray, "mjg@cpan.org" LICENSE
This library is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2007-03-01 HTML::Widget::Element::Block(3pm)