Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Expect - bash and variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect - bash and variables Post 302929560 by Chubler_XL on Monday 22nd of December 2014 06:13:06 PM
Old 12-22-2014
Try using:

Code:
   result=$(/usr/bin/expect << EOF
	set timeout 1
	#set echo on
	#log_user 0

spawn telnet ${address[4]} $SMTPport

EOF
)
    printf "$body" "$userid" "$domain" "$fname" "$lname" "$status"

Now, within the expect script use puts -nonewline to print the value for $result in the parent script like this:

Code:
set result $expect_out(buffer)
puts -nonewline "$result"

To output messages or errors to the terminal use puts stderr like this:

Code:
puts stderr "ACCESS denied validation UNSUCCESSFUL"
puts -nonewline "FAILED"

The above prints the error message on the terminal and sets $result to "FAILED"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with expect and set variables

I'm writing a script that'll send a time-stamp to my backup server. I create a file with the name of the current date, send it to my server with scp and rm the file from the local computer. Individually these commands work fine and with a set name the expect scripts also work fine. The problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ktesh564
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need expect to read variables from a list while logged into the same device

Hi, I'm primarily a Cisco/Juniper networking guy, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance when it comes to scripting (although I do write simple backup scripts and things of that nature on a regular basis and I run Linux at home, so I am vaguely familiar with it). What I need to do should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolverene13
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass variables in Expect command?

Hi All, I need to frame a unix script to logon to a unix box. The credentials needs to be obtained from a property file on the same location. I am trying to use 'expect' and 'spawn' command to meet this req. When I am passing values, these commands are working fine. but when I am trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailkarthik
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect in bash script

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that calls a few commands that prompt the user for two simple yes/no questions. if the answers are consistent (the first is a yes, the second is a no), what would my expect script look like? Google is only giving me answers for scripts where I telnet or ssh. right now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: js741
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect and variables

I'm trying to make an expect function that will pass through a variable. /usr/bin/expect<<EOD spawn su - expect "Password: " send "$psswd\r" expect "#" send "/etc/init.d/network restart >>$log\r" expect "#" send "exit\r" EOD The $log passes through but my $psswd fails I know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lotheovian
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect in bash to get the return value

cat test.sh #!/bin/sh expect <<- EOF set timeout 5 spawn ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no lyang0@128.224.178.245 -C mkdir -p /tmp expect { "Password:" {send "root\r"} } spawn scp -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no /tmp/1 lyang0@128.224.178.245:/tmp/ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with expect

Dear all Hi I want use expect in bash so that we can not use these with each other /bin/bash. With. /usr/bin/expect How can use these with on script or how can call a script from other script #!/bin/bash clear echo "================================== " echo "Enter your Esxi IP"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baber
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script + expect

im very happy to back for this forum I have servers with alias of double dns extentions: sample: servera.test.com servera.test1.com serverb.test.com serverb.test1.com I need to login to that severs and executing the set of commands if test.com failed then try to login via... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash0106
0 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux