Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run this grep every 10 minutes and do something based on the output Post 302929529 by junior-helper on Monday 22nd of December 2014 12:19:21 PM
Old 12-22-2014
It's simply a matter of taste. I used it to keep the terminal clean(er) Smilie
Sometimes one just doesn't care about the output because we only rely on the exit status, like in this case.
Anyways, &>/dev/null is not mandatory here.

---------- Post updated at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
The redirect will stop you getting messages to standard output ...
It covers standard error, too Smilie
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to junior-helper For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Schedule to run every 3 minutes - CRONTAB

Hello all, I want to run a script every 3 minutes in os level and to send mail. I scheduled in crontab as 3 * * * * /mnt1/monitorscripts/testdbstart.sh I got mail every one hour and I confirmed that the script is running every 1 hour which doesn't meet my requirment. Where I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashanth_gs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run every 5 minutes

Hello all, I want to run a script every 5 minutes. How to accomplish this task? Thanks in advance Mrudula (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrudula009
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run the shell script for every 15 minutes?

I want to run my shell script for every 15 minutes starting from 12:20AM. I am passing parameter GA to shell script. Does this work? Any one please comment on this? 20 0-23/15 * * * xyz.sh 'GA' > xyz.log 2>&1 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 2 lines from File, Run Command based off output

Okay, so I have a file containing line after line of three digit numbers. I need a script that does an action based on the last two numbers in this list. So.... To get the last two numbers, I can have the script do tail -2 filename.txt But where I run into trouble is as follows. If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script continuously for 10 minutes

Hi all!! Im using ksh and my OS is Linux. I want to run a script for ten minutes, starting from my current system time. How to acheive this? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run cronjob for every 10 minutes

Hi Friends, I have a requirement to run the cronjob for every 10 minutes from 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Does the below code works? If not, please advise. * * * * * command to be executed ┬ ┬ ┬ ┬ ┬ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ └---------------------------------- day of week (0 - 6) (0 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthbiradar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output block of lines in a file based on grep result

Hi I would appreciate your help with this. I have a output file from a command. It is broken based on initial of the users. Exmaple of iitials MN & SS. Under each section there is information pertaining to the user however each section can have different number of lines. MY challenge is to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different output based on run method

Sample Data #cat /mylist.txt /raid/job/123 /raid/job/456 /raid/job/789 # Script #cat /myfind.scr #!/bin/bash touch /nojob.txt touch /job.txt unset dirfolder for dirfolder in `/bin/cat /mylist.txt`;do if then echo $dirfolder >>/job.txt else echo $dirfolder >>/nojob.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job to Run every 2 minutes

Hello Gurus, I want to schedule a cron job which will run every 2 minutes starts at 11:25 AM and 3:25 AM daily. Can you please suggest as how to schedule the job. Thanks- Pokhraj Das (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file for the last 5 minutes of contents every 5 minutes

Hi all, System Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS i have the following log INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,099 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/8550614e-3e94-4fa5-9ab2-135eefa69c1b HTTP/1.0" 500 2042 INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,569 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/6cb9c452-dcb1-45f3-bcca-e33f5d450105... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
15 Replies
RHN_REGISTER(8) 						   Red Hat, Inc.						   RHN_REGISTER(8)

NAME
rhn_register - Connect to Spacewalk Server, Red Hat Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. SYNOPSIS
rhn_register [options] DESCRIPTION
rhn_register is a client program that registers your system with "Spacewalk Server", "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic". After registering, your system can receive software updates, install new software, and remotely manage your system. It can run both in graphical and text modes. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Increase the debugging output. --proxy=PROXY Specify an http proxy to use. --proxyUser=PROXYUSER Specify a username to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyPassword. --proxyPassword=PROXYPASSWORD Specify a password to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyUser. --nox Run in text mode. --version Show the program's version number and exit. -h, --help Show a help message and exit. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto "Spacewalk Server" or "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic". This file does not exist otherwise. /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date The common configuration file used by Red Hat client programs. SEE ALSO
rhn_check(8), rhnreg_ks(8), rhnsd(8), rhn-profile-sync(8), rhnplugin(8), up2date(5). AUTHORS
See the AUTHORS file included with this software. This manual page was written by James Bowes <jbowes@redhat.com> BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2011 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Linux 2011 February 4 RHN_REGISTER(8)