Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Du command and modified date in ssh Post 302929417 by Don Cragun on Sunday 21st of December 2014 03:37:56 AM
Old 12-21-2014
The ls output is showing the size of the files listed (note that a directory is just one type of a file).

The du -hs output is showing the sizes of the blocks allocated to the file and (when the file is a directory) the size of the blocks allocated to the directory added to the sizes of the blocks allocated to all files in the file hierarchy rooted in that directory. Note also that the sizes of files in a file hierarchy reported by du -hs might not be what you expect. If there are hard links to files in a hierarchy, the blocks allocated to each linked file will only be counted once. Therefore, the sum of the sizes reported by:
Code:
du -hs dir1 dir2

might not be the sum of the sizes reported by:
Code:
du -hs dir1;du -hs dir2

And, if there are sparse files, the file size may be huge, but the number of blocks allocated to the file may be tiny.

And note that the size of a directory varies from filesystem type to filesystem type. On some filesystem types, the size of a directory shown by ls will be the size of the directory entries in that directory; in other filesystem types, it will just be the number of directory entries contained in that directory; and in other filesystem types, it might be something else. (On some filesystem types, some directory entries can be stored in the i-node for the directory. This makes the size of the directory zero until enough space is needed by directory entries to overflow the space in the i-node.)
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the last modified date of a file?

I am trying to load a group of files and their last dates modified into a text file that will in turn be used with SQL*Loader to load these files into Oracle. I am using a *.ksh script. I am getting the name of the file in by using the following: for file_ext in 'cat loaddir.ext'; do find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akpopa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last Modified Date

Hello, I'm on a practical training and i have to change a shell script which print out a HTML-File with all Printers (and features example: IP, Mac etc.) they have in the factory. The Features of the Printers are on each separate file. i mean every printer have an own file with it features. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cengiz
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

greping certain modified date

i have a k shell script that grep less than certain modified date ------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh for i in * do day=`ls -ltr | grep $i | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f6-7 | awk 'substr($0,7,4)substr($0,1,5)substr($0,11)<"Feb 1"' ` echo $day done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Last Modified Date for subfolders

Sorry for the basic question, but I have a feeling that my developers are circumventing our change control process, and I want to be able to easily keep track of the last modified date of sub-folders of the production folder. Basically, we have this major folder PROD, and then each application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saint01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search by modified date

Hello, How can i search for all the files in a particular directory which are not updated from past 5 days. Thanks, Sateesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find last modified date for many files

Hello all - I've looked and have not been able to find a "find" command that will list the last modified date of files within a specific directory and its subdirectories. If anyone knows of such a command it would be very much appreciated! If possible, I would like to sort this output and have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelH3947
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

current date modified file

Hi , In my directory , i have many days file but i want to see all those which are of todays date. i tried this but it gives all the files mtime -0 |ls -ltr I tried the below option as well. 19635 find -iname "*.LOG" -mtime 19636 ls -ltr *.LOG -mtime -1 19637 ls -ltr *.LOG... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy creation date over top of modified date?

Can someone draw up a script that for every file, folder and subfolder and files that will copy the creation date over top of the modified date?? I know how to touch every file recursively, but no idea how to read a files creation date then use that to touch the modification date of that file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toysareforboys
3 Replies

9. AIX

How do I display a file's last modified date?

I'm using a script that I need to get a file's "last modified date" in a format like 01:51:14 PM. We are running on AIX 6.1.0.0. I can't seem to find the right command parameters. Help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattadams1983
4 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Arrange file by modified date

Hi, Am performing a find based on filename and result can contain multiple files being found Let's say my find command is find /Archive -f -name 12345.pdf and result of find command is /Archive/Folder A/12345.pdf /Archive/Folder B/12345.pdf please note white space in folder names I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
2 Replies
NEWFS_HFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NEWFS_HFS(8)

NAME
newfs_hfs -- construct a new HFS Plus file system SYNOPSIS
newfs_hfs [-N] [-U uid] [-G gid] [-M mask] [-h | -w] [-s] [-b block-size] [-c clump-size-list] [-i first-cnid] [-J [journal-size]] [-n node-size-list] [-v volume-name] special DESCRIPTION
Newfs_hfs builds an HFS Plus file system on the specified special device. Before running newfs_hfs the disk should be partitioned using the Disk Utility application or pdisk(8). The file system default parameters are calculated based on the size of the disk partition. Typically the defaults are reasonable, however newfs_hfs has several options to allow the defaults to be selectively overridden. The options are as follows: -N Causes the file system parameters to be printed out without really creating the file system. -U uid Set the owner of the file system's root directory to uid. -G gid Set the group of the file system's root directory to gid. -M mask Specify the access permissions mask for the file system's root directory. -h Creates a legacy HFS format filesystem. This option is not recomended for file systems that will be primarily used with Mac OS X or Darwin. -s Creates a case-sensitive HFS Plus filesystem. By default a case-insensitive filesystem is created. Case-sensitive HFS Plus file systems require a Mac OS X version of 10.3 (Darwin 7.0) or later. -w Adds an HFS wrapper around the HFS Plus file system. This wrapper is required if the file system will be used to boot natively into Mac OS 9. -b block-size The allocation block size of the file system. The default value is 4096. -c clump-size-list This specifies the clump and/or initial sizes, in allocation blocks, for the various metadata files. Clump sizes are specified with the -c option followed by a comma separated list of the form arg=blocks. Example: -c c=5000,e=500 a=blocks Set the attribute file clump size. b=blocks Set the allocation bitmap file clump size. c=blocks Set the catalog file clump size. e=blocks Set the extent overflow file clump size. -i first-cnid This specifies the initial catalog node ID for user files and directories. The default value is 16. -J [journal-size] Creates a journaled HFS+ volume. The default journal size is 8MB. Appending an 'M' to the journal size implies megabytes (i.e. 64M is 64 megabytes). The maximum journal size is 512 megabytes. -n node-size-list This specifies the b-tree node sizes, in bytes, for the various b-tree files. Node sizes are specified with the -n option fol- lowed by a comma separated list of the form arg=bytes. The node size must be a power of two and no larger than 32768 bytes. Example: -n c=8192,e=4096 a=bytes Set the attribute b-tree node size. c=bytes Set the catalog b-tree node size. e=bytes Set the extent overflow b-tree node size. -v volume-name Volume name (file system name) in ascii or UTF-8 format. SEE ALSO
mount(8), pdisk(8) HISTORY
The newfs_hfs command appeared in Mac OS X Server 1.0 . Mac OS X April 1, 2003 Mac OS X