Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with if statement syntax in shell script Post 302929323 by ms63707 on Friday 19th of December 2014 12:57:09 PM
Old 12-19-2014
sea -
I was hoping that one of these if statements:
Code:
if [[ -${Prmshn} ${InFLNm} ]] ; then
if [[ $ifReq ]] ; then
if [[ "$ifReq" ]] ; then

would resolve to:
Code:
if [[ -r /input/test.txt ]] ; then

RudiC-
I changed the condition from r to v and received the same syntax error messages.

All -
this statement works:
Code:
if [ "$ifReq" ] ; then

however this statement does not work:
Code:
if [[ "$ifReq" ]] ; then

---------- Post updated at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:42 AM ----------

I should clarify that the permissions on the file that my condition test is examining are:
Code:
-rwxrwxr-x /input/test.txt

Last edited by rbatte1; 12-19-2014 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags and corrected spelling and case

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script syntax checker

I have a rather big script that i have written in ksh and it is falling over in two places with a 'test argument' error. I know this usually means that the if statement is not correct, but it is fine. I have looked through the rest of the script for any odd brackets or ` marks, but can't see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Syntax Shell-Script

Hi Guys, iīve a question ... but itīs a litte bit tricky: iīve a 3 php-scripts which runīs via cron at night. These script reads an xml-file a writes it in an MySQL-DB. I named them (for example here ) Script1 - Script3. The XML-Files i named xml1 - xml3. Now, iīve build a Batch-file,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in script with if statement

I'm working on a function in a shell script I'm writing that will eventually take in and print out a list of vendor names and aliases (for my work) Here's the function in question: addvendorandalias () { echo echo -n 'Would you like to create a new vendor list (y or n)? ' read answer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If then Else statement in shell script

Hi, I am having a shell Script which i need to modify. I am new to shell scripting , needs help. The Logic which needs to be incorporated is as follows :- The script need to check the length of first Line in a data fine and of the length of the file is > 130 then validated the input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvichare
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script | bc syntax format

sorry but need help http://i.investopedia.com/inv/articles/site/CalculationEMA.gif trying to achieve ema in script I have this syntax which errors ema=` ; the 0.153846154 ='s Smoothing Factor really appreciate help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if statement syntax

Hi, Is there a way to compare the value in if condition with a list of values. eg . if ] then echo "it's a mammal" else echo "its not" fi Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement in a shell script

Please see part of a shell script below. #Move folder to HOT folder echo " moving $PRE_OCR_DIR/$BATCHNAME to $HOT_FOLDER_DIR\n" #chmod -R 777 $PRE_OCR_DIR/$BATCHNAME mv $PRE_OCR_DIR/$BATCHNAME $HOT_FOLDER_DIR I wish to write an if statement around the move that if that if $BATCHNAME... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: worky
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax for if statement

I'm new to unix and the command line and am trying to learn different commands. I have a file (teledir.txt) that contains a name and phone number for 3 different people. I am writing a script that is to take two positional parameters and I typed out how it should behave: if <name and number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)