Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with if statement syntax in shell script Post 302929255 by RudiC on Friday 19th of December 2014 05:02:38 AM
Old 12-19-2014
You may want to execute your script with the -v and/or -x option set to see what the shell actually does.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script syntax checker

I have a rather big script that i have written in ksh and it is falling over in two places with a 'test argument' error. I know this usually means that the if statement is not correct, but it is fine. I have looked through the rest of the script for any odd brackets or ` marks, but can't see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Syntax Shell-Script

Hi Guys, iīve a question ... but itīs a litte bit tricky: iīve a 3 php-scripts which runīs via cron at night. These script reads an xml-file a writes it in an MySQL-DB. I named them (for example here ) Script1 - Script3. The XML-Files i named xml1 - xml3. Now, iīve build a Batch-file,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in script with if statement

I'm working on a function in a shell script I'm writing that will eventually take in and print out a list of vendor names and aliases (for my work) Here's the function in question: addvendorandalias () { echo echo -n 'Would you like to create a new vendor list (y or n)? ' read answer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If then Else statement in shell script

Hi, I am having a shell Script which i need to modify. I am new to shell scripting , needs help. The Logic which needs to be incorporated is as follows :- The script need to check the length of first Line in a data fine and of the length of the file is > 130 then validated the input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvichare
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script | bc syntax format

sorry but need help http://i.investopedia.com/inv/articles/site/CalculationEMA.gif trying to achieve ema in script I have this syntax which errors ema=` ; the 0.153846154 ='s Smoothing Factor really appreciate help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if statement syntax

Hi, Is there a way to compare the value in if condition with a list of values. eg . if ] then echo "it's a mammal" else echo "its not" fi Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement in a shell script

Please see part of a shell script below. #Move folder to HOT folder echo " moving $PRE_OCR_DIR/$BATCHNAME to $HOT_FOLDER_DIR\n" #chmod -R 777 $PRE_OCR_DIR/$BATCHNAME mv $PRE_OCR_DIR/$BATCHNAME $HOT_FOLDER_DIR I wish to write an if statement around the move that if that if $BATCHNAME... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: worky
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax for if statement

I'm new to unix and the command line and am trying to learn different commands. I have a file (teledir.txt) that contains a name and phone number for 3 different people. I am writing a script that is to take two positional parameters and I typed out how it should behave: if <name and number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)