Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to wait for a grand child to finish? Post 302929074 by DGPickett on Wednesday 17th of December 2014 01:06:47 PM
Old 12-17-2014
I find the stdout/stderr are great at tracking progeny processes:
Code:
( ... ) 2>&1 | cat >log_file

When all processes that did not redirect both stdout and stderr exit, then stdin on cat goes to EOF and it exits.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I wait for PID to finish in another shell

Have a need to schedule programs that can run after other programs are completed. Here's the catch: 1) The list of programs will not always be the same (kind of a plug-n-play deal) 2) The invoking shell may not be the same as the shell of the program being waited on In other words, I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
2 Replies

2. Programming

Howto spawn multiple child processes and wait?

As far as I can tell, the bash wait command waits for a logical "AND" of all the child processes. Assuming I am coding in C: (1) What is the function I would use to create multiple bash child process running perl? (2) What is the function I would use to reinvent the bash wait command so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to wait for the subprocess to finish in tcl

Hi All Here i have a piece of code, set filename "./GopiRun.sh" #I need to wait here until the GopiRun.sh is completed how do i achive this exit. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a parent wait on a child shells running in background?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make cron wait for the child process

I am trying to find a list of files and writing it to a text file. Based on the machine performance the file writing will be slow at certain time. The code to find file and redirecting the output to text file is on a shell script /usr/bin/find $SEARCH_DIR -daystart \( \( -name 'KI*' -a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthalapati
4 Replies

6. Programming

Parent,child wait,signal

Hello. I want to make a child do some stuff,wait,then the parent does some stuff and then child does some stuff and waits again.I have made the following but it does not work.Can anybody help me? pid1 = fork(); if (pid1 == -1) { perror("Can't create child\n"); ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to WAIT for jobs in each group to finish?

I have the shell script to call a Perl routine and pass the Informatica WorkFlow name to it. Jobs in each group executes in background do not seem to wait at all. How do I make it to WAIT for the prior group to complete before execute the next group of jobs? Sample of the jobs flow: { ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to wait for tar to finish before sending the archive through ftp?

Hey all, I want to automate tarring a directory then using ftp to transfer the files over. I was able to put the commands together but what I'm noticing is that only the very first file is being tarred and then transferred. tar cvpf new.backup sourceAbove is the command I'm using which works... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How make parent to wait from child process?

Hi all, I am starting mgen5 for sometime depends on input from a file, in a child process. now I want to make parent to wait in this child process till mgen5 finishes, or timeout happens. could anyone please tell me how to make parent to wait in child process in shell script? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijajoshi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Wait till any one child process finishes

Hi I am facing a problem in my ksh. My main script is calling 3 different child process in the background. I am using wait to finish all and then submit another 3 child processes. Now what i want is , whenever any one child process finishes ,i want to submit next one.so that parallel 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangu
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-CAT(1)							    systemd-cat 						    SYSTEMD-CAT(1)

NAME
systemd-cat - Connect a pipeline or program's output with the journal SYNOPSIS
systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND] [ARGUMENTS...] systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cat may be used to connect the standard input and output of a process to the journal, or as a filter tool in a shell pipeline to pass the output the previous pipeline element generates to the journal. If no parameter is passed, systemd-cat will write everything it reads from standard input (stdin) to the journal. If parameters are passed, they are executed as command line with standard output (stdout) and standard error output (stderr) connected to the journal, so that all it writes is stored in the journal. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. -t, --identifier= Specify a short string that is used to identify the logging tool. If not specified, no identification string is written to the journal. -p, --priority= Specify the default priority level for the logged messages. Pass one of "emerg", "alert", "crit", "err", "warning", "notice", "info", "debug", or a value between 0 and 7 (corresponding to the same named levels). These priority values are the same as defined by syslog(3). Defaults to "info". Note that this simply controls the default, individual lines may be logged with different levels if they are prefixed accordingly. For details, see --level-prefix= below. --level-prefix= Controls whether lines read are parsed for syslog priority level prefixes. If enabled (the default), a line prefixed with a priority prefix such as "<5>" is logged at priority 5 ("notice"), and similar for the other priority levels. Takes a boolean argument. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Invoke a program This calls /bin/ls with standard output and error connected to the journal: # systemd-cat ls Example 2. Usage in a shell pipeline This builds a shell pipeline also invoking /bin/ls and writes the output it generates to the journal: # ls | systemd-cat Even though the two examples have very similar effects the first is preferable since only one process is running at a time, and both stdout and stderr are captured while in the second example, only stdout is captured. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), logger(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-CAT(1)