Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Storing Passwords
Top Forums Web Development Storing Passwords Post 302928984 by Corona688 on Tuesday 16th of December 2014 04:57:08 PM
Old 12-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Regarding keys -- When not in use (ie standing somewhere) the half-keys should be encrypted - both on the user side and the system side. Otherwise they are sitting ducks.
How does one avoid the rube goldberg problem, though? That being, extra encryption/decryption steps where the server knows its own key gains nothing but extra heat and wasted time.
Quote:
Whenever someone cracks your code for the key encryption algorithm, then they win. Period.
How so? Knowing the algorithm won't get them the keys.
Quote:
Unless forward perfect secrecy is mandated take a value-based approach.
I'm not storing financial information, it's more of an admin tool.
Quote:
If somebody can reverse engineer code, or get your source easily, then most things you can do are pointless.
Again, how? Knowing the algorithm does not hand them the keys -- it tells them what they need to steal, but does not give them access.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passwords

I am running unix 11.xxx....How do you change a user password. The previous vs was passwd at the command prompt. This no longer works. Thanks for the help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: turner.rd
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide Passwords

Is there a way not to display the password in the sys out when your korn shell script logs into sqlplus? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sqlplus and passwords

Hope I'm in the right place to ask this. ... and I'm a total noob by the way. When changing an account password through telnet, everything seems fine. I can telnet back in afterward, but if I try to use sqlplus to get in it tells me password invalid. If I try to get in through sqlplus with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tazman4
1 Replies

4. AIX

passwords encryption

I want to store a password of a user in a encrypted format and the use that encrypted password in my shell scripting. can any one of you let me know how to do it. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpana.anuga
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About unix passwords.

How the unix is maintaining the password ? How it does the encryption and how the passwords are stored in the system and where it is stored ? How it is better when compared to other OS ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Storing ssh passwords/keys in keychain

Can anyone tell me how to set up ssh and keychain so when I connect to the remote system it uses keychain for the password or public key? The remote system is FreeBSD 8.0. Do I need to setup anything else on that end? Cheers. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haggardly
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwords

Dear all, I need to automate/script a user password change process. I'm helpless cannot use expect since it's not installed and cannot install it either. Do i have an alternative. I can store the password in a file and that would be the password that would be set to all the users. If not i don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Passwords and shadows

version 11.22 1 - In this version there is the shadow file by default?. If so why when I search the file I get "No / etc / shadow file found"? 2 - What does the "*" in etc / password? at the beginning of each password? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shinju15
1 Replies
listusers(1)						      General Commands Manual						      listusers(1)

NAME
listusers - display user login data SYNOPSIS
groups] logins] DESCRIPTION
The command displays data concerning user logins. The output shows the user login and the comment field value (for example, user name, location). The default displays data about all user logins. Options The command supports the following options: Display only users who have groups, as their primary group. Use with the option. Display only users who have groups, as their supplementary group. Use with the option. Display all users belonging to groups, sorted by login. A comma separated list specifies multiple groups. Display the requested logins. A comma separated list specifies multiple logins. Display only users belonging to the specified repository, either for NIS or users. A user login has a UID of 100 or greater. When the and options are combined, a user login is only displayed once, even though the login may belong to multiple specified groups. EXAMPLES
List all user logins. List all user logins in the group and the users removing all duplicates. List all users who have as their primary group. List all users who have as their supplementary group. List only local user logins. List only NIS user logins. FILES
SEE ALSO
passwd(1), logins(1M), group(4), passwd(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
listusers(1)