Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to know exactly which physical partion contains data? Post 302928912 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 16th of December 2014 06:30:55 AM
Old 12-16-2014
Can I also raise a concern about your plan to write LPs from both copies spread over the same disks. What would happen if you lost hdisk3, for instance. You might end up with two copies both with some missing LPs and a lot of hard work to extricate yourself. Smilie

I've not found a mention of reducing FS size in the manual page for chfs on AIX 6. The details about the size= part are below:-
Quote:
-a size=NewSize
Specifies the size of the Journaled File System. The size can be specified in units of 512-byte blocks, megabytes or
gigabytes. If Value has the M suffix, it is interpreted to be in megabytes. If Value has a G suffix, it is interpreted
to be in gigabytes. If Value begins with a +, it is interpreted as a request to increase the file system size by the
specified amount. If the specified size is not evenly divisible by the physical partition size, it is rounded up to the
closest number that is evenly divisible.
The process to reduce the FS does work though Smilie

Code:
# lslv robin_test_lv
LOGICAL VOLUME:     robin_test_lv          VOLUME GROUP:   rebsvg
LV IDENTIFIER:      00cfe9f500004c000000012bcecff0de.18 PERMISSION:     read/write
VG STATE:           active/complete        LV STATE:       opened/syncd
TYPE:               jfs2                   WRITE VERIFY:   off
MAX LPs:            512                    PP SIZE:        32 megabyte(s)
COPIES:             2                      SCHED POLICY:   parallel
LPs:                32                     PPs:            64
STALE PPs:          0                      BB POLICY:      relocatable
INTER-POLICY:       minimum                RELOCATABLE:    yes
INTRA-POLICY:       edge                   UPPER BOUND:    32
MOUNT POINT:        /robin_test_fs         LABEL:          /robin_test_fs
MIRROR WRITE CONSISTENCY: on/ACTIVE                              
EACH LP COPY ON A SEPARATE PV ?: yes                                    
Serialize IO ?:     NO                                     
INFINITE RETRY:     no            

# chfs -a size=-32M /robin_test_fs
Filesystem size changed to 2031616

# lslv robin_test_lv                   
LOGICAL VOLUME:     robin_test_lv          VOLUME GROUP:   rebsvg
LV IDENTIFIER:      00cfe9f500004c000000012bcecff0de.18 PERMISSION:     read/write
VG STATE:           active/complete        LV STATE:       opened/syncd
TYPE:               jfs2                   WRITE VERIFY:   off
MAX LPs:            512                    PP SIZE:        32 megabyte(s)
COPIES:             2                      SCHED POLICY:   parallel
LPs:                31                     PPs:            62
STALE PPs:          0                      BB POLICY:      relocatable
INTER-POLICY:       minimum                RELOCATABLE:    yes
INTRA-POLICY:       edge                   UPPER BOUND:    32
MOUNT POINT:        /robin_test_fs         LABEL:          /robin_test_fs
MIRROR WRITE CONSISTENCY: on/ACTIVE                              
EACH LP COPY ON A SEPARATE PV ?: yes                                    
Serialize IO ?:     NO                                     
INFINITE RETRY:     no

How delighted am I? SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

Given that you can add a PP by using chfs -a size=+1 I tried chfs -a size=-1 /test_robin_fs and got en error, which I eventually deciphered as the reduction appears to need to be given in multiples of the PP size.

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partion size

hi, just need to know the disk size and the partition size on machine.pls let me know how to do that.is their a way i can get to know the size of directory.like /,/var...etc. thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saood
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

3. Linux

Doing stuff to files on a NTFS partion from linux

I have a 50GB section of my hard drive on which I've kept all my music, movies and more back from when I had Windows. When I'm in linux it says that the NTFS section is a read only section. Is it possible to copy, rename, add, move or delete any files off of this section? I'm trying to get rid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CTroxtell21
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partion Magic problems.

Hiya people, A great big "HI" to everybody. I'm new to the Forum and now to my problem(s). I am about to partition my only 80GB HD and using the Partition Magic 8 software it looks fairly simple although here is my problem :- 1. Do I change the new partition to primary or logical? 2. Do I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syndrome_00
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

6. Solaris

How to create on partion from 2 disks?

Hi everyone :b: I'm glade to join this forum and I have one question I installed latest Solaris 10 release on SF V480 with 2 73 GB disks 8 GB RAM 4 CPU's My configuration is 10GB for root, 8GB for Swap and 12GB for var. I mirrored root, so disk 1 has 40GB free of space and disk 2 has... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: HishamN
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto XP partion restore

At my computer shop where I work, we got alot of used PC's from some place. It's my job to refurbish them for resale. Each computer comes with XP pro. So the boss man asks me if there is a way to put a XP restore option. I say yes if I install Linux on a small partion and use partimage to make a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zewbie
1 Replies

8. Linux

Centos 5 install. Partion order

I can't control the partion order during install. For example i need. hda5 /var 1GB hda6 /opt 2GB I created them in such order but OS adjust them to hda5 /opt 2GB hda6 /var 1GB It is frustrating during install, I pretty sure I can order the partion as i like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
0 Replies

9. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies