Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Linker errors linking to .a files on OS X Post 302928590 by Don Cragun on Saturday 13th of December 2014 03:23:07 AM
Old 12-13-2014
Did you follow the MacPorts directions for uninstalling MacPorts, or did you just "rm" it?

I don't have any experience with MacPorts, but glancing through the on-line documentation it seems that MacPorts may change the target architecture to the port you were working on. That would explain the ld diagnostic:
Code:
ld: warning: ignoring file func.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64): func.a
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "_func", referenced from:
      _main in main.o

but I'm afraid I don't know how to help you correct the problem.

One possibility is that MacPorts might have installed alternative versions of gcc or ar in a directory in your PATH before the standard locations for those utilities. Does type ar gcc ld indicate any directory other than /usr/bin for any of those utilities? If it is something else, try:
Code:
/usr/bin/gcc -c func.c main.c
/usr/bin/ar -src func.a func.o
/usr/bin/gcc -o test main.o func.a

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

compiling and linking 2 C files ...??

Hi mates, I am trying to copile and link to C programs with command: cc file1,file2 but i raises the error "file not found" ... am i doing the right way? any suggestion will be appreciated. thanks abdul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul
4 Replies

2. Programming

Linking problem while linking to shared library

Hi I'm getting ld: fatal: option -h and building a dynamic executable are incompatible ld: fatal: Flags processing errors When I run ld -shared -L/usr/dt/lib -lDtSvc -o builtin.so Workspace.o after running gcc -fPIC -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/dt/include -c Workspace.c I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laho
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modifying C file and linking back to project files

hi, This is the first time I work in a big C project. All source code files are located in say directory /source/pp and all header files are in /include/pp. I've created a link to both of these directories from my home dir, say /home/ss. So in the /home/ss dir I have the /source/pp and /include/pp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruins2005
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linking Files in UNIX (shortcuts)

Hello, Can anyone tell me how I can make a file link or shortcut in UNIX 4.0, several file links where damaged during an outage examples below. Examples: file -> file libX11.so -> /usr/shlib/libX11.so.pre.O3D All of the file links that were damaged were in /shlib and point to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jays337
3 Replies

5. Programming

C files searching and Linking

Dear friends, First off all , let me apologize for my inexperience. I am just starting use of Linux and gcc . Actually I ve some .c files in the present directory , and now I am giving +vc <my_file1.c> <my.file2.c> <myfile3.c>. All the c files are in present directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking ERRors in files

I m having trouble in a script.I need To write a script that will check for Following Errors in Logs Files,i.e files having Extension .log The erros are 2008-01-01 15:19:11,822 ERROR - ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 51 (block # 717090) ORA-01110: data file 51:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively hard linking files -- bonehead question

I used to program ksh a while back, but I've been off in Oracle/Windows land (for clients -- not by choice) for so long that I can't remember what should be an easy thing. Here's the scenario: 1)Find all files and directories beneath some directory point (A). 2)If directory, make the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scyphers
7 Replies

8. Solaris

proc precompilation - linking results in symbolic referncing errors

I can compile and link a piece of code on Solaris 2.6 .. I want the same thing to be done on Solaris8.. I am getting symbolic refernce errors while linking... Errors looks to be with proc symbols defination.. Any ideas ?? fgs_lib/finder_dbl.pkg_shr_def->lib/finder_dbl.so expand_file "cc -G... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
0 Replies

9. Solaris

runtime linker errors

Hey guys I have a solaris 10 OS, with a zone configured. In that zone, I am trying to install an Oracle Client. However, when I run the oracle installer, I get the following error: ld.so.1: java: fatal: libexpat.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory ld.so.1: java: fatal:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for linking files with paths in 2 text files

I have 2 txt files, 1.txt and 2.txt which contain the paths to files that need to be linked. Example 1.txt: /root/001/folder2/image4.nii.gz /root/002/folder2/image4.nii.gz Example 2.txt: /root/001/folder2/image5.nii.gz /root/002/folder2/image5.nii.gz Each line represents images from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeftoverStew
7 Replies
eatmydata(1)						      General Commands Manual						      eatmydata(1)

NAME
eatmydata - transparently disable fsync() and other data-to-disk synchronization calls SYNOPSIS
eatmydata [--] command [ command arguments ... ] DESCRIPTION
eatmydata runs a command in the environment where data-to-disk synchronization calls (like fsync(), fdatasync(), sync(), msync() and open() O_SYNC / O_DSYNC flags) have no effect. LD_PRELOAD library libeatmydata overrides respective C library calls with custom functions that don't trigger synchronization but return success nevertheless. You may use eatmydata in two ways. In normal mode, just execute eatmydata directly and pass a command-to-be-run and its arguments via com- mand line. In order to use symlink mode, create a symlink to /usr/bin/eatmydata with the filename (a.k.a basename) of another program in the PATH and execute eatmydata via that symlink. Then eatmydata will find that program in the PATH and run it in the libeatmydata environ- ment repassing all command line options. OPTIONS
Please note that eatmydata does not process any command line options in symlink mode. All command line options will be repassed to the underlying executable as-is. command The command to execute. It may be either a full path or the name of the command in PATH. In case command cannot be found in PATH, eatmydata will fail. command arguments Arbitrary number of arguments to pass to the command being executed. -- Optional command separator for compatibility with similar utilities. Ignored at the moment. EXAMPLES
Given PATH is /usr/bin and both /usr/bin/aptitude and /usr/bin/eatmydata are installed, the following: $ ln -s /usr/bin/eatmydata ./aptitude $ ./aptitude moo is equivalent to: $ eatmydata -- aptitude moo Therefore, you may use symlink mode to automatically run specific programs in the libeatmydata environment whenever you run them from PATH. For example, given standard PATH settings, just do: # ln -s /usr/bin/eatmydata /usr/local/bin/aptitude and enjoy sync-free aptitude system-wide. AUTHOR
The eatmydata wrapper around libeatmydata LD_PRELOAD library was written by Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org> November 2010 eatmydata(1)