Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't remove spaces with sed when calling it from sh -c Post 302928558 by Tribe on Friday 12th of December 2014 03:52:01 PM
Old 12-12-2014
Can't remove spaces with sed when calling it from sh -c

The following command works
Code:
 echo "some text with spaces" | sh -c 'sed -e 's/t//g''

But this doesn't and should
Code:
 echo "some text with spaces" | sh -c 'sed -e 's/ //g''

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove spaces in a string using sed.

Hello, I have the following to remove spaces from beginning and end of a string. infile=`echo "$infilename" | sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//` How do I modify the above code to remove spaces from beginning, end and in the middle of the string also. ex: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove spaces before 1rst occurence of string

seems easy but havent found in other posts... i want to delete any spaces if found before first occurence of ${AI_RUN} sed 's/ *\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/' $HOME/temp1.dat i think i'm close but can't put my finger on it. :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Spaces

Hi All, I have a comma seperated file. I wanna remove the spaces from column 2. I mean i don't wanna remove the spaces those are presnt in column 1. ex: emp name, emp no, salary abc k, abc 11, 1000 00 bhk s, bhk 22, 2000 00 the output should be: emp name, emp no, salary abc k, abc11,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove spaces using awk,sed,perl?

Input: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 Expected output: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 How can i do this with awk,sed and perl? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr and sed remove spaces. how to stop this?

if the answer is obvious, sorry, I'm new here. anyway, I'm using tr to encrypt with rot-13: echo `cat $script | tr 'a-zA-Z' 'n-za-mN-ZA-M'` > $script it works, but it removes any consecutive spaces so that there is just one space between words. I've had this problem before while using sed to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trichopterus
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove newlines and spaces

Hi all, i am getting count from oracle 11g by spooling it to a file. Now there are some newline characters and blank spaces i need to remove these. pl provide me a awk/sed solution. the spooled file is attached. i tried this.. but not getting req o/p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishav
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove spaces

Hi folks, I need to remove spaces at the end of each line in a *.txt file. it looks like this word 1 word 2 . . . word n i found some sed commands but any of them didnt work so far thank you for your posts (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jimmy7
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to remove spaces from middle of the line

Hi, I need to correct href portion of the lines to edit out spaces from the line starting with position "<a href=" and ending at "target=" Below are 2 examples of extra space added by the server: <td width=251 colspan=9 rowspan=22> <font size=2 face="courier"><tt><style>{font:7pt Courier ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: friedmi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a find/remove within a script

Greetings all, I am calling a remove from within a script that is used for a cleanup process.. It is not working as expected. Here is what I am doing. I have a config file that lists out a directory name, and the options to run Within the config file DIR1="find... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
9 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)