Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Several exec on find send all the output to the last redirection Post 302928540 by Tribe on Friday 12th of December 2014 12:37:02 PM
Old 12-12-2014
Several exec on find send all the output to the last redirection

Example script:

Code:
 find mydir -type f -exec echo {}>aaa \; -exec echo {}>bbb \;

The two paths go the the bbb file, while there should be one of them on each file. How should I do it to get it working?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection and output

I'm redirecting the output of a command to a logfile, however, if the user is on a terminal I would also like the output to be displayed on the screen. tar tvf some_tarfile >Logfile if the user is on a term then have the output to the Logfile and also be displayed on the screen at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nck
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection output

Hi there I have a script that runs but it outputs everything onto the screen instead of a file. I've tried using the > outputfile.txt however all it does is dump the output to the screen and creates an outputfile.txt but doesn't put anything in that file. Any help would be appreciated ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kma07
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection to exec does not work

Hello Experts, I am on Solaris 10 Due to some limitations in one of the vendor software, I am forced to output the command to exec and then run it from there. For example.. $(echo "/usr/bin/cp a.dat b.dat") # This works However, $(echo "/usr/bin/cat a.dat > c.dat") # This does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gokul Kumar G
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection

We have an application here that does some table queries and then prints the result on screen. I do not have the code of this application (which i will just call "queryCommand"), but what it does is that you call it with some parameters and it prints some info about the query and then the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolateh
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output redirection

Hello i am trying to write a script that will redirect the output to a certain file. Here is the code so far: #!/bin/bash ps -e | sort | more > psfile When I execute the script nothing happens since i assume the output was redirected to the file called psfile. When I try to look at the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfruiz34
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection of ls -l output

Hi I am making a script where i want to redirect the output of ls -l to a file Example #ls -l fil1.txt > /opt/temp/a.txt ac: No such file or directory I want to capture output of this command like here output is ac: No such file or directory can anyone help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish19
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection

Hi all I was wondering if there was a slicker way of doing this without the file - awk '{print $2}' FS=":" "${FILE}" > "${TMPFILE}" { read M_GRP_ID || m_fail 1 "Error: Read failed 1 (${FUNCNAME})" read M_GRP_WAIT || m_fail 1 "Error: Read failed 2 (${FUNCNAME})" }... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send job to Background after input redirection

Hi, I am having issues with syntax when I am trying to send a job to the background after a input redirection. I have this script which sends some files to different servers after zipping them. Once I execute it, it will ask for user input as of which server the files need to go to. (The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with I/O redirection via exec

Hello, I am running a shell script on AIX 6.1. The script calls ksh to run. ksh is also the login shell for the account under which I am running this script, but for convenience I always change to the bash shell via "exec bash" after I "su" to the account. The script redirects stdout and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
4 Replies
hexec(1)																  hexec(1)

NAME
hexec - a process execution hooking tool SYNOPSIS
hexec <OPTIONS> [expr] [cmd] [args...] DESCRIPTION
hexec is a tool to hook into process exececution calls (exec family of syscalls). You can define an expression that is executed against any hooked exec call. This expression may also contain a replacement exec call. OPTIONS SUMMARY
Here is a summary of the options to hexec. --help | -h Print a options/expr summary page --version | -v Print hexec version --log-out | -lo set output file for error and -print output OPTIONS
-h Print a options/expr summary page --help Print a options/expr summary page -lo Set the output file for error and -print output. This can be required if writing to stderr could cause malfunction because some processes read from stderr and expect a well defined output. EXPRESSIONS
The expression is executed against all process execution calls. If the expression returns true, the original call is skipped. <expr> -and <expr> <expr> -a <expr> <expr> <expr> Returns true if both expressions return true. If the left returns false, the right expression is never executed. <expr> -or <expr> <expr> -o <expr> Returns true if one of both expressions returns true. If the left returns true, the right expression is never executed. -path <pattern> Returns true if the path of the executable matches <pattern>. <pattern> is a bash compatible wild card pattern. -ipath <pattern> Same as -path, but case insensitive. -name <pattern> Returns true if the base name of the executable matches <pattern>. <pattern> is a bash compatible wild card pattern. -iname <pattern> Same as -name, but case insensitive. -contains <str> Returns true if the path of the executable containes the string <str>. -icontains <str> Same as -contains, but case insensitive. -print Print all arguments to the called process. Returns always true. -exec <cmd> [args...] ; Executes <cmd> with [args...] as arguments. This expression must be terminated with a semicolon. You can use argument placeholders in <cmd> and [args...] (see below). This expression always returns true. NOTE: Please be aware that you may need to escape or quote the terminating semicolon to not confuse your shell. -sh <script> Interprets <script> as a shell script by invoking /bin/sh with the arguments -c '<script>'. You can use argument placeholders inside <script>. Please note that -sh only expects a single argument and not a variable list of arguments (as -exec does). Using -sh is the same as using -exec sh -c <script>. PLACEHOLDERS FOR -exec EXPRESSION Every -exec expression can use placeholders in the argument list to obtain information from the original exec call. Each placeholder starts with { and ends with }. Use { if you want to use a { in your argument list. The placeholders are replaced when the -exec expression is evaluated. Placeholder types: {n} Will be replaced with the number of arguments in the original call. {<idx>} Will be replaced with the original argument at index <idx>. Example: {1} would give the first argument. You can prepend <idx> with placeholder flags. {} Will be replaced with all arguments from the original call. Each argument is seperated with a space. You can use placeholder flags. NOTE: The executable name is also considered as argument. This means that a call like "echo test" will result in two arguments, "echo" and "test". PLACEHOLDER FLAGS
s Every argument is inserted as single argument instead of concatenating all arguments. Consider the arguments 'a', 'b' and 'c'. Without s, -exec {} ; would result in -exec 'a b c' ;, which in many cases is not what you want. -exec {s} ; howewer would result in -exec 'a' 'b' 'c' ;. q Quote every single argument. e Escape all non alpha-numeric characters. This flag is very useful when using a "sh -c <...>" in the -exec expression. Examples -exec echo {} ; with the call 'a' 'b' 'c' results in: 'echo' 'a b c' -exec echo {q} ; with the call 'a' 'b' 'c' results in: 'echo' 'a' 'b' 'c' -exec sh -c 'echo {}; {}' ; with the call 'sh' '-c' 'gcc d.c >> log.txt' results in: 'sh' '-c' 'echo sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt; sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt' Please note that this will not do what you may expect, as the >> is handled wrong in this case. -exec sh -c 'echo {e}; {}' ; with the call 'sh' '-c' 'gcc d.c >> log.txt' results in: 'sh' '-c' 'echo sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt; sh -c gcc d.c >> log.txt' CHANGES TO PROCESSES
hexec will add some environment variables to the hooked processes. These are (may not be complete): LD_PRELOAD hexec adds libhexec-hook.so to the list of preloaded libraries. HEXEC_EXPR_SHM Contains the name of the internal shared memory object. HEXEC_LOG_FD Contains the file descriptor for error and -print output. Please do never modify these environment variables. Also take care when you use these variables, because the name and content of the vari- ables may change in the future. EXAMPLES
hexec -name 'gcc' -exec ccache {s} ; make Calls make, which will then call gcc several times. The executable name of each hooked process execution is tested against the file pattern "gcc" and "ccache {s}" is called each time a match is found. '{s}' will be replaced with the original (the hooked) call. In this example, a call to "gcc -o test.o test.c" would be replaced with "ccache gcc -o test.o test.c" HOW IT WORKS
TODO BUGS
I'm sure there are alot...it's still beta :) AUTHOR
hexec was written by Alexander Block http://blocksoftware.net/ If you wish to report a problem or make a suggestion then please email ablock@blocksoftware.net hexec is released under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later. Please see the file COPYING for license details. November 2008 hexec(1)