Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help require to edit multiple files Post 302928448 by srikanth38 on Thursday 11th of December 2014 04:43:37 PM
Old 12-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
How do we identify which field holds the company code? By field count? Your samples have 68, 55, and 12 fields, respectively.
I actually wanted to search "|FK|" in the file and take that position. Based on that position if any nulls are presented replace with "FK".

Now i found a way with above suggestion. I have kept file names and positions in one lookupfile and executing command something like as follows.

Code:
awk -F'|' 'NR>1 {if($6=="") $6="FK"}1' OFS='|' <file_name>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit Multiple Files in VI

Here's what I have... $ vi foo1 - open foo1 and work around for a while. I yank a few lines into a buffer and then :w to save. Next I :e foo2 to open foo2 and paste my buffer. I :w to save, but I would like to then be able to go directly back into foo1 where I was before I opened foo2. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

2. AIX

Locking a file when using VI to prevent multiple-edit sessions by diff users

At the office, we often have to edit one file with VI. We are 4-6 workers doing it and sometimes can be done at the same time. We have found a problem and want to prevent it with a file lock. Is it possible and how ? problem : Worker-a starts edit VI session on File-A at 1PM Worker-b... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require script to create two files

Hi folks, I have a input.file with the following contents:- flor geor enta vpal domi pegl cars mted four rose annc gabi ward dalv elph beac (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mithalr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit file sections that cross multiple lines?

Hello, I'm wondering where I could go to learn how to edit file sections that cross multiple lines. I'm wanting to write scripts that will add Gnome menu entries for all users on a system for scripts I write, etc. I can search an replace simple examples with sed, but this seems more complex. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and edit multiple files using a while loop

Hi all, I would like to simply read a file which lists a number of pathnames and files, then search and replace key strings using a few vi commands: :1,$s/search_str/replace_str/g<return> but I am not sure how to automate the <return> of these vis commands when I am putting this in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk - remove block of text, multiple actions for 'if', inline edit

I'm having a couple of issues. I'm trying to edit a nagios config and remove a host definition if a certain "host_name" is found. My thought is I would find host definition block containing the host_name I'm looking for and output the line numbers for the first and last lines. Using set, I will... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require single command to start script in multiple servers

I have 9 servers, on each server a script with common name is available. I send a token file to all server from 1 particular server. so when a daemon job checks that token file is available then it triggers the script.. I want to know is there any command or script which I will run/execute on... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help to Edit multiple column of a file

Hello Team, I want to know if there is any one liner command , using which I can edit multiple column of a file. input file input.txt (comma separated), taran, 12.45, uttam, 23.40, babay karan, 12.45, raju, 11.40, rahulg I want to update, 2nd and 4th column, but want all those column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttam Maji
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit and replace the multiple values in a file in one iteration

Hi All, I am preserving OLD and NEW values and want to replace the values in one go instead of using multiple sed and mv commands. Please help. echo "\nEnter the new qStart time '${CODE}' - (Hit Enter for No Change): \c" read NEW echo "\nEnter the new qStop time '${CODE}' - (Hit Enter for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to edit multiple files

Created a shell script to invoke sed to edit multiple files, but am missing something. Here's the shell script: oracle:$ cat edit_scripts.sh #!/bin/sh #------------------------------------------------------------------------------ # edit_scripts.sh # # This script executes sed to make global... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)