Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace words in file? Post 302928362 by junior-helper on Thursday 11th of December 2014 07:20:40 AM
Old 12-11-2014
s sed command: substitute
Ram regexp
Shyam replacement
g sed pattern flag: global substitution
-i sed command line option: "in place" editing

In other words, substitute every occurrence of Ram with Shyam and also change it in the file.

One problem could be that the mentioned sed command doesn't really ensure to match Ram as a single word, so it will also replace Ram in Ramesh, Rammstein and so on, too.

This awk might be more robust
Code:
awk '{ for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) if ($i == "Ram") { $i = "Shyam" }; print }' file

for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) in every line, parse every field
if ($i == "Ram") { $i = "Shyam" } if a field equals Ram, change that field to Shyam
print after all fields in a line are parsed (and potentially modified), print the whole line

Quote:
share any good link
Sed - An Introduction and Tutorial is pretty Smilie

Hope this helps.

---------- Post updated at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:17 PM ----------

Two are better than one...
This User Gave Thanks to junior-helper For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a word with a series of words in a file

Hi, I have a Template file 'TL.body' which says as follows: "There are no <FILENAME> files on the server. " The missing file names are identified and stored in a variable. For Eg: MISSFILE="abc.txt def.txt xyz.txt" I want the values of MISSFILE variable to be replaced against... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brap45
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace words in file based on another file

Hello, Can someone kindy help me solve this problem..I am using SunOS shell script I got a file A with following content: This is my correct document. I wrote 111 This is my incorrect word , 222 This is my wrong statement 333 This is my correct document 444 This is my correct document 555... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed replace words in file and keep some

lets see if i can explain this in a good way. im trying to replace some words in a file but i need to know what the words are that is beeing replaced. not sure if sed can do this. file.name.something.1DATA01.something.whatever sed "s/./.DATA?????/g" need to know what the first . is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting concatenated words in input file with words from the same file

Dear all, I am working with names and I have a large file of names in which some words are written together (upto 4 or 5) and their corresponding single forms are also present in the word-list. An example would make this clear annamarie mariechristine johnsmith johnjoseph smith john smith... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the words in the file to the words that user type?

Hello, I would like to change my setting in a file to the setting that user input. For example, by default it is ONBOOT=ON When user key in "YES", it would be ONBOOT=YES -------------- This code only adds in the entire user input, but didn't replace it. How do i go about... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace some specific words from file?

I have the file like this. cat 123.txt <p> <table border='1' width='90%' align='center' summary='Script output'> <tr><td>text </td> </tr> </table> </p> I want to replace some tags and want the output like below. I tried with awk & sed commands. But no luck. Could someone help me on this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace matching words defined in one file on another file?

I have file1 and file2 as shown below, file1: ((org14/1-131541:0.11535,((org29/1-131541:0.00055,org7/1-131541:0.00055)1.000:0.10112,((org17/1-131541:0.07344,(org23/1-131541:0.07426,((org10/1-131541:0.00201,org22/1-131541:0.00243)1.000:0.02451, file2: org14=india org29=america... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
5 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)