Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed command that deletes lines with 3-5 digit strings Post 302927971 by Don Cragun on Monday 8th of December 2014 12:59:39 AM
Old 12-08-2014
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Nila,
There is a special forum for homework assignments. Please do not respond to homework assignments posted to the regular forums.

And, when responding to posts in the Homework and Classwork forum, guide the submitter towards the answer; don't just do their homework for them.

This forum is not a tool to be used by students who want to get other people to do their homework for them.

Users submitting homework questions to the regular forums and users doing homework for students can both receive infractions. Repeated infractions can lead to being banned from this site.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace one digit by two digit using sed

Folks, Is there a simple way to replace one digit by two digit using sed. Example, mydigit1918_2006_8_8_lag1.csv should be mydigit1918_2006_08_08_lag01.csv. I tried this way, but doesn't work. echo mydigit1989_2006_8_8_lag1.csv|sed 's/]/0]/' Thank you, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jae
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program which deletes all lines ...

Shell Program which deletes all lines containing the word "UNIX" in the files supplied as argument..please help me to do this task :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhiseknitd
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get lines started with matched strings using sed or grep for loop?

I have a huge file and want to separate it into several subsets. The file looks like: C1 C2 C3 C4 ... (variable names) 1 .... 2 .... 3 .... : 22 .... 23 .... I want to separate the huge file using the column 1, which has numbers from 1 to 23 (but there are different amount of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMBER
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place digit in front of the line searching pattern using sed command

hi All, i want to add the single digit front of the line in the report file and string compare with pattern file. patter file: pattern1.txt pattern num like 4 love 3 john 2 report file: report.txt i like very much but john is good boy i will love u so after execute... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command rm deletes filename but not the blocks

Hi It happens when I try to delete a file of 250MB with the command rm -r on our old Intergraph CLIX that the filename disappears while the blocks remain on the machine. Only when I reboot the system the blocks really disappear. Then rm works again for sometime but after some time it happens... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: hausi2012
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk for lines between two strings multiple times and keep the last one

Hi, I am trying to get lines between the last occurrences of two patterns. I have files that have several occurrences of “Standard” and “Visual”. I will like to get the lines between “Standard” and “Visual” but I only want to retain only the last one e.g. Standard Some words Some words Some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: damanidada
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two strings multiple occurencies (with sed, awk, or grep)

Hello, I can extract lines in a file, between two strings but only one time. If there are multiple occurencies, my command show only one block. Example, monfichier.txt contains : debut_sect texte L1 texte L2 texte L3 texte L4 fin_sect donnees inutiles 1 donnees inutiles 2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that takes IP address as an Input and deletes 7 lines

I have a flat file that contains a list of IP address following 6 additional lines. I would like to get a help in the following. a shell script that would take ip address or list of ip addresses as input, search one by one the ip address in the file and as soon as it find the exact match it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
MRTG-FORUM(1)							       mrtg							     MRTG-FORUM(1)

NAME
mrtg-forum - Interactive Help for MRTG users SYNOPSIS
There is a lot of written documentation for mrtg, but nevertheless you may have a problem where you can't find the solution. In this case some Human Help may be necessary. With MRTG there are several ways to get Humans to help you. MAILING-LIST There are three mailing lists for MRTG available. mrtg for discussion among mrtg users. mrtg-announce for announcements regarding new versions of mrtg related software. mrtg-developers for discussion among people who write software in connection with mrtg or who hack mrtg itself. THE RULES Please note that the memebers of the mrtg mailinglist value politeness highly. This means behave in a way you would like others to behave towards you. o No shouting. (NO CAPS) o No rude language o No demands. everybody is on the list out of their own free will. If you do not get an answer to your question, chances are high that you did not give sufficent details about the nature of your problem or that the answer to your problem is in the documentation. o If you do not follow the rules you will be unsubscribed from the list with no further questions asked. o Decisions about your unsubscription from the list will be taken by Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net> Paul C. Williamson <pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM> If you feel that you have been treated unfairly, you may send mail to me and explain the situation. Tobi Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> SUBSCRIBING These lists are managed by a mailing-list management program (listar). It allows you to subscribe to these lists by sending a message with the subject: subscribe to the following address: listname-request@lists.oetiker.ch You will then get a message asking you to confirm your subscription. For posting to the lists use the following address listname@lists.oetiker.ch Note that only people who are subscribed to the list can post. Further information about the usage of the mailing lists is available by sending a message with the subject line help to either one of the request addresses. There is also a webinterface to the lists on http://lists.oetiker.ch List archives are on http://www.mail-archive.com/index.php?hunt=mrtg and http://gmane.org/find.php?list=mrtg NEWSGROUP
For discussion of MRTG or related topics on the Usenet, please send your posts to: news:comp.dcom.net-management Many MRTG users are in this forum and will help you. You can also find an archive of past activity from this Newsgroup on: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.net-management IRC Channel For discussion of MRTG and related topics on IRC, the `#mrtg' channel on EFNet has been created. More information can be found at http://mrtg.easymac.org MRTG Japan There is a special Mailinglist for MRTG Users in Japan. It carries translations of the traffic from MRTG-ANNOUNCE as well as updates on the Japanese Translation of the MRTG documentation. Go to http://www.mrtg.jp/ for further Information. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> and many contributors 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-FORUM(1)