Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How much take space Linux operating system? Post 302927795 by ongoto on Friday 5th of December 2014 01:40:59 PM
Old 12-05-2014
Another thing to consider is the amount of ram you have. 1GB is the bare minimum now days to run Win or Linux. Both would run much better with 2GB or more.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Bangkok Post Article: The story behind the Linux operating system

http://www.bangkokpost.com/020403_Database/02Apr2003_datacol59.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operating system LINUX

Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced. Each product will be produced in different production line. Ready products will be placed in a buffer area located at the end of each production line. Packaging workers will pack the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paradise
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux is kernel and solaris is operating system

Hi I was reading some weblog on the internet and someone made an interesting statement. <quote> Linux is kernel and solaris is operating system </quote> Honestly I don't understand the difference between term kernel and operating system in above quote. Could you explain me more ? thx... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

establishing connection with e-kermit running on LINUX from my operating system

we designed a primitive operating system for learning basics fundamentals and we created process switching, interrupt/polled IO for device drivers like UART and printers. We accomplish this by using our own tools called SPEDE (for downloading compiled elf image from host ubuntu system that have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bicepjai
0 Replies

8. Linux

Linux Operating system concepts

hi guys, i got job recently in a company which provide a product for data backup and data recovery... as dis product is wrriten in c++ am workin in c++.. now am under training and i want to learn abt Operating System concepts and OS programming using c and c++. i know basic c and c++ programming... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.march
3 Replies

9. Linux

Customized Linux Operating System with Security Authentication

Dear Gurus/Experts of UNIX/LINUX, Im Isravel from India, I've customized CentOS Installation ISO as per my new product requirements. I want to give serial key authentication to the clients who all are trying to install ISO file. Can anyone guide me how to create serial key authentication... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isravelraja
1 Replies
PACKAGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							PACKAGE(1)

NAME
package - register package user via mailagent SYNOPSIS
package address system version patchlevel [ mailpatches | notifypatches ] DESCRIPTION
This command is not intended to be run directly by a user, but may appear in any mail whose subject is set to Command. Such mail will be processed by the mailagent(1), which will extract all lines beginning with @SH, which may specify this command. The mailagent first sets environment variables that will be used by the command. Package is used to notify the author of a package about its users. It is normally generated automatically by the MailAuthor.U unit when the user runs Configure. If the patchlevel specified is not the latest for that system and version, mail is immediately sent suggesting that they upgrade and remindng them how to request the latest patches. The final parameter, if included may be set to mailpatches to specify that the user would like to have future patches mailed to them, or notifypatches to specify that a mail notification of future patches should be sent, rather than the entire patch. The user's address and notification request are saved in the file users in the package's directory. Package performs an approximate address match in order to avoid duplicate entries. Whenever this elimination occurs, a warning message is issued in the logfile. Two addresses will be said equivalent if one of them has an added machine name or if they are really equal. There- fore, the following addresses are equivalent: ram@acri.fr ram@main.acri.fr whereas the following two are not equivalent, unfortunately: ram@acri.acri.fr ram@main.acri.fr When a user is asking to be left alone, it is important to let him know if the request failed, because he will be annoyed when the next set of patches is issued and he still gets them despite his previous request. Therefore, if no approximate match occurs, a warning message is sent back, with a list of addresses that are close to his own e-mail address, but not equivalent. Fortunately, the following addresses are considered close: ram@acri.fr ram@somewhere.com raphael@main.acri.fr manfredi@acri.acri.fr because they either have the same login (important when someone changes company) or share the same domain or sub-domain part. In order to edit the users file, the edusers script should be used. For one thing, it will let you edit the users file from whatever pack- age you name in the command line, but it will also properly lock the file so that the execution of package will stall for the duration of the manual edition (provided you have a strict locking policy defined in your ~/.mailagent configuration file). FORWARDING
Package supports command forwarding as described in the mailhelp(1) page. FILES
~/.mailagent configuration file for mailagent. System/users list of users of that system. This file consists of single line records, one for each registered user. Each record consists of three tab-separated fields. The first field indicates the level of updates requested by the user by a single letter as follows: M Mail future patches directly to the user when they are issued. N Notify the user of future patches. U The users chose to let the author know that they have tried the program, but does not wish to know about future updates. L The user is no longer interested in the program and wants to be left alone. The second field is their last notified patch level, or a dash (-) if it is not known. The third field is the user's Email address. Log/agentlog mailagent's log file AUTHORS
Graham Stoney <greyham@research.canon.oz.au> Raphael Manfredi <Raphael_Manfredi@pobox.com> (minor enhancements) SEE ALSO
edusers(1), mailagent(1), metaconfig(1). PACKAGE(1)