Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep in specific columns
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep in specific columns Post 302927500 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 3rd of December 2014 12:56:02 PM
Old 12-03-2014
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{sear[$0];next} {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) if ($i in sear) printf("Found %s in column %d [row %d]\n", $i, i, FNR)}' listfile searchfile

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific columns

hi All, Thi sis very urgent. I have large files with pipe delimited. For example: 1.txt 1001024|120|9|-0.0|#| 1001025|120|9|#| 1001026|120|9|#| 1001032|120|2|-0.0|#| 1002026|110|9|#| 1002027|110|9|-0.0|#| 1002028|120|1|1.0|#| I need to replace the 4th filed if it is # by |-| my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep based on specific columns.

Hi, How can I grep a record for a value based on specific column. If I simply do a grep 'AB' FilenName.txt, I might end up getting the records returned whose part of value is 'AB'. But I want it specific to second column. cut -d'|' -f 2 FileName.txt | grep 'AB' But now it will return... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mean of the specific columns

I have a input file that has some common values in 1st,2nd and 3rd columns. 4th and 5th are different. Now I would like to print the mean of the fourth column of similar values in 1st.2nd and 3rd columns along with all the values in 5th column. input NM_0 1.22 CR5 0.4 n_21663... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific columns in one file with columns in another file

HELLO! This is my first post here! By the way, I think it is great that people do this. My question: I have two files, one is a .dilm and one is a .txt. It is my understanding that the .dilm file can be treated as a .txt file. I wrote another program where I was able to manipulate it as if it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehdib
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

ls in specific columns

Hello, i need to get the ls output in 2 columns.1st column the directories and 2nd the files... Also each column must be sorted by time... For example if the >>ls command gives me this : /dir2 /dir /dir1 /dir3 file1 file2 I need to take this : /dir file1 /dir1 ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific columns

Hi group, Can you please tell how to delete specific columns from a file. I know something like awk -F, '{ print $1" "$2" "15 }' input.txt > output.txt will delete all other columns. But this is in a way to copy some particular columns. But is there any other way to select just some... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: smitra
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing lines with specific strings at specific columns

Hi I have a file which is tab-delimited. Now, I'd like to print the lines which have "chr6" string in both first and second columns. Could anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Intersection by specific columns

Hi, I'd like to intersect two files by the 4th col of the first file and 6th col of the second file. This is the code I use: awk 'NR==FNR{A;next}$6 File1 File2 However, this is only outputting the second file lines. I'd like to have both lines in a single line separated by a tab. Thanks in... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
25 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge specific columns of two files

Hello, I have two tab delimited text files. Both files have the same number of rows but not necessarily the same number of columns. The column headers look like, File 1: f0order CVorder Name f0 RI_9 E99 E199 E299 E399 E499 E599 E699 E799 E899 E999 File 2:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)