Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash question: working with an array of previously set variable strings Post 302927254 by RudiC on Monday 1st of December 2014 05:16:17 PM
Old 12-01-2014
There's at least two workarounds for that assignment statement:
Code:
- eval range=( $port2195 $port2196 $port5223 $port443 ) # deprecated as eval can be dangerous (see many a post in these fora)
- range=( $(echo $port2195 $port2196 $port5223 $port443 ))

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Check if variable is set or blank

Hello guys. In my script, i have the following code: echo "The tarfile contains these directorys" tar -tf file.tar > tarlist.txt cat tarlist | awk -F/ '{print $1 "/" $2}' | nl echo "Enter path of the directory you want to extract or just press enter to extract everything: " read path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if two variable are empty strings at once? (bash)

I need to check if $1 or $2 are empty before continuing but I don't know if bash has any logic of the sort. This is what I'm looking for - except that "and" doesn't seem to work. if and ;then ... Thank you! :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving awk value in a bash array variable

hi all i am trying to save an awk value into an array in bash: total=`awk '{sum+=$3} END {print sum}' "$count".txt"` ((count++)) the above statement is in a while loop.. $count is to keep track of file numbers (1.txt,2.txt,3.txt,etc.) i get the following error: ./lines1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - set specific user variable via string operators

Apologies for the utter triviality of this question, but we all have to start somewhere! I've also tried searching but this question is pretty vague so I didn't (a) really know what to search for or (b) get many relevant hits to what I did search for. Anyway, I'm in the process of self-teaching... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u5j84
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable (set via awk+sed) not working as expected

Hi! Been working on a script and I've been having a problem. I've finally narrowed it down to this variable I'm setting: servername=$(awk -v FS=\/ '{ print $7 } blah.txt | sed 's\/./-/g' | awk -v FS=\- '{print $1}')" This will essentially pare down a line like this: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: creativedynamo
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash array name from variable

Hi gurus, I need to create arrays from variables, via a loop. The issue I have is with the array name creation. How do I use a variable to define an array? I want to do something like declare -a $H where $H is my loop variable. I then need to add items to each array I've created,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melias
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get value from array and set those values as a variable

I am new to ksh scripting, specially array. How do i get values from an array and set the value as variable and pass those variables to the different functions?? someone taught me how to get input from a file with have columns i need to read, but now i doesnt know how to set those value to be a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavin_L
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script set command to a variable

Hi, Will following set up work in bash script? I've got errors if assigning following binary command to a variable. But on the other hand, COMMAND="ls" works. Any explanation please? How can I assign binary command to a variable COMMAND then I can just call ${COMMAND}? COMMAND="rsync"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding an element to a bash array with a variable

Hello, I have a simple task and I am having some trouble with the syntax. I have a variable with an assigned value, CMD_STRING='-L 22 -s 0 -r -O -A i -N 100 -n' I would like to add that variable to an array. As far as I have been able to look up, the syntax should be something like, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to mount previously-working NFS share from NIM to LPAR

Right, now that I've finally worked out this website, I'll ask my question! I am having an absolute nightmare with NFS on AIX. I have used it many times, and I know what I'm doing, however I cannot fathom what is going on here. I have 2 LPARs, sitting on the same physical host. They are... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmooredba
12 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)