Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash question: working with an array of previously set variable strings Post 302927251 by hungryd on Monday 1st of December 2014 05:04:50 PM
Old 12-01-2014
Display Bash question: working with an array of previously set variable strings

while i've used arrays to work with variables, i've never used them to loop through a set of strings and wanted to ask the community for some feedback or assistance.

let me be specific. here's my code:

Code:
# URL port Variables
port2195=`nc -z $url2195 2195`
port2196=`nc -z $url2196 2196`
port5223=`nc -z $url5223 5223`
port443=`nc -z $url443 443`

# Set array
range=( port2195 port2196 port5223 port443 )

echo ""
echo "Now checking the ports..."
echo ""

for i in "${range[@]}"
do
	if [[ "$i" = *succeeded* ]];
	then
		echo "SUCCESS: $i is open/working."
	else
		echo "FAILURE: $i is NOT open/working."
	fi	
done

this code works just fine.... just not in the way that i want!

the script is passing the members of the array exactly as i've typed them, one at a time: port2195, port2196, port5223, etc.

what i'm trying to do and failing to achieve is to pass each member of the array as a previously established string: $port2195, $port2196, $port5223, etc.

changing the names of each member of the array to include a "$", doesn't work, neither does adding a second "$" into the if statement.

i'm not even sure if you can pass strings via an array but, if it is possible, much obliged for someone to drop me a few pointers.

cheers,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Check if variable is set or blank

Hello guys. In my script, i have the following code: echo "The tarfile contains these directorys" tar -tf file.tar > tarlist.txt cat tarlist | awk -F/ '{print $1 "/" $2}' | nl echo "Enter path of the directory you want to extract or just press enter to extract everything: " read path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if two variable are empty strings at once? (bash)

I need to check if $1 or $2 are empty before continuing but I don't know if bash has any logic of the sort. This is what I'm looking for - except that "and" doesn't seem to work. if and ;then ... Thank you! :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving awk value in a bash array variable

hi all i am trying to save an awk value into an array in bash: total=`awk '{sum+=$3} END {print sum}' "$count".txt"` ((count++)) the above statement is in a while loop.. $count is to keep track of file numbers (1.txt,2.txt,3.txt,etc.) i get the following error: ./lines1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - set specific user variable via string operators

Apologies for the utter triviality of this question, but we all have to start somewhere! I've also tried searching but this question is pretty vague so I didn't (a) really know what to search for or (b) get many relevant hits to what I did search for. Anyway, I'm in the process of self-teaching... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u5j84
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable (set via awk+sed) not working as expected

Hi! Been working on a script and I've been having a problem. I've finally narrowed it down to this variable I'm setting: servername=$(awk -v FS=\/ '{ print $7 } blah.txt | sed 's\/./-/g' | awk -v FS=\- '{print $1}')" This will essentially pare down a line like this: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: creativedynamo
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash array name from variable

Hi gurus, I need to create arrays from variables, via a loop. The issue I have is with the array name creation. How do I use a variable to define an array? I want to do something like declare -a $H where $H is my loop variable. I then need to add items to each array I've created,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melias
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get value from array and set those values as a variable

I am new to ksh scripting, specially array. How do i get values from an array and set the value as variable and pass those variables to the different functions?? someone taught me how to get input from a file with have columns i need to read, but now i doesnt know how to set those value to be a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavin_L
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script set command to a variable

Hi, Will following set up work in bash script? I've got errors if assigning following binary command to a variable. But on the other hand, COMMAND="ls" works. Any explanation please? How can I assign binary command to a variable COMMAND then I can just call ${COMMAND}? COMMAND="rsync"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding an element to a bash array with a variable

Hello, I have a simple task and I am having some trouble with the syntax. I have a variable with an assigned value, CMD_STRING='-L 22 -s 0 -r -O -A i -N 100 -n' I would like to add that variable to an array. As far as I have been able to look up, the syntax should be something like, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to mount previously-working NFS share from NIM to LPAR

Right, now that I've finally worked out this website, I'll ask my question! I am having an absolute nightmare with NFS on AIX. I have used it many times, and I know what I'm doing, however I cannot fathom what is going on here. I have 2 LPARs, sitting on the same physical host. They are... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmooredba
12 Replies
MIN(3)									 1								    MIN(3)

min - Find lowest value

SYNOPSIS
mixed min (array $values) DESCRIPTION
mixed min (mixed $value1, mixed $value2, [mixed $...]) If the first and only parameter is an array, min(3) returns the lowest value in that array. If at least two parameters are provided, min(3) returns the smallest of these values. Note Values of different types will be compared using the standard comparison rules. For instance, a non-numeric string will be com- pared to an integer as though it were 0, but multiple string values will be compared alphanumerically. The actual value returned will be of the original type with no conversion applied. PARAMETERS
o $values - An array containing the values. o $value1 - Any comparable value. o $value2 - Any comparable value. o $... - Any comparable value. RETURN VALUES
min(3) returns the parameter value considered "lowest" according to standard comparisons. If multiple values of different types evaluate as equal (e.g. 0 and 'abc') the first provided to the function will be returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example uses of min(3) <?php echo min(2, 3, 1, 6, 7); // 1 echo min(array(2, 4, 5)); // 2 // The string 'hello' when compared to an int is treated as 0 // Since the two values are equal, the order they are provided determines the result echo min(0, 'hello'); // 0 echo min('hello', 0); // hello // Here we are comparing -1 < 0, so -1 is the lowest value echo min('hello', -1); // -1 // With multiple arrays of different lengths, min returns the shortest $val = min(array(2, 2, 2), array(1, 1, 1, 1)); // array(2, 2, 2) // Multiple arrays of the same length are compared from left to right // so in our example: 2 == 2, but 4 < 5 $val = min(array(2, 4, 8), array(2, 5, 1)); // array(2, 4, 8) // If both an array and non-array are given, the array is never returned // as comparisons treat arrays as greater than any other value $val = min('string', array(2, 5, 7), 42); // string // If one argument is NULL or a boolean, it will be compared against // other values using the rule FALSE < TRUE regardless of the other types involved // In the below examples, both -10 and 10 are treated as TRUE in the comparison $val = min(-10, FALSE, 10); // FALSE $val = min(-10, NULL, 10); // NULL // 0, on the other hand, is treated as FALSE, so is "lower than" TRUE $val = min(0, TRUE); // 0 ?> SEE ALSO
max(3), count(3). PHP Documentation Group MIN(3)