Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed inside awk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed inside awk Post 302927229 by senhia83 on Monday 1st of December 2014 03:44:58 PM
Old 12-01-2014
sed inside awk

What I want to do is delete everything upto the last underscore (_) in column 2.

Code:
 awk '{ $2=$(echo $2 | sed 's/.*_//'); print $0}'

Sed works fine if I echo the string into it, this doesnt work inside awk. What am I doing wrong?

Similarly, how do I store the substring starting with a keyword KEY,

So if my 2nd column is

Code:
WGGG_TTGSGGDS_KEY12-34

then I want to output
Code:
KEY12-34

Code:
In
23 WGGG_TTGSGGDS_KEY12-34 45
26 WGGG_TTGSG67S_KEY14-34 47

Out
23 KEY12-34 45
26 KEY14-34 47

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string (charachters inside the line) to a fixed width file using awk or sed

Source File: abcdefghijklmnop01qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop02qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop03qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop04qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop05qrstuvwxyz Whatever characters are in 17-18 on each line of the file, it should be concatenated to the same line at the character number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help using sed inside the loop.

Hi, i have written a script. it collects data based on the sql queries executed by it. i have multiple output files. after the output file is made i need to do some cosmetic changes in the files and then store them. i am unable to use sed conditions inside the loop. see below code for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed inside sed for replacing string

My need is : Want to change docBase="/something/something/something" to docBase="/only/this/path/for/all/files" I have some (about 250 files)xml files. In FileOne it contains <Context path="/PPP" displayName="PPP" docBase="/home/me/documents" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable inside sed

Problem: Need to read contents from a file and use that value inside sed as avariable. sample code below. THe below code replaces contents inside file123 for matched string with "$x" value only. but we want the value of x which is read from TextFile.txt to go in there. cat TextFile.txt|while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvsanthosh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed inside shellscript

Hi All, I am trying to use sed command inside a shell script. The same sed command is working on command line, however its not working while using inside a shell script. From various sources i found , it could be done by using -i option, but its not working as well. sed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed inside system call in awk

HI , I am trying to write a code where if a file system has / at the end then replace it with null but it should not affect root file system / for example if ip is /var/opt/home/ then o/p is /var/opt/home but if ip is / then it should remain /. for this i am using below code but no success... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk statement piped inside sed

Hello folks, I have multiple occurrences of the pattern: ).: where is any digit, in various text context but the pattern is unique as this regex. And I need to turn this decimal fraction into an integer (corresponding percent value: the range of 0-100). What I'm doing is: cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roussine
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed inside the awk script to replace a string in the array

The requirement is i need to find an array value matching with pattern {5:{ , replace that with 5: and reassign that to same array index and print it. I write something like below and the issue is sed command is not working. If i replace " with "`" the script gives syntax error.how can i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)