Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Need to replace a column value in UNIX file Post 302927133 by derekludwig on Monday 1st of December 2014 06:12:09 AM
Old 12-01-2014
If these are constant 80 character width records:
Code:
sed -e 's/3\(..\)$/4\1/'

If not:
Code:
awk 'BEGIN { FS = OFS = ""; } $(78) == "3" { $(78) = "4"; } { print; }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Replace string in unix from 10th column onwards

Hi All, I need to replace the last 19 bytes of the following string My_Org_Testing_20090102_231124.txt (Text_Date_Time.txt). I would like to derive the current time using "date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S.txt" and replace the last 19 bytes of the above string I would appreciate if someone could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpk2008
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match column 3 in file1 to column 1 in file 2 and replace with column 2 from file2

Match column 3 in file1 to column 1 in file 2 and replace with column 2 from file2 file 1 sample SNDK 80004C101 AT XLNX 983919101 BB NETL 64118B100 BS AMD 007903107 CC KLAC 482480100 DC TER 880770102 KATS ATHR 04743P108 KATS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rydz00
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace values in a specified column of a file

Hello, I have a file with four columns and I would like to replace values in the second column only. An arbitrary example is: 100 A 105 B 200 B 205 C 300 C 305 D 400 D 405 E 500 E 505 F I need to replace the second column as shown below: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column with column from another file

Hello, I am trying to replace the column in file1 with the column from file2. The two files will have the same amount of rows. Each row will correspond with the same row in the other file. File1 "Replace this column" 500 13-APR-2011... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: doobe01
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace a column with values from another file

Dear all, I have a file1.pdb in pdb format and a dat file2 containing values, corresponding to the atoms in the pdb file. these values (file2.dat) need to be in the column instead of the 0.00 (file1) values for each atom in file1.pdb .(the red values must be replaced by the blue ones,in order)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chen.xiao.po
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column that matches specific pattern, with column data from another file

Can anyone please help with this? I have 2 files as given below. If 2nd column of file1 has pattern foo1@a, find the matching 1st column in file2 & replace 2nd column of file1 with file2's value. file1 abc_1 foo1@a .... abc_1 soo2@a ... def_2 soo2@a .... def_2 foo1@a ........ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashali
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy a column to another column in UNIX fixedwidth file

Hi All, I have a fixedwidth file of length 3000. Now i want to copy a column of 4 chars i.e( length 1678-1681) to column 1127 – 1171 to the same file. Please let me know how can i achive using a single command in fixed width file. Also source column length is 4 chars and target column length... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranparsha
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column values from other file

I have one file as it has the following format File1 S No Site IP Address 1 Australia 192.168.0.1/26 2 Australia 192.168.0.2/26 3 Australia 192.168.0.3/26 I need awk/sed command to replace the column2 value ( under Site) with some other... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samaritan
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match column 8 in file 1 with column 2 in file 2 and replace..

I am looking at the NR==FNR posts and trying to use them to achieve the following but I am not getting it. I have 2 files. I want to match column 8 in file 1 with column 2 in file 2. When they match I want to replace column 9 in file 1 with column 1 in file 2. This is and extract from file 1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first column in 17GB File

Hi All, I have a 17GB file and i want to set the first column from 1234567890 to just 0, how can i do it using sed command? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:07 PM ---------- btw, my file is delimited by "|" and 1234567890 is just an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora132010
7 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Fc ] [ prog ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog. With each pattern in prog there can be an asso- ciated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. The set of patterns may appear literally as prog, or in a file specified as -f file. Files are read in order; if there are no files, the standard input is read. The file name `-' means the standard input. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. An input line is made up of fields separated by white space. (This default can be changed by using FS, vide infra.) The fields are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ] while ( conditional ) statement for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement break continue { [ statement ] ... } variable = expression print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line exit # skip the rest of the input Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for the whole line. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %, and concatenation (indicated by a blank). The C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. String constants are quoted "...". The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. The printf statement formats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3)). The built-in function length returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument. There are also built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int. The last truncates its argument to an integer. substr(s, m, n) returns the n-character sub- string of s that begins at position m. The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...) formats the expressions according to the printf(3) for- mat given by fmt and returns the resulting string. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep. Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regu- lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between an occurrence of the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain). A condi- tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN must be the first pattern, END the last. A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with BEGIN { FS = "c" } or by using the -Fc option. Other variable names with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS, the output record separator (default newline); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g"). EXAMPLES
Print lines longer than 72 characters: length > 72 Print first two fields in opposite order: { print $2, $1 } Add up first column, print sum and average: { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Print fields in reverse order: { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i } Print all lines between start/stop pairs: /start/, /stop/ Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one: $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, Awk - a pattern scanning and processing language BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. AWK(1)