Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash-awk to process thousands of files Post 302926953 by Don Cragun on Friday 28th of November 2014 07:46:01 PM
Old 11-28-2014
I'm glad my script is helping you.

And, as junior-helper said, the commands:
Code:
	if [ ! -d "$dd" ]
	then	mkdir "$dd"
	fi

checks to see of the destination directory ($dd) exists. If it does not exist, the then clause creates the directory. Since this test is performed each time through the loop, we expect that the directory will not exist the first time through the loop after the destination directory changes. On subsequent times through the loop with other files destined for the same target directory, it will already exist and no attempt will be made to create it again.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a specific pattern from thousands of files ????

Hi All, I want to find a specific pattern from approximately 400000 files on solaris platform. Its very heavy for me to grep that pattern to each file individually. Can anybody suggest me some way to search for specific pattern (alpha numeric) from these forty thousand files. Please note that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trnsmiting thousands ftp files and get an error message

Im transmiting thousands ftp files to a server, when type the command mput *, an error comes and say. args list to long. set to I. So ihave to transmit them in batch or blocks, but its too sloww. what shoul i do?. i need to do a program, or with a simple command i could solve the problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can awk do lookups to other files and process results

I know that 'brute-force' scripting could accomplish this with lots of cat/echo/cut/grep and more. But, because my real file has 800k records, and the matching files have 10-20k records, this is not time-possible or efficient. I have input file: > cat file_in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying Thousands of Tiny or Empty Files?

There is a procedure I do here at work where I have to synchronize file systems. The source file system always has three or four directories of hundreds of thousands of tiny (1k or smaller) or empty files. Whenever my rsync command reaches these directories, I'm waiting for hours for those files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to parallelize work on thousands of files

I need to find a smarter way to process about 60,000 files in a single directory. Every night a script runs on each file generating a output on another directory; this used to take 5 hours, but as the data grows it is taking 7 hours. The files are of different sizes, but there are 16 cores... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhope07
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate mean in AWK? line by line several files, thousands of lines

I'm kinda stuck on this one, I have 7 files with 30.000 lines/file like this 050 0.023 0.504336 050 0.024 0.529521 050 0.025 0.538908 050 0.026 0.537035 I want to find the mean line by line of the third column from the files named like this: Stat-f-1.dat .... Stat-f-7.dat Stat-s-1.dat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AriasFco
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for patterns in thousands of files

Hi All, I want to search for a certain string in thousands of files and these files are distributed over different directories created daily. For that I created a small script in bash but while running it I am getting the below error: /ms.sh: xrealloc: subst.c:5173: cannot allocate... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple large files with awk

Hi there, I'm camor and I'm trying to process huge files with bash scripting and awk. I've got a dataset folder with 10 files (16 millions of row each one - 600MB), and I've got a sorted file with all keys inside. For example: a sample_1 200 a.b sample_2 10 a sample_3 10 a sample_1 10 a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camor
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash find with expression - process all files except the starting-points

Hello. This command is correct : find /home/user_install \( \ \( -type d \( -iname "*firefox*" -o -iname ".cache" -o -iname "libreoffice" \ -o -iname "session" -o -wholename "/home/user_install/dir1/dir2/¬¬ICONS_WALLPAPERS_THEMES" \) \) -prune -o \ \( -type f \( -iname... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
create directory(1m)													      create directory(1m)

NAME
create directory - Creates a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp create directory directory-name [clearinghouse clearinghouse-name] ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory The name of the clearinghouse in which you create the directory. DESCRIPTION
The create directory command creates a directory with the name that you specify. If you do not specify a clearinghouse, CDS creates the master replica of the directory in the same clearinghouse as the new directory's parent directory. Privilege Required You must have the following permissions in order to create a directory: read and insert permission to the parent directory; write permis- sion to the clearinghouse in which the master replica of the new directory is to be stored. In addition, the server principal must have read and insert permission to the parent directory. NOTES
To ensure that all replicas are consistent, perform an immediate skulk of the parent directory after issuing this command. This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command creates a directory named /.:/sales. cdscp> create directory /.:/sales RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: delete directory(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) create directory(1m)