Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using awk to multiple and replace in a specific line Post 302926919 by vgersh99 on Friday 28th of November 2014 12:22:47 PM
Old 11-28-2014
awk doesn't do in-line editing. The 'poor-man' hack for that might be:
Code:
{ rm file1.txt; awk '{if(NR==3) printf ".9f", $1*0.96}' > file1.txt;} < file1.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace specific text line out of multiple occurance

Hi I would like to replace specific line eg ExitAction = NONE to ExitAction = FALSE under only TASK sipsiproc and other ExitAction = NONE will remain as usual in the file(shell script) The file contains: TASK rgcdproc { CommandLine = $SSHOME/bin/rgcd.exe NewConsole... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in SPECIFIC multiple files

I have a list of files with different file names and ext that i need replace(saved as file_list.txt.) i just want to replace from a specific file list. i obtain an error saying lint not found. Plz help. Thx perl -e "s/$NAME/$T_NAME/gi;" -pi $(find . -type f | xargs -0 lint -e < file_list.txt) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yvmy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple-line search and replace one-liner

Hi I am trying to search and replace a multi line pattern in a php file using awk. The pattern starts with <div id="navbar"> and ends with </div> and spans over an unknown number of lines. I need the command to be a one liner. I use the "record separator" like this : awk -v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Line awk search and replace

I have a log file that contains many lines but contains the following line three times: related_pin : "t_bypass"; Here are the 3 occurrences and the two lines after from my file.txt: related_pin : "t_bypass"; sdf_cond : "rstq_b"; timing_sense : negative_unate; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygb2003
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search for specific line and replace nth column

I need to be able to search for a string in the first column and if that string exists than replace the nth column with "-9.99". AW12000012012 2.38 1.51 3.01 1.66 0.90 0.91 1.22 0.82 0.57 1.67 2.31 3.63 0.00 AW12000012013 1.52 0.90 1.20 1.34 1.21 0.67 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)