Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ignore special characters in loop Post 302926829 by Devaraj A on Thursday 27th of November 2014 12:48:51 PM
Old 11-27-2014
Ignore special characters in loop

Hi All,

Code:
select app from the menu:  ABC DEF GHI JKL ALL  # ALL will select all the apps in the menu  echo "Enter your option" read option;  if [ ${option} = "ALL" ] then      <execute the below command> elif [ ${option} = "option" ]     # option is the 1 selection from menu...not ALL     <execute the below command> else    echo wrong option."" fi

question:
* id user enters A* or AB?...... the scripts executes at
Code:
elif

i want to avoid special characters in if loop...below is the syntax.....but i want to know is there any other where i can eliminate all Special chars with out using below format.
Code:
if [ $option != "*" ] || [ $option != "?" ] || [ $option != "&" ]

Thank you in Advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to ignore characters and print only number using unix?

say D45H E67H G779K F8888U T66Y Y333U output shud be like 45 67 779 8888 66 333 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop: display special characters

Hi everybody; I have a code and this fetches data from first.txt,modify it and outputs it to second.txt file. l awk 'NR>1 {print "l ./gcsw "$1" lt all lset Data="$2" Value "$3}' /home/gcsw/first.txt > /home/gcsw/second.txt this outputs as: l ./gcsw 123 lt all lset Data=456 Value 789 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ignore blank lines in while loop

Hi, i am having one text file it contains some blank lines and i want to ignore that blank lines . #! /bin/bash clear rdCount=0; while read myline do echo $myline let rdCount=$rdCount+1 done < ps.txt echo "Total line=$rdCount" and ps .txt contains the data- (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore characters and print only numbers using awk?

Input: ak=70&cat15481=lot=6991901">Kaschau (1820-1840) ak=7078&cat15482=lot=70121">Principauté (1940-1993) ak=709&cat=lot15484=70183944">Arubas (4543-5043)Output: 70 15481 6991901 7078 15482 70121 709 15484 70183944 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed in a while loop with special characters

I have the foolowing data file: File1 <p name="A">5004</p> <p name="B">5004</p> <p name="C">5004</p> <p name="A">15004</p> <p name="B">15004</p> <p name="C">15004</p> In a while loop using sed (100 of line need to be replace), I need the output to File3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies
menu_opts(3X)															     menu_opts(3X)

NAME
menu_opts - set and get menu options SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_menu_opts(MENU *menu, Menu_Options opts); int menu_opts_on(MENU *menu, Menu_Options opts); int menu_opts_off(MENU *menu, Menu_Options opts); Menu_Options menu_opts(const MENU *menu); DESCRIPTION
The function set_menu_opts sets all the given menu's option bits (menu option bits may be logically-OR'ed together). The function menu_opts_on turns on the given option bits, and leaves others alone. The function menu_opts_off turns off the given option bits, and leaves others alone. The function menu_opts returns the menu's current option bits. The following options are defined (all are on by default): O_ONEVALUE Only one item can be selected for this menu. O_SHOWDESC Display the item descriptions when the menu is posted. O_ROWMAJOR Display the menu in row-major order. O_IGNORECASE Ignore the case when pattern-matching. O_SHOWMATCH Move the cursor to within the item name while pattern-matching. O_NONCYCLIC Don't wrap around next-item and previous-item, requests to the other end of the menu. RETURN VALUE
Except for menu_opts, each routine returns one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_POSTED The menu is already posted. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), menu(3X). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V menu library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. menu_opts(3X)