Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace multiple patterns in a particular column only - efficient script Post 302926751 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 26th of November 2014 04:19:23 PM
Old 11-26-2014
If you have sufficient memory to load the entire pattern file into an awk array I'd solve this problem like this:

Code:
awk -F, 'FNR==NR{p[$1]=$2; next}
$4 in p { $4=p[$4] }
1' OFS=, pattern_file data_file > output_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple input search and replace script

hi, i want to create a script that will search and replace the values inside a particular file. i have 5 files that i need to change some values inside and i don't want to use vi to edit these files. All the inputted values on the script below will be passed into the files. cho "" echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex Search/Replace Multiple Files Script Needed

I have a rather complicated search and replace I need to do among several dozen files and over a hundred occurrences. My site is written in PHP and throughout the old code, you will find things like die("Operation Aborted due to....."); For my new design skins for the site, I need to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace multiple patterns in a string/filename

This should be somewhat simple, but I need some help with this one. I have a bunch of files with tags on the end like so... Filename {tag1}.ext Filename2 {tag1} {tag2}.ext I want to hold in a variable just the filename with all the " {tag}" removed. The tag can be anything so I'm looking... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerppz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple patterns in multiple files

Hi, I have to write one script that has to search a list of numbers in certain zipped files. For eg. one file file1.txt contains the numbers. File1.txt contains 5,00,000 numbers and I have to search each number in zipped files(The number of zipped files are around 1000 each file is 5 MB) I have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search multiple patterns

I have two lists in a file that look like a b b a e f c d f e d c I would like a final list a b c d e f I've tried multiple grep and awk but can't get it to work (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzilla07
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search Multiple patterns in unix

Hi, I tried to search multiple pattern using awk trans=1234 reason=LN MISMATCH rec=`awk '/$trans/ && /'"$reason"'/' file` whenevr i tried to run on command promt it is executing but when i tried to implment same logic in shell script,it is failing i.e $rec is empty ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ns64110
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

a column containing multiple patterns perl

If U have a question if a file is 33 ABC 276 LRR pir UJU 45 BCD 777 HIGH pred IJJ 67 BGH 66 LRR_1 prcc KIK 77 GYH 88 LOW pol KKK perl -lne '$a++ if /LRR/,/LOW/, /HIGH/; END {print $a+0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search patterns in multiple logs parallelly.

Hi All, I am starting a service which will redirect its out put into 2 logs say A and B. Now for succesful startup of the service i need to search pattern1 in log A and pattern2 in log B which are writen continuosly. Now my requirement is to find the patterns in the increasing logs A and B... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple patterns together with retaining the text in between

Hi Team I have the following text in one of the file j1738-abc-system_id(in.value1)-2838 G566-deF-system_id(in.value2)-7489 I want to remove system_id(...) combination completely The output should look like this j1738-abc-in.value1-2838 G566-deF-in.value2-7489 Any help is appreciated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thierry Henry
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Multiple patterns and display

Hi, I have scenario like below and need to search for multiple patterns Eg: Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Output: I need to display the text starting with Test and starting with Time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)