Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Proxy Server iptables as "proxy" and a filter Post 302926601 by tschulian on Tuesday 25th of November 2014 12:07:03 PM
Old 11-25-2014
iptables as "proxy" and a filter

Dear community,
since I am a german guy, excuse gramatical mistakes.

I create a proxy to hide my application servers public IP from my customers.
I am actually using those 3 lines
(for testing reasons I am forwarding the traffic which connects to the ubuntu proxy to my apache webserver (5.196.130.245:80)

Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 5.196.130.245:80
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

I show this to a friend/competitor and he said, lol, with this code ur "hiding" the costumers IP in ur Database logs
(for example, they use the register formular on the website username, password registerIP - and with my 3 lines of code the register IP is the proxys IP in every single case but he told me he got a way to see even the real Users IP, even if they connecting through the proxy)

So he sent me the following Picture of his script

Any1 knows / is able to describe me what he has done better / other than me? I cannot see any routing cmds in his script.

I'm now almost searching 5 days for a solution and this is my last hope to find it.

EDIT: okay, I just found out that this Script for setting up the iptables is not for forwarding any traffic.
For the redirecting/forwarding part he is using HAPROXY.

regards,
Julian

Last edited by tschulian; 11-25-2014 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: code tags not icode ... thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter file by length, looking only at lines that don't begin with ">"

I have a file that stores data in pairs of lines, following this format: line 1: header (preceded by ">") line 2: sequence Example.txt: >seq1 name GATTGATGTTTGAGTTTTGGTTTTT >seq2 name TTTTCTTC I want to filter out the sequences and corresponding headers for all sequences that are less... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
PPTPD.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						     PPTPD.CONF(5)

NAME
pptpd.conf - PPTP VPN daemon configuration DESCRIPTION
pptpd(8) reads options from this file, usually /etc/pptpd.conf. Most options can be overridden by the command line. The local and remote IP addresses for clients must come from the configuration file or from pppd(8) configuration files. OPTIONS
option option-file the name of an option file to be passed to pppd(8) in place of the default /etc/ppp/options so that PPTP specific options can be given. Equivalent to the command line --option option. stimeout seconds number of seconds to wait for a PPTP packet before forking the pptpctrl(8) program to handle the client. The default is 10 seconds. This is a denial of service protection feature. Equivalent to the command line --stimeout option. debug turns on debugging mode, sending debugging information to syslog(3). Has no effect on pppd(8) debugging. Equivalent to the command line --debug option. bcrelay internal-interface turns on broadcast relay mode, sending all broadcasts received on the server's internal interface to the clients. Equivalent to the command line --bcrelay option. connections n limits the number of client connections that may be accepted. If pptpd is allocating IP addresses (e.g. delegate is not used) then the number of connections is also limited by the remoteip option. The default is 100. delegate delegates the allocation of client IP addresses to pppd(8). Without this option, which is the default, pptpd manages the list of IP addresses for clients and passes the next free address to pppd. With this option, pptpd does not pass an address, and so pppd may use radius or chap-secrets to allocate an address. localip ip-specification one or many IP addresses to be used at the local end of the tunnelled PPP links between the server and the client. If one address only is given, this address is used for all clients. Otherwise, one address per client must be given, and if there are no free addresses then any new clients will be refused. localip will be ignored if the delegate option is used. remoteip ip-specification a list of IP addresses to assign to remote PPTP clients. Each connected client must have a different address, so there must be at least as many addresses as you have simultaneous clients, and preferably some spare, since you cannot change this list without restarting pptpd. A warning will be sent to syslog(3) when the IP address pool is exhausted. remoteip will be ignored if the dele- gate option is used. noipparam by default, the original client IP address is given to ip-up scripts using the pppd(8) option ipparam. The noipparam option pre- vents this. Equivalent to the command line --noipparam option. listen ip-address the local interface IP address to listen on for incoming PPTP connections (TCP port 1723). Equivalent to the command line --listen option. pidfile pid-file specifies an alternate location to store the process ID file (default /var/run/pptpd.pid). Equivalent to the command line --pidfile option. speed speed specifies a speed (in bits per second) to pass to the PPP daemon as the interface speed for the tty/pty pair. This is ignored by some PPP daemons, such as Linux's pppd(8). The default is 115200 bytes per second, which some implementations interpret as meaning "no limit". Equivalent to the command line --speed option. NOTES
An ip-specification above (for the localip and remoteip tags) may be a list of IP addresses (for example 192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3), a range (for example 192.168.0.1-254 or 192.168.0-255.2) or some combination (for example 192.168.0.2,192.168.0.5-8). For some valid pairs might be (depending on use of the VPN): localip 192.168.0.1 remoteip 192.168.0.2-254 or localip 192.168.1.2-254 remoteip 192.168.0.2-254 ROUTING CHECKLIST - PROXYARP Allocate a section of your LAN addresses for use by clients. In /etc/ppp/options.pptpd. set the proxyarp option. In pptpd.conf do not set localip option, but set remoteip to the allocated address range. Enable kernel forwarding of packets, (e.g. using /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ). The server will advertise the clients to the LAN using ARP, providing it's own ethernet address. bcrelay(8) should not be required. ROUTING CHECKLIST - FORWARDING Allocate a subnet for the clients that is routable from your LAN, but is not part of your LAN. In pptpd.conf set localip to a single address or range in the allocated subnet, set remoteip to a range in the allocated subnet. Enable kernel forwarding of packets, (e.g. using /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ). The LAN must have a route to the clients using the server as gateway. The server will forward the packets unchanged between the clients and the LAN. bcrelay(8) will be required to support broadcast protocols such as NETBIOS. ROUTING CHECKLIST - MASQUERADE Allocate a subnet for the clients that is not routable from your LAN, and not otherwise routable from the server (e.g. 10.0.0.0/24). Set localip to a single address in the subnet (e.g. 10.0.0.1), set remoteip to a range for the rest of the subnet, (e.g. 10.0.0.2-200). Enable kernel forwarding of packets, (e.g. using /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ). Enable masquerading on eth0 (e.g. iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE ). The server will translate the packets between the clients and the LAN. The clients will appear to the LAN as having the address corre- sponding to the server. The LAN need not have an explicit route to the clients. bcrelay(8) will be required to support broadcast proto- cols such as NETBIOS. FIREWALL RULES
pptpd(8) accepts control connections on TCP port 1723, and then uses GRE (protocol 47) to exchange data packets. Add these rules to your iptables(8) configuration, or use them as the basis for your own rules: iptables --append INPUT --protocol 47 --jump ACCEPT iptables --append INPUT --protocol tcp --match tcp --destination-port 1723 --jump ACCEPT SEE ALSO
pppd(8), pptpd(8), pptpd.conf(5). 29 December 2005 PPTPD.CONF(5)