Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace special characters with backslash and character Post 302926516 by temp_user on Monday 24th of November 2014 11:33:27 PM
Old 11-25-2014
By special i mean all characters except 0-9, A-Z and a-z.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: Replace backslash characters

Hi All, I have a requirement to read a line from a file with some search string, replace any backslash characters in that line and store in a variable. Shell script: replace.ksh #!/bin/bash file2=input.rtf line=`grep "Invoice Number" ${file2} | head -1 | sed 's/\\//g'` echo "start... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashas_d
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED script to backslash special characters

I have a shell script that I have written to be a kind of to-do/notepad that's quickly executable from the command line. However, special characters tend to break it pretty well. Ie: "notes -a This is an entry." works fine. "notes -a This is (my) entry." will toss back a bash syntax error on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylersee
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace special characters

Hi everyone I have file1 contains: '7832' ' 8765 6543 I want a sed command that will format as: '7832' , '8765' , '6543' I tried sed -e s/\'//g -e 's/^*//;s/*$//' file1 > file2 sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta' file2 which gives: 7832 8765 6543 I need some help to continue with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
5 Replies

5. Solaris

How to replace special characters in vi?

Hi , I want to replace the special characters in the file. For eg: cat abc 1234/4455/acb 234/k/lll/ 234`fs`fd I want to replace / and ` with the letter a and the output should like below. How to achieve this. 1234a4455aacb 234akallla 234afsafd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters

I have a line ending with special character and 0 The special character is the field separator for this line in VI mode the file will look like below, but while cat the special character wont display i know the hexa code for the special character ^_ is \x1f and ascii code is \0037, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace /n with special character

I would like to replace /n with ',' and after replace remove last semicolon then put a open brace in starting and closing brace in end of line. See below example: input: 1234 3455 24334 234 output: ('1234,'3455',24334','234') Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace special characters?

Hi Unix Guru, I have an requirement for replace some specail characters in a file, my file came from mainframe. please see below example: when open it with vi 17896660|89059215|04/24/1998 00:00:00.000000| abc 123-453-1312^M<85>^M<85>|124557 if I run cat -v I got following:... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
25 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to replace special characters?

Hi Team, I have data like this. |*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| Would like to add zero (0) before the decimal point where there is no zero as |*|0.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| How to replace |*|. with |*|0. I tried below command which didn't work echo '|*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*' | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
4 Replies
fnmatch(3C)															       fnmatch(3C)

NAME
fnmatch() - match filename patterns SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
performs pattern matching as described in regexp(5) under By default, the rule qualifications for filename expansion do not apply; i.e., periods (dots) and slashes are matched as ordinary characters. This default behavior can be modified by using the flags described below. The flag argument modifies the interpretation of pattern and string. If which is defined in is set in flag, a slash character in string must be explicitly matched by a slash in pattern; it cannot be matched by either the asterisk or question mark special characters or by a bracket expression. If is set in flag, a leading period must be explicitly matched. It will not be matched by a bracket expression, question mark or asterisk. By default, a period is leading if it is the first character in string. If is set in flag, a period is leading if it is the first charac- ter in string or immediately follows a slash. If is not set in flag, a backslash character in pattern followed by any other character matches that second character in string. In par- ticular, matches a backslash in string. If is set, a backslash character is treated as an ordinary character. If flag is zero, the slash character and the period are treated as regular characters. If flag has any other value, the result is unde- fined. RETURN VALUE
If string matches the pattern specified by pattern, returns zero. Otherwise, returns non-zero. EXAMPLE
The following excerpt uses to check each file in a directory against the pattern pattern = "*.c"; while(dp = readdir(dirp)){ if((fnmatch(pattern, dp->d_name,0)) == 0){ /* do processing for match */ ... } } AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fnmatch(3C)