Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sed/replace using variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed/replace using variable Post 302926489 by ongoto on Monday 24th of November 2014 05:28:10 PM
Old 11-24-2014
Don't see LINUX or LVM in the output of fdisk -l. Maybe you are using other than GNU Linux?

What I see here...
Code:
NewDisk=`fdisk -l | grep Linux | egrep -v '\*|LVM' |awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/\/dev\///'`
echo $NewDisk
# -- produces --
# sda5 sda6 sda7 sda10 sda11 sda12 sdf2 sdf5 sdf6 sdf7 sdf8 sdf9 sdf10 sdf11

# (using sed -e to debug)
sed -e "s/^cdrom/harddrive --partition=$NewDisk --dir=\//"
# -- produces --
# error

In my case, $NewDisk appears to sed as a space separated list of commands, which are bogus...
The fix for me would be to make $NewDisk an array and access by [index]
Code:
NewDisk=(`fdisk -l | grep Linux | egrep -v '\*|LVM' |awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/\/dev\///'`)
sed -e "s/^cdrom/harddrive --partition=${NewDisk[0]} --dir=\//"

In your case, making $NewDisk=csicc/c0d0p5 like you reported, still throws an error because sed sees the /slash in csicc/c0d0p5 as a delimiter...
So change the delimiter in sed from / to |...(ala Scrutinizer post #2)

Code:
NewDisk=csicc/c0d0p5
sed -e "s|^cdrom|harddrive --partition=$NewDisk --dir=\/|"
-- produces --
harddrive --partition=csicc/c0d0p5 --dir=/

Give it a go and lemme know if I need to make any edits here.

Thx

Last edited by ongoto; 11-24-2014 at 06:44 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to ongoto For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace with value of variable using SED

Hello everyone, I need to replace a pattern with "value of a variable" using sed but no luck. i tried the below ABC=STR2 sed 's/STR1/$ABC/g' <file> (also tried \ , $ and " in combination but failed) Appreciate any help. Thanks Prvn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to replace text with a variable

I'm trying to replace text in a file with text from a variable I have the following in my script, but its not working: #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter the path to load scripts" read x echo "updating the templates" sed "s/CHANGE_ME_TO_LOAD_PATH/"$x"/g" LoadFiles.sh > LoadFiles2.sh I thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orahi001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace spaces between quotes with a variable

I have lines with: elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?edificationtube.com$|www.edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.net edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.com edificationtube.net") { elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?collegecontender.com$|www.collegecontender.com collegecontenders.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using file-and-replace sed command with the use of a variable?

Ok, so, let's say I have the variable $GMAILID....How can I use it with sed command so to replace a string in a file? e.g.: sed -i 's/$GMAILID/test@gmail.com/' /home/$USER/Desktop/sendmail (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with a variable in sed command

Hello, I have this command and it works fine. My question is that how can we replace the N by a variable, to print for instance a big number of lines. It means if I want 100 lines after an expression, to not put "N" 100 times in the sed. Code: $ sed -n '/aaa/{n;N;N;s///g;s/;/; /g;p;}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED with variable to replace strings in while loop

Hi guys, Hi have this input (Menu.xml)<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <breakfast_menu> <food> <name>Berry-Berry Belgian Waffles</name> <price>$8.95</price> <calories>900</calories> </food> <food> <name>French Toast</name> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace value of a variable in a file through script using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace the value of a variable in a file through another script. Example: Filename : abc.txt contents: a=10 b=20 c=30 Need to change the value of, say, b - Tried using the following: sed "s/${b}/15/g" abc.txt Have tried various forms of sed (with single quotes,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with variable -sed

Hi, I have a ksh script where I am trying to mask the password in the log files. $loc - is my directory $PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW - is a variable that holds the password I am looking for find $loc/logs -type f -exec sed -i "s/$PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW/*****/"g {} \; I get an error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed to replace variable in file

Hi All I have one file with multiple lines in it, each line has static text and some variable enclosed in <<filename>> as well. e.g. as below 123, <<file1.txt>> this is my name, I stay at <<city.txt>> Thanks for visiting 348384y, this is my name <<fileabc.txt>>, I stay at near the mall of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
8 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)