Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How Much Space Before 1st Partition? Post 302926441 by mrm5102 on Monday 24th of November 2014 12:34:51 PM
Old 11-24-2014
How Much Space Before 1st Partition?

Hello All,

I'm having trouble finding info on how to convert sector size (*if that's really what i want to do?) to something easier to understand.

I'm trying to copy the MBR from a bootable SD Card to another SD Card or image file, but I'm not sure what I should use in my dd command since I'm not positive about how much space is exactly before the 1st partition...

fdisk Output:
Code:
Disk /dev/sdc: 7969 MB, 7969177600 bytes
246 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1020 cylinders, total 15564800 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x5503c906

Device   Boot    Start        End           Blocks      Id    System
/dev/sdc1   *        2048      516099      257026     83   Linux
/dev/sdc2          518144     5918719    2700288   83   Linux

I read on a site that you can just divide the "Start" number in half to get Kilobytes (*which means there is 1MB before the 1st partition), but I'm not positive if that is accurate or not..?

What should I use as my dd command if I want everything BEFORE the first start'ing sector at 2048 (*i.e. before the 1st partition)?

Something like this?
Code:
# dd  if=/dev/sdc  of=MBR.img  bs=512  count=???

If any has any thoughts or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

moving space from one partition to another

How can I move some space allocated to one partition to another, i.e. from "/var" to "/" . Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason6792
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space for root partition

Hello, I am trying to monitor disk space for each node on the machine. I am able to get all individual nodes but for the '/' node. For example: df -k: bash-2.05b# df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/xxx 4127108 2415340 1502120 62% / /dev/yyy ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best ways of increasing space on a partition

Hi, On one of our solaris servers, the root partition has filled up,(it was poorly sized in the first place), Does anyone have any advice about the best way to add space to a partition. I'm sure I've read how to do this somewhere before but just can't remember...:( A colleague has suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kenny123m
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

RHEL 5 supports only 2 TB space for a partition !

Dear Friends , I am using Redhat Ent Linux 5.0 with a EMC storage which HDD space is 4 TB. After Installing RHEL 5 , I get 4 TB space available but when I am going to create a partition then the OS show 2TB available space . I cannot create a partition above 2TB space . Is there any limitation... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shifting space from one partition to other

hi My System is Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Solaris Partition Info is /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/var 27G 25G 1.2G 96% /var /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/oravol 110G 54G 56G 49% /export/home I want to shift space 20G from /export/home to /var What should be the command ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

7. Slackware

Ideal partition sizes of 17 gb space.

I am planning to install slack 13.37 on an old stand-alone PIII (512 mb ram) with 17 gb disk space. I need to keep lotsa pdf, chm type e-books for programming with few other misc. documents. I'm going to use this system for my personal use. It has no network but I browse internet with cable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

8. Linux

How to increase root space from another partition?

Hi OS Experts I would like to increase root partition from another partition so that I can save more documents in Home and Desktop. whether it is possible without formating root partition if so please explain here is o/p of df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to consume all available space on partition?

Hi I'm doing some resilience testing and need to write a script to consume all of the available disk space on a partition and then to free it up again. This would need to be - Safe Dynamic, in that it calculates the free space prior to consuming it. I might want to go on to consume a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Allot free space from one partition to other

I have a RHEL 5.3 machine with the following partitions and free space: Free space on the partitions / : 74GB /boot : 81MB /var : 73GB /home : 37GB /icat : 758MB /opt : 1.5GB Now is it possible to allot a free space of some other partitions to /opt? I want around 100 GB more space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omniok
4 Replies
efi(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    efi(4)

NAME
efi - Extensible Firmware Interface description DESCRIPTION
The EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) is an interface between HP-UX and the Itanium-based platform firmware. The file system supported by the Extensible Firmware Interface is based on the FAT file system. EFI encompasses the use of FAT-32 for a system partition, and FAT-12 or FAT-16 for removable media. The system partition is required on a bootable disk for the Itanium-based platform. For a hard disk, the system partition is a contiguous grouping of sectors on the disk, where the starting sector and size are defined by the EFI partition table, which resides on the second logical block of the hard disk, and/or by the Master Boot Record (MBR), which resides on the first sector of the hard disk. For a floppy disk, a partition is defined to be the entire disk. The System Partition can contain directories, data files, and EFI Images. The EFI system firmware may search the directory of the EFI sys- tem partition, EFI volume, to find possible EFI Images that can be loaded. The HP-UX bootloader is one example of an EFI Image. HP-UX contains a set of EFI utilities: efi_fsinit(1M) Initialize an EFI volume; that is, create a header and an empty directory. efi_cp(1M) Copy files to and from an EFI volume. efi_mkdir(1M) Create directories in an EFI volume. efi_ls(1M) List the contents of an EFI volume. efi_rm(1M) Remove files from an EFI volume. efi_rmdir(1M) Remove directories from an EFI volume. The EFI utilities are the only utilities in HP-UX where the internal structure of an EFI volume is known. To the rest of HP-UX, an EFI system partition is simply a partition containing unspecified data. The EFI volume cannot be mounted to HP-UX currently. An EFI volume can be created on any HP-UX file (either regular disk file or device special file) that supports random access via lseek(2). Within an EFI volume, individual files and directories are identified by 1- to 255-character file names. File names can consist of any alphanumeric characters (A through Z, a through z, and 0 through 9) and the certain set of special characters (. $ % ' - _ @ ~ ` ! ( ) + , : ; = # & ? ^ [ ] { } space). The first character of an EFI file name can be any valid EFI characters, except the space. When comparing two EFI names, differences in the case of alphabetic characters are not significant. For example, the following file names are considered the same: If one exists, the user will not be able to create the other. The directory may be made up of multiple components, separated by slashes(/). The last directory component must be followed by a slash to separate it from the file name. There are two special directory components, (.) and (..). They represent the current directory and the parent directory as in other file systems. SEE ALSO
efi_cp(1M), efi_fsinit(1M), efi_ls(1M), efi_mkdir(1M), efi_rm(1M), efi_rmdir(1M). Itanium(R)-Based Processor Family Only efi(4)