Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find a string across line break (because of "segmentation fault core dumped") Post 302926332 by thewizarde6 on Sunday 23rd of November 2014 12:29:33 PM
Old 11-23-2014
Hammer & Screwdriver Find a string across line break (because of "segmentation fault core dumped")

Hi,
thanks to a precedent post, and thanks to the reply of derekludwig of the forum, I have convert my first awk command as :

test.txt is : AAAAAGHIJKLAjKMEFJKLjklABCDJkLEFGHIJKL

Code:
awk -f findstring.awk test.txt > textreturn.txt

findstring.awk is :

Code:
BEGIN{ SLENGTH = 3 }
{

skipped = 0
    starts = ""
 line   = tolower($0)
    while ( SSTART = index(line,string )) {
        starts = starts (starts?" ":"") (skipped + SSTART)
        line = substr(line,SSTART + SLENGTH)
        skipped += (SSTART + SLENGTH - 1)
    }
}
starts { print starts }

to find all "JKL" regular expression anyway the type of case. It returns 9 18 21 28 36.

Now, I would like to know if it is possible to find this string across different lines and obtain the first result, for example with test.txt like this :

AAAAAGHI
JKLAjKMEFJK
LjklABCDJkLEFGHIJKL

I have tried to transform input file as a unique line with this command :

Code:
awk -vRS="" ' {gsub("\n","",$0) ; print ""$0""} test.txt > test2.txt

But my file is so heavy that I receive this error :
Code:
segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have also tried this one :
Code:
cat test.txt | xargs |sed -e 's/ //g' > test2.txt

and it seems to be works (no messages).

But, by exploring the result file for one heavy file, not all lines are in one line; there is just less number of lines.

Thanks for your help,
Bye.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Hello To All! Now anfd then I receive a message on my console: Segmentation fault (core dumped) What does it mean? Or more precisely what are the implications? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

2. Programming

What is an "Illegal Instruction -Core Dumped"

Hai! i am working on Digital UNIX V3.2c Work station, my program uses Pro*C, C and X-Motif calls. i am facing problem while running application saying "Illegal Instruction Core Dumped". debugger dbx shows error at a line which shows "noname". when commenting large portion of the code it runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samn
1 Replies

3. Programming

why tell "core dumped"?

why tell core dumped? I am a new .I write a program.I use cc to complier it. when i run it,it tell me "core dumped"? who can tell me the reason? the program as follow: main() { char *a; printf("please input your name:"); scanf("%s",a); printf("\n"); printf("%s",a); } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fresh
3 Replies

4. Programming

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

what r the situations to receive an error msg like the one below Segmentation Fault (core dumped) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

i am getting Segmentation Fault (core dumped) on solaris, but when i run the same program with same input on linux it runs successfully. How can i trace the fault in program on solaris. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
6 Replies

6. Solaris

segmentation fault core dumped

i am getting segmentation fault (core dumped) i tried following things but couldn't understand what is wrong with my prog and where the problem is.... i have only adb debugger available on solaris.... so plz help bash-3.00$ pstack core core 'core' of 765: ./mod_generalised_tapinread... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Hi All, I am getting "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" error in the runtime. I am new this please can you tell me why is that i am getting this error and I am not sure of my compilation : gcc -c avc_test.c gcc -c md5.c gcc avc_test.o md5.o -shared -Llibcoreavc_sdk.so -o proj ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fido.genial
1 Replies

8. Programming

getting Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error but Program runs fine.

i am executing following program int main() { char str; FILE * fp; int i=0; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavesh.sapra
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Segmentation Fault/ core dumped in metadb

When I was trying to mirror in my v880 server after OS up gradation from 8 to 10 metadb -afc 3 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s7 I got an error metadb: Segmentation Fault Segmentation Fault (core dumped) Then I logged a case to Oracle/sun team they suggest "Please could you try metadb -ac 3... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: taherahmed
0 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Tilda Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting a Segmentation fault when I try to run tilda? $ tilda Segmentation fault (core dumped) It seemed to run after I deleted my tilda directory like this thread said to do. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me set my keybinding with anything I tried. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies
GAPPLETVIEWER(1)                                                        GNU                                                       GAPPLETVIEWER(1)

NAME
gappletviewer - Load and runs an applet SYNOPSIS
appletviewer [OPTION]... URL... appletviewer [OPTION]... -code CODE appletviewer [OPTION]... -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT DESCRIPTION
The appletviewer tool loads and runs an applet. Use the first form to test applets specified by tag. The URL should resolve to an HTML document from which the appletviewer will extract applet tags. The APPLET, EMBED and OBJECT tags are supported. If a given document contains multiple applet tags, all the applets will be loaded, with each applet appearing in its own window. Likewise, when multiple URLs are specified, each applet tag instance is given its own window. If a given document contains no recognized tags the appletviewer does nothing. appletviewer http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ Use the second form to test an applet in development. This form allows applet tag attributes to be supplied on the command line. Only one applet may be specified using the -code option. The -code option overrides the URL form -- any URLs specified will be ignored. appletviewer -code Test.class -param datafile,data.txt gcjwebplugin uses the third form to communicate with the appletviewer through named pipes. OPTIONS
URL OPTIONS -debug This option is not yet implemented but is provided for compatibility. -encoding CHARSET Use this option to specify an alternate character encoding for the specified HTML page. APPLET TAG OPTIONS -code CODE Use the -code option to specify the value of the applet tag CODE attribute. -codebase CODEBASE Use the -codebase option to specify the value of the applet tag CODEBASE attribute. -archive ARCHIVE Use the -archive option to specify the value of the applet tag ARCHIVE attribute. -width WIDTH Use the -width option to specify the value of the applet tag WIDTH attribute. -height HEIGHT Use the -height option to specify the value of the applet tag HEIGHT attribute. -param NAME,VALUE Use the -param option to specify values for the NAME and VALUE attributes of an applet PARAM tag. PLUGIN OPTION -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT gcjwebplugin uses the -plugin option to specify the named pipe the appletviewer should use for receiving commands (INPUT) and the one it should use for sending commands to gcjwebplugin (OUTPUT). DEBUGGING OPTION -verbose Use the -verbose option to have the appletviewer print debugging messages. STANDARD OPTIONS -help Use the -help option to have the appletviewer print a usage message, then exit. -version Use the -version option to have the appletviewer print its version, then exit. -JOPTION Use the -J option to pass OPTION to the virtual machine that will run the appletviewer. Unlike other options, there must not be a space between the -J and OPTION. BUGS
SEE ALSO
AUTHOR
0.98 2010-07-05 GAPPLETVIEWER(1)