Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - Why can't value of awk variables be passed to external functions ? Post 302926276 by RudiC on Saturday 22nd of November 2014 02:27:44 PM
Old 11-22-2014
As requested:
Code:
sudo ln -sf /bin/bash /bin/sh
echo "a/b/c/d/e" |
awk -F"/"       '{for (k=1;k<=NF;k++)   {if ($k == "a" )        {system("my_func_local " $k)}
                                         else                   {print $k}
                                        }
                 }
                '
In func a
b
c
d
e

Don't forget to recreate the original sh symlink.

Last edited by RudiC; 11-23-2014 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: typo
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Anybody know what's wrong with this syntax? awk -v job="$job" 'BEGIN { FS="|"} {print $1,$2," ",$4," ",$3\n,$5,"\n"}' list It's keeping give me this message: awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 It seems awk has problem with my BEGIN command. Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Does anybody know how to print a variable passed to awk command? awk -F"|" 'BEGIN {print $job,"\n","Question \n"} {print $1,$2$4," ",$3}' "job=$job1" file1 I am trying to pass job the variable job1. the output is blank. ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - arithemetic functions with external variables

I'm trying to get awk to do arithmetic functions with external variables and I'm getting an error that I cannot figure out how to fix. Insight would be appreciated money=$1 rate1=$(awk -F"\t " '/'$converting'/{print $3}' convert.table) rate2=$(awk -F"\t"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Retrieving names of variables passed with -v

I'm an experienced awk user, but this one has me stumped. I have an awk script which is called from a UNIX command line as you'd expect: myscript.awk -v foo=$1 -v bar=$2 filename My question is this: is there a mechanism for determining the names of the -v variables within a script? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Mac
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

flags passed to an awk script

I have an awk script script.awk for example and want to pass a flag (let's call it "neat") so that the data is put into nice columns. For example like this awk -v neat -f script.awk fin > fout Then check inside the program if the use has put neat, if yes I output the lines in nice columns,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic from csh variable passed to awk

I have the following code in a csh script I want to pass the value of the variable sigmasq to the awk script so that I can divide $0 by the value of sigmasq grep "Rms Value" $f.log \ | awk '{ sub(/*:*\.*/,x); \ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to external variables from awk

Hello I have a text file with the next pattern Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 I want to assign to external variables the grades using the awk method. After i read the file line by line in order to get the grades i use this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spleshmen
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of passed variables

Currently have this: set current=192.168.0.5 set servicehost = `echo $current | awk -F. '{print $4}'` echo $numberoffields 5 ..but would like to reduce # of variables and eliminate echo to have something like this: set servicehost = `awk -v s="$current" -F. 'BEGIN{print $2}'`But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Variables passed to awk to return certain rows

Hi Forum. I have the following test.txt file and need to extract certain rows based on "starting position", "length of string" and "string to search for": 1a2b3d 2a3c4d ..... My script accepts 3 parameters: (starting col pos, length to search for, string to search for) and would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
4 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)