Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multiple string input in a awk Post 302926266 by derekludwig on Saturday 22nd of November 2014 12:44:44 PM
Old 11-22-2014
You will have to convert both the search string and the input line to either upper or lower case. For example:
Code:
BEGIN{ SLENGTH = 3 }
{
    string = "jkl"
    skipped = 0
    starts = ""
    line   = tolower($0);
    while ( SSTART = index(line,string )) {
        starts = starts (starts?" ":"") (skipped + SSTART)
        line = substr(line,SSTART + SLENGTH)
        skipped += (SSTART + SLENGTH - 1)
    }
}
starts { print starts }

which returns:
Code:
9 18 21 28 36

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple input field Separators in awk.

I saw a couple of posts here referencing how to handle more than one input field separator in awk. I figured I would share how I (just!) figured out how to turn this line in a logfile: 90000000000000000000010001 name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinksville
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect an awk string output to a script input with pipes

Hi, I have a function in a bash script that returns a string after some operations using awk. The following code returns 555 $VARIABLE="EXAMPLE" get_number $VARIABLE this value I'd like to pass it as a second argument of another script with the following usage myscript.sh <param1>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rid
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to give multiple csv files as input in awk

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting..My problem is i want to give multiple csv files as input to awk script and process the data into one file.. My input file is File1 File2 File3 Product Location Period SalesPrice A x 8/11/2010 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvth
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + gsub to search multiple input values & replace with located string + extra text

Hi all. I have the following command that is successfully searching for any one of the strings on all lines of a file and replacing it with the instructed value. cat inputFile | awk '{gsub(/aaa|bbb|ccc|ddd/,"1234")}1' > outputFile This does in fact replace any occurrence of aaa, bbb,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazhoop
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FOR loop with multiple files as input and awk

Hi all , i want to pass multiple files as input to a for loop for i in file1 file2 file3 do some awk action < $i >> $i.out done but im getting error in that for loop is the way i use to pass files to awk using for correct and 2.we can directly pass multiple files to awk as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zozoo
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple results as input to grep or awk

Hi: This is my first post in this forum. apologies if I am asking question that has been asked here multiple times. I wrote a python script that prints list of identifiers. I have another file notoriously big and with no particular format. I plan to search the identifiers in this file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriolebaltimore
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple string from input

How can I grep multiple strings from an input, strings are separated by space. Strings to grep: 7680FR 6791HH 1234AA Input: AA 7680FR AA 6891HH AA 6791UA BB 9834HA BB 1434AB DD 1234AA DD 6991HH DD 6791HH Required output: AA 7680FR (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enhance existing script: Extract Multiple variables & Input in an echo string

Hi Experts I need your help to optimize my script to execute better as I have nearly 1M records & the script is taking close to 40 minutes to execute, so would need support on a faster alternative. Input: file {"house":"1024","zip":"2345","city":"asd","country":"zzv"}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nk1984
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command input string too long, limit

cat filename| awk '{ $1=""; print $0}' in my file there are few lines that has more than 3000 characters per line and as soon as I run the above command it cores, strings core reveals that the awk is failing because input string too long, limit. can i get some help from the experts to find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
8 Replies
GCHEM3D(1)						       gnome-chemistry-utils							GCHEM3D(1)

NAME
gchem3d - a small chemical viewer application SYNOPSIS
gchem3d [OPTION(S)...] [FILE...] DESCRIPTION
gchem3d is a small chemical viewer application, which can show several chemical file formats. OPTIONS
The following options are accepted: -b COLOR, --bgcolor=COLOR Use the given color as background color. COLOR can be one of "black" (default), "white", "#rrggbb" (don't forget to escape the "#" character in the shell). -d MODEL, --display3d=MODEL Choose how molecules are displayed. MODEL can be one of "BallnStick" (default), "SpaceFill". -?, --help Show application help options. --help-all, --help-* Print all or just a group of help options. These options are not documented here. Instead see gtk-options(7) and gnome-options(7). -v, --version Print gchem3d version information. SEE ALSO
gnome-options(7), gtk-options(7) AUTHORS
Jean Brefort <jean.brefort@normalesup.org> Program author. Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert@wgdd.de> Manpage author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2007 Jean Brefort Copyright (C) 2004-2007 Daniel Leidert Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. gcu 0.12 $Date: 2009-03-19 10:53:47 +0100 (jeu. 19 mars 2009) $ GCHEM3D(1)