Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - Why can't value of awk variables be passed to external functions ? Post 302926246 by sea on Saturday 22nd of November 2014 08:05:40 AM
Old 11-22-2014
As i see it, not really understanding awk yet, but you're comparing a STRING (a) with an INTEGER (k).
Anyhow, so you pass a list of variables, and when it matches a certain string, you want to call that function?

Must it be awk, because bash works just fine Smilie
Code:
#!/bin/bash
my_func_local() {
    echo "In func: my_func_local $1"
}

for ARG in "${@}";do
    [[ $ARG = a ]] && \
        my_func_local $ARG || \
        echo $ARG
done

Code:
sh script.sh a b c d
In func: my_func_local a
b
c
d

Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Anybody know what's wrong with this syntax? awk -v job="$job" 'BEGIN { FS="|"} {print $1,$2," ",$4," ",$3\n,$5,"\n"}' list It's keeping give me this message: awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 It seems awk has problem with my BEGIN command. Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Does anybody know how to print a variable passed to awk command? awk -F"|" 'BEGIN {print $job,"\n","Question \n"} {print $1,$2$4," ",$3}' "job=$job1" file1 I am trying to pass job the variable job1. the output is blank. ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - arithemetic functions with external variables

I'm trying to get awk to do arithmetic functions with external variables and I'm getting an error that I cannot figure out how to fix. Insight would be appreciated money=$1 rate1=$(awk -F"\t " '/'$converting'/{print $3}' convert.table) rate2=$(awk -F"\t"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Retrieving names of variables passed with -v

I'm an experienced awk user, but this one has me stumped. I have an awk script which is called from a UNIX command line as you'd expect: myscript.awk -v foo=$1 -v bar=$2 filename My question is this: is there a mechanism for determining the names of the -v variables within a script? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Mac
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

flags passed to an awk script

I have an awk script script.awk for example and want to pass a flag (let's call it "neat") so that the data is put into nice columns. For example like this awk -v neat -f script.awk fin > fout Then check inside the program if the use has put neat, if yes I output the lines in nice columns,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic from csh variable passed to awk

I have the following code in a csh script I want to pass the value of the variable sigmasq to the awk script so that I can divide $0 by the value of sigmasq grep "Rms Value" $f.log \ | awk '{ sub(/*:*\.*/,x); \ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to external variables from awk

Hello I have a text file with the next pattern Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 I want to assign to external variables the grades using the awk method. After i read the file line by line in order to get the grades i use this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spleshmen
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of passed variables

Currently have this: set current=192.168.0.5 set servicehost = `echo $current | awk -F. '{print $4}'` echo $numberoffields 5 ..but would like to reduce # of variables and eliminate echo to have something like this: set servicehost = `awk -v s="$current" -F. 'BEGIN{print $2}'`But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Variables passed to awk to return certain rows

Hi Forum. I have the following test.txt file and need to extract certain rows based on "starting position", "length of string" and "string to search for": 1a2b3d 2a3c4d ..... My script accepts 3 parameters: (starting col pos, length to search for, string to search for) and would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
4 Replies
Locale::Script(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Locale::Script(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. The ones currently supported are: alpha This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA". The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. numeric This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC". ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Script(3perl)