Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Distinct filenames pattern
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Distinct filenames pattern Post 302926239 by RudiC on Saturday 22nd of November 2014 06:20:00 AM
Old 11-22-2014
Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

Why don't you adapt / extend the solution to your former problem? That'd be an easy implementation!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep distinct values

this is a little more complex than that. I have a text file and I need to find all the distinct words that appear in a line after the word TABLESPACE when I grep for just the word tablespace, I get: how do i parse this a little better so i have a smaller file to read? This is just an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH find filenames in list that match certain "pattern."

I guess by "pattern," I mean something different from how that word is defined in the Linux world. If you take $ to mean a letter (a-z) and # to mean a number (0-9), then the pattern I'm trying to match is as follows: $$$##-####-###-###.jpg I'd like to write a script that reads in a list of files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Look for distinct files under a directory matching a pattern

Hi, I'm searching for a pattern 'java' under a directory but it is returning all the files containing 'java', but I want to have only distinct files not all. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.paramanatti
2 Replies

4. Web Development

SQL - Distinct plus more

Hi all, I have an interesting and I am sure simple question for yau'll. Basically this is what I am after: The table: CREATE TABLE places (id INT, city VARCHAR(24), name VARCHAR(24)); The data: id = 1, city = canberra, name = aaron id = 2, city = canberra, name = andrew id = 3, city... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: STOIE
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture filenames with a Pattern into another file

Hi i have a command in windows which captures the filenames with the same pattern and route it to another file. for example filetest_20110921, filetest_20110922,filetest_20110923 etc I would like to know the command in UNIX/LINUX for the same. The command which i am using in Windows is ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansurkhalil
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep distinct

Hello, I have a file which looks like: %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(7)*************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(70)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(71)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(72)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(8)*************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(9)*************% %_SPE_FLUXPREV_PRES1_MT_HT(2)****%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file

Hi, I have got some 10 filenames stored in a file or displayed in the console as a result of some query i made.. Now I need to open each of these files and search for a pattern in these 10 files.. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, Jean (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanjkj
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the distinct of a particular field

From the below ps output , I want the distinct values of the third field (ie. I need the distinct PPIDs) $ ps -ef UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 1 0 0 Nov 10 - 48:49 /etc/init root 1769576 1 0 Nov 10 - 0:07... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polavan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the distinct of these lines

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 I have a text file (error log file) , which has occurences of an error message like ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 8 in tablespace xxxxxThere are around 3000 error messages like this in the error log file. But there are only 7 or 8 distinct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pattern Match FileNames

I am on AIX. I need to list the contents of the directory based on a pattern and write an XML output file with file names. If a filename does NOT match the below pattern then write an OUTPUT xml file in the below xml format Pattern Starts with (.abc) and contains (def) Starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
4 Replies
chdir(2)							System Calls Manual							  chdir(2)

NAME
chdir, fchdir - change working directory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
and cause a directory pointed to by path or fildes to become the current working directory, the starting point for path searches of path names not beginning with path points to the path name of a directory. fildes is an open file descriptor of a directory. For a directory to become the current working directory, a process must have execute (search) access to the directory. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and the current working directory remains unchanged if one or more of the following are true: A component of the path name is not a directory. The named directory does not exist. Search permission is denied for any component of the path name. path points outside the allocated address space of the process. The reliable detection of this error is implemen- tation dependent. path is null. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. fails and the current working directory remains unchanged if one or more of the following are true: Search permission is denied for fildes. fildes is not an open file descriptor. The open file descriptor fildes does not refer to a directory. AUTHOR
and were developed by AT&T Bell Laboratories and HP. SEE ALSO
cd(1), chroot(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
chdir(2)