Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find & Replace with same case letters Post 302926168 by grep_me on Friday 21st of November 2014 02:35:33 PM
Old 11-21-2014
Find & Replace with same case letters

I have text with upper and lower case words. I want to find something and replace it with something new. But it should match the case - Meaning - it should replace old upper cased word with NEW upper case word and lower with lower.

example:
Code:
this text is very simple TEXT.

now I want to replace both cases of "text" with word to match with case.
output should be
Code:
this word is very simple WORD.

text is replace with word and TEXT with WORD.

Is there a way to do this in sed or some other command - without the use of a loop.
Thanks in Advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace

I get a text file with 70+ columns (seperated by Tab) and about 10000 rows. The 58th Column is all numbers. But sometimes 58th columns has "/xxx=##" after the numeric data. I want to truncate this string using the script. Any Ideas...:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagansharma
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

improving my script (find & replace)

Hi all, I have a script that scan files, find old templet and replace it with new one. #!/bin/ksh file_name=$1 old_templet=$2 new_templet=$3 # Loop through every file like this for file in file_name do cat $file | sed "s/old_templet/new_templet/g" > $file.new #do a global searce and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir_yosha
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & incremental replace?

Looking for a way using sed/awk/perl to replace port numbers in a file with an incrementing number. The original file looks like... Host cmg-iqdrw3p4 LocalForward *:9043 localhost:9043 Host cmg-iqdro3p3a LocalForward *:10000 localhost:10000 Host cmg-iqdro3p3b LocalForward... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treadwm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Compare 2 Arrays find difference & case insensitive

Hi, I need an elegant solotion in php. I need to compare 2 arrays (array1 & array2), to find all instances of array 2 which is not in array1. I don't want to see any instances of array1 wich is not in array2 (here "the") Array1: This, is, the, data, of, array1 Array2: this, is, data, Of,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace lower case letters with N

Hi, I have a string of letters that are upper and lower case. I would like to replace all the lowercase letters with N. Also, there are only 4 letters, so it may be easier to replace each lower case letter with N. Either way, I do not know know to do this. Example line ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & replace --> create a new file

Hi All, I have a unix shell script file as below. My task is a)to replace 248 to 350 and need to create a new file as BW3_350.sh b)to replace 248 to 380 and need to create a new file as BW3_380.sh c)to replace 248 to 320 and need to create a new file as BW3_320.sh there is no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_mrkg
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP Find & Replace <p class>

I am making an eBook. I am editing the html in BBedit. I need to replace all <p class="s5"> with just a <p>. How do I write this for GREP? Thank you, Abby (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuddlykitty
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing switch case for find and replace specific file. Help Me...

case "$inputs" in sapte) find /pools/home_unix/sapte/work/models/model -name "*.xml" exec rm -i {} \;; ckm1) find /pools/home_unix/ckm1/work/models/model -name "*.xml" exec rm -i {} \;; I am getting error like as below. ./menu1.sh: line 144: syntax error near unexpected token `)'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Replace

Hi I am looking to rename the contents of this dir, each one with a new timestamp, interval of a second for each so it the existing format is on lhs and what I want is to rename each of these to what is on rhs..hopefully it nake sense CDR.20060505.150006.gb CDR.20121211.191500.gb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
3 Replies
SUCRACK(1)						      General Commands Manual							SUCRACK(1)

NAME
sucrack - is a multithreaded Linux/UNIX tool for brute-force cracking of local user accounts via su. SYNOPSIS
sucrack [options] wordlist DESCRIPTION
sucrack is a multithreaded Linux/UNIX tool brute-force cracking tool that drives su(1) with referencing a specific user and uses words from a wordlist as passwords. Running sucrack does not require high privileges on the target system. OPTIONS
sucrack allows reading passwords from stdin. In that case, use '-' instead of a filename as wordlist parameter. Common options: -h print help message -a use ansi escape codes for nice looking statistics (requires --enable-statistics configuration flag) -s <seconds> statistics display intervall (requires --enable-statistics configuration flag) -c only print statistics if a key other than `q' is pressed -r enable rewriting of dictionary words (see rules below) -w <num> number of threads to run with. -b <size> size of the word list buffer -u <user> user account to su to -l <rules> specify certain rules for the rewriting process Rewriting rules: A Rewrite word with only upper case characters F Rewrite word with first character as upper case L Rewrite word with last character as upper case a Rewrite word with only lower case characters f Rewrite word with first character as lower case l Rewrite word with last character as lower case D Prepend each digit (0-9) to the word d Append each digit (0-9) to the word e enleet the word x apply all rules to a word ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SUCRACK_SU_PATH The path to su (usually /bin/su or /usr/bin/su) SUCRACK_AUTH_FAILURE The message su returns on an authentication failure (like "su: Authentication failure" or "su: Sorry") SUCRACK_AUTH_SUCCESS The message that indicates an authentication success. This message must not be a password listed in the wordlist (default is "SUCRACK_SUCCESS") AUTHOR
Nico Leidecker <nfl@portcullis-security.com> http://www.leidecker.info SEE ALSO
su(1) Version 1.2.3 SUCRACK(1)