Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Fsck -n on mounted FS - how unreliable ? Post 302925541 by achenle on Monday 17th of November 2014 07:54:59 PM
Old 11-17-2014
Agreed.

Running fsck on a mounted filesystem is a worthless task. Unless you're lucky and it shows no errors - something I've never seen the few times I've witnessed an fsck of a mounted file system.

Because an indication of corruption isn't meaningful at all for a mounted file system.

If you're worried about corruption, you umount the filesystem and check it.
This User Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

fsck -y

Once in a while, I would think it advisable to run fsck -y to check the disk. Should I sign in as su or sudo? What is the difference and which is preferred? Thank you in Advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpatrick
4 Replies

2. Solaris

fsck

OS: Solaris 5.8 Everytime I run fsck -y I get: FILE SYSTEM STATE IN SUPERBLOCK IS WRONG; FIX? yes Do I need to run fsck with the backup superblock option or is there some other option I should use. I have tried the format->analyze->read option but that does not report any corrupt blocks.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck on a mounted file system?

I have a Solaris 7 box. We got a strange error in the syslog, which read as follows: Nov 15 11:50:16 server-01 unix: NOTICE: free inode /mount1/8025691 had size 0x20d I consulted with a fellow sysadmin, and he suggested running "fsck -N" on the filesystem in question without unmounting it. So I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GKnight
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck - what should be done?

I want to use fsck to check and repair my linux system. When I use this command, what do I need to pay attention to or what should I do to make job running successfully. Thanks for your inputs for a newbie. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

5. Solaris

fsck -o

Hello I am getting this in dmesg: /mount1: unexpected free inode 1262865, run fsck(1M) -o f What are the options I should use with fsck? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about fsck

i want to know what does it mean by doing a consistentcy check fsck on a disk and why journaling filesystems dont need to do it and what is meant by disk is in a consistent state when writing because entries are recorded in a journal and then to the metadata and then removed from journal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farhan_t49
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck error

Hello I own a SPARC Ultra 10 workstation (standalone) and when issuing the fsck command I get the following output on fs C0t0d0s7: Phase 1 (checks blocks and sizes): dada warning: /pci@lf;0/pci@1, 1/ide@3/dad@0,0(dad1): ATA Transport failed:reason, `incomplete'> Uncorrectable data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjwops
2 Replies

8. Solaris

fsck issue

I am not able to boot into solaris. I am getting following message. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0) is being checked. Warning - Unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually(fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0). I ran fsck manually but it didn't work. Help from anyone would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: likhitgatagat
1 Replies

9. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Fsck in vxvm

Hi, When we are running fsck in vxvm FS within few sec it will completed even if data is more than 500GB or in TB also. compare to UFS FS in that it will take more time compare with vxvm.UFS check FS in block level. & then vvxm on where its checking the FS. Please explain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger09
1 Replies
FSCK.MINIX(8)                                                  System Administration                                                 FSCK.MINIX(8)

NAME
fsck.minix - check consistency of Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
fsck.minix [options] device DESCRIPTION
fsck.minix performs a consistency check for the Linux MINIX filesystem. The program assumes the filesystem is quiescent. fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted device unless you can be sure nobody is writ- ing to it. Remember that the kernel can write to device when it searches for files. The device name will usually have the following form: /dev/hda[1-63] IDE disk 1 /dev/hdb[1-63] IDE disk 2 /dev/sda[1-15] SCSI disk 1 /dev/sdb[1-15] SCSI disk 2 If the filesystem was changed, i.e., repaired, then fsck.minix will print "FILE SYSTEM HAS CHANGED" and will sync(2) three times before exiting. There is no need to reboot after check. WARNING
fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted filesystem. Using fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem is very dangerous, due to the possibility that deleted files are still in use, and can seriously damage a perfectly good filesystem! If you absolutely have to run fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem, such as the root filesystem, make sure nothing is writing to the disk, and that no files are "zombies" waiting for deletion. OPTIONS
-l, --list List all filenames. -r, --repair Perform interactive repairs. -a, --auto Perform automatic repairs. This option implies --repair and serves to answer all of the questions asked with the default. Note that this can be extremely dangerous in the case of extensive filesystem damage. -v, --verbose Be verbose. -s, --super Output super-block information. -m, --uncleared Activate MINIX-like "mode not cleared" warnings. -f, --force Force a filesystem check even if the filesystem was marked as valid. Marking is done by the kernel when the filesystem is unmounted. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. DIAGNOSTICS
There are numerous diagnostic messages. The ones mentioned here are the most commonly seen in normal usage. If the device does not exist, fsck.minix will print "unable to read super block". If the device exists, but is not a MINIX filesystem, fsck.minix will print "bad magic number in super-block". EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by fsck.minix is the sum of the following: 0 No errors 3 Filesystem errors corrected, system should be rebooted if filesystem was mounted 4 Filesystem errors left uncorrected 7 Combination of exit codes 3 and 4 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error AUTHORS
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> Error code values by Rik Faith <faith@cs.unc.edu> Added support for filesystem valid flag: Dr. Wettstein <greg%wind.uucp@plains.nodak.edu>. Check to prevent fsck of mounted filesystem added by Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@yggdrasil.com>. Minix v2 fs support by Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>, updated by Nicolai Langfeldt <janl@math.uio.no>. Portability patch by Russell King <rmk@ecs.soton.ac.uk>. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fsck.ext2(8), mkfs(8), mkfs.ext2(8), mkfs.minix(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The fsck.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2015 FSCK.MINIX(8)