Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script which will check the target file and folder exists and copy it Post 302925444 by sea on Monday 17th of November 2014 09:09:29 AM
Old 11-17-2014
You have no echo command after the copy to existing folder.
Add a message and you'll get one Smilie

What if the creation of the folder fails?
So you could move the:
Code:
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]
        then
                echo "$location created"
        else
                echo "ERROR while creating $location. Please check write permission or disk space and try again !!!"
                exit 1
        fi

To just below mkdir -p "$location"

Hope this helps
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Remote Folder Exists

Hi, I want to sftp some files to a remote directory. Before transferring files i want to check whether the required folder exists. If so copy the files to that folder, else create the folder and copy the files. Thanks in adv (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple check to see if a folder exists

Hi, I have cobbled together a simple script to create a Windows folder in a bunch of home folders on a mac server using the following code. for i in /Volumes/student_data/studenthomefolders/* do u=`echo $i | cut -d/ -f5` //if //then //echo "Folder already exists for "$u" Skipping" //else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psyman
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file exists in a mounted windows shared folder

hi, I posted a thread before on that subject, but with a wrong focus... here's my problem: I want to check if a file exists in a windows shared folder mounted using: sudo mount -t cifs -o username=xxx,password=xxx,uid=xxx,gid=xxx //192.168.0.92/public /media/92_shared I tried if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jul
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW TO CHECK ONLY .C FILES EXISTS OR NOT IN A FOLDER using IF in C shell script?

Hi friends.. I hav a problem.... I dont know how to check .c files exists r not in a folder using IF in C shell script actually i tried like this if(=~ *.c) even though some .c files or there in the current folder..it is not entering int o the if control statement...... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.hemadrireddy
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check if any file exists in 4 folders

Hi All, working on AIX 5.3. Requirement is: Shell script in ksh to check if any file exists in 4 folders as below: 1. /FILE/INB/INT1 2. /FILE/INB/INT2 3. /FILE/INB/INT3 4. /FILE/INB/INT4 Thanks a lot for your time! a1_win. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Files to Dir and Check If File Exists

Hi everyone. I am trying to write a bash script that will copy files from one directory to another but I need to be able to check the directory that I'm copying the files to and see if the file already exists. If it does I need to add a number at the end of the copied file. Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assistance with shell script to check file type and move to a folder.

Hi, Below is some code that I would like to implement however I am getting these errors: (what I am attempting to do is to check if a zip file has ascii files and if ascii and not binary then move the ascii files to a folder. some of the files are in xml format but are ascii and i will be moving... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwcberb
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to take input from a text file and perform check on each servers and copy files

HI all, I want to script where all the server names will be in a text file like server1 server2 server3 . and the script should take servernames from a text file and perform copy of files if the files are not present on those servers.after which it should take next servername till the end of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseph.dmello
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if remote folder exists

Hi, When trying to chk if a folder exists on remote server using the below command (got it from other thread in this forum) "ifvchr@s1.mrix.local '/cygdrive/d/shares/projects\ data\ load/test\ files/$SCPED_FILES$name$code'`]; then echo "Directory exists"; else echo "Directory... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: funonnet
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies
MHPATH(1)                                                            [nmh-1.5]                                                           MHPATH(1)

NAME
mhpath - print full pathnames of nmh messages and folders SYNOPSIS
mhpath [+folder] [msgs] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
mhpath expands and sorts the message list `msgs' and writes the full pathnames of the messages to the standard output separated by new- lines. If no `msgs' are specified, mhpath outputs the current mail folder's pathname instead. If the only argument is `+', your nmh "Path" is output; this can be useful in shell scripts. Contrasted with other nmh commands, a message argument to mhpath may often be intended for writing. Because of this: 1) the name "new" has been added to mhpath's list of reserved message names (the others are "first", "last", "prev", "next", "cur", and "all"). The new message is equivalent to the message after the last message in a folder (and equivalent to 1 in a folder without mes- sages). The "new" message may not be used as part of a message range. 2) Within a message list, the following designations may refer to messages that do not exist: a single numeric message name, the single message name "cur", and (obviously) the single message name "new". All other message designations must refer to at least one existing message, if the folder contains messages. 3) An empty folder is not in itself an error. A message number less than that of the smallest existing message in a folder is treated as if the message already exists. A message number greater than that of the highest existing message in a folder causes an "out of range" error message to be displayed. As part of a range designation that contains messages that do exist, message numbers less than the smallest, or greater than the highest, existing message in a folder are ignored. Examples: The current folder foo contains messages 3 5 6. Cur is 4. % mhpath /r/phyl/Mail/foo % mhpath all /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 % mhpath 2001 mhpath: message 2001 out of range 1-6 % mhpath 1-2001 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 % mhpath new /r/phyl/Mail/foo/7 % mhpath last new /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/7 % mhpath last-new mhpath: bad message list last-new % mhpath cur /r/phyl/Mail/foo/4 % mhpath 1-2 mhpath: no messages in range 1-2 % mhpath first:2 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 % mhpath 1 2 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/1 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/2 mhpath is also useful in back-quoted operations: % cd `mhpath +inbox` % echo `mhpath +` /r/phyl/Mail FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
folder(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to none CONTEXT
None BUGS
Like all nmh commands, mhpath expands and sorts [msgs]. So don't expect mv `mhpath 501 500` to move 501 to 500. Quite the reverse. But mv `mhpath 501` `mhpath 500` will do the trick. Out of range message 0 is treated far more severely than large out of range message numbers. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHPATH(1)