Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell script to find file type Post 302925398 by MadeInGermany on Monday 17th of November 2014 04:20:12 AM
Old 11-17-2014
grep works on LF-separated lines, and the LF character is not part of its line buffer.
So you cannot find \n. Further \n and \r do not have a special meaning in grep (it searches for n and r as if they were unquoted).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Simple shell that look for a file type

Hello Everyone, I got a simple question. I'm trying to write a shell that looks for a file that arived ftp area and keeps looking until it find it. It should look for the file that begins with test and then when it finds it. It starts the wmdaten.sh shell. All i got is that it runs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying font type and color in a shell script

Hi, I am new to shell script. Can you please tell me, whether can we specify font type and color in a shell script? If so, how to do this? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vani_Govind
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting the data type in unix shell script

I am writing a unix shell script that will extract records from table and write into a file. ====================================== #! /bin/ksh ############################ # AFI Monitor Script ############################ . /db2/uszlad48/sqllib/db2profile export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to type ISO_8859_1 characters in shell script?

Hello All, I want to type some special characters to check in my shell script as string. Could you please help me how do I type in my shell script. For example "LA CORUĆA". Here the last but 1 character is related to ISO_8859_1 related. But don't know how do I type in shell script programming.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find yesterdays file - shell script

Hey guys - i have a script (below) that searches for current files in a particular directory. However i was wondering how to make it search for "yesterdays" file. For instance it looks for a file from yesterday and no older than that. I used stat command to check for file information: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assistance with shell script to check file type and move to a folder.

Hi, Below is some code that I would like to implement however I am getting these errors: (what I am attempting to do is to check if a zip file has ascii files and if ascii and not binary then move the ascii files to a folder. some of the files are in xml format but are ascii and i will be moving... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwcberb
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Find in File

Right, noob to shell scripting, playing a round for practice, wrote the following but it doesn't seem to work as expected, how could I fix/improve this script? #!/bin/bash #set -v #set -x case $# in 1) echo Searching for $1 in '*'; find . -iname '*' 2>/dev/null | xargs grep "$1" -sl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pezmc
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script find word from one file and insert in another file

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I need a bash shell scripts which search and grep a parameter value from input.txt file and insert it in between two semicolon of second line of output.txt file. For example The shell script search an IP address as parameter value from input.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilkumarsinha
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read file and check file type

Hi, I have a file with few values in it. I need script help to read file line by line and check: 1/if it's a file (with extension eg .java .css .jar etc ) or 2/if it's a file without extension and treat it as a directory and then check if the directory exists in working copy else create one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file type recursively and move

Hello, I supposed that it was working fine but now I see that it's not working as expected. I am running under ubuntu14.04, trusty. My plan was to search folderA and all subdirectories and move any txt file to destination folder, folderB : find /home/user/folderA/ -type f -iname "*.txt"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
0 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)