Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass column number as variable to awk and compare with a string. Post 302924715 by Girish19 on Wednesday 12th of November 2014 04:31:54 AM
Old 11-12-2014
Question Pass column number as variable to awk and compare with a string.

Hi All,

I have a file test.txt.

Content of test.txt :

1 vinay se
2 kumar sse
4 kishore tl

I am extracting the content of file with below command.

Code:
awk '$2 ~ "vinay" {print $0}' test.txt

Now instead of hardcoding $2 is there any way pass $2 as variable and compare with a pattern ?

In short i would like to know whether is there a way to configure the column name in awk?

Kindly let me know if i am not clear

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with counting of files then pass number to variable

hi all, i'm trying to pass a count of files to a variable thru these set of codes: sh_count=$(ls -1 fnd_upload_LV*.* |wc -l) problem is if no files matches that, it will give an error "ls: fnd_upload_LV*.*: No such file or directory". how do i avoid having the shell script show that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditional expression to compare field number and variable value

Hi, I'm trying to compare the value in a field to the value in a variable using awk. This works: awk '$7 == "101"'but this is what I want (and it doesn't work): value=101 awk '$7 == "$value"' Any help or insight on this would be great. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk]compare a number in a string with a list

Hi, I have a program written in awk and I want to extend it to do another task. My program is a list of CVS log reports of a repository. For each file, I have some fields. One of the fields is the comment field. I want to know how I can check if a comment (which is a free text field)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepk1611
8 Replies

4. Solaris

awk - Print variable number of colums from a starting column

Hi guys, I usualy am able to google awk stuff but I can't find it so far and there are so many awking gurus here that I will give it a shot. I want to print $1;$3;"$5 up to the $NF". In other words, I can have 1000 colums, but need to have $5 up to the end. I started with the idea of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk arrays - compare value in second column to variable

Hello, I am trying to redirect files to a directory by using a config file. The config files is as such: xxxxxx,ID,PathToDirectory xxxxxx,ID2,PathToDirectory2 and so on... I have a variable that should match one of these IDs. I want to load this config file into an awk array, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrfiol
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

pass a variable line number to sed

num=10 sed -n '$num p' test.txt sed -n '10 p' test.txt works however i am putting the sed command in a loop and the line number is not static Can someone please help me how to achive this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figure20012
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with compare two column and print out column with smallest number

Input file : 5 20 500 2 20 41 41 0 23 1 Desired output : 5 2 20 0 1 By comparing column 1 and 2 in each line, I hope can print out the column with smallest number. I did try the following code, but it don't look good :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass variable to awk command search string

I must have forgot how to do this, but, I am attempting to enter a variable into an awk / gawk search pattern. I am getting a value from user input to place in a specific section of a 132 character string. my default command is .... gawk --re-interval '/^(.{3}P .{4}CYA.{8}1)/' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdeevers
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in column using variable: awk

I'm interested to match column pattern through awk using an external variable for data: -9 1:751343:T:A -9 0 T A 0.726 -5.408837e-03 9.576603e-03 7.967536e-01 5.722312e-01 -9 1:751756:T:C -9 0 T C 0.727 -5.360458e-03 9.579447e-03 7.966977e-01 5.757858e-01... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
innoextract(1)						      General Commands Manual						    innoextract(1)

NAME
innoextract - tool to extract installers created by Inno Setup SYNOPSIS
innoextract [-behlLqstv] [-ccolor] [-pprogress] installers ... DESCRIPTION
innoextract is a tool that can extract installer executables created by Inno Setup. innoextract will extract files from a installers specified on the command line. To extract a multi-part installer with external data files, only the executable (.exe) file needs to be given as an argument to innoex- tract. OPTIONS
-c --color [enable] By default innoextract will try to detect if the terminal supports shell escape codes and enable or disable color output accord- ingly. Pass 1 or true to --color to force color output. Pass 0 or false to never output color codes. --dump Don't convert Windows paths to UNIX paths and don't substitute variables in paths. -e --extract Extract all files to the current directory. This is the default action. You may only specify one of --extract , --list and --test -h --help Show a list of the supported options. --language [lang] Extract only language-independent files and files for the given language. By default all files are extracted. --license Show license information. -l --list List files contained in the installer but don't extract anything. You may only specify one of --extract , --list and --test -L --lowercase Convert filenames stored in the installer to lower-case before extracting. -p --progress [enable] By default innoextract will try to detect if the terminal supports shell escape codes and enable or disable progress bar output accordingly. Pass 1 or true to --progress to force progress bar output. Pass 0 or false to never show a progress bar. -q --quiet Less verbose output. -s --silent Don't output anything except errors and warnings. -t --test Test archive integrity but don't write any output files. You may only specify one of --extract , --list and --test -v --version Show the innoextract version number and supported Inno Setup versions. LIMITATIONS
innoextract currently only supports extracting all the data. There is no support for extracting individual files, components or languages. Included scripts and checks are not executed. Data is always extracted to the current directory and the mapping from Inno Setup variables like the application directory to subdirecto- ries is hard-coded. innoextract does not check if an installer includes multiple files with the same name and will continually overwrite the destination file when extracting. Names for data files in multi-file installers must follow the standard naming scheme. Encrypted installers are not supported. SEE ALSO
cabextract(1), unshield(1) BUGS
No known bugs. AUTHOR
Daniel Scharrer (daniel@constexpr.org) 1.2 2012-04-01 innoextract(1)