Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change directory error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change directory error Post 302924632 by junior-helper on Tuesday 11th of November 2014 08:06:11 AM
Old 11-11-2014
cmccabe,
If I understand correctly, the answer to your first question regarding the ASCII flowchart is "I did it manually in gedit (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit) with a monospaced font (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monospaced_font) conveniently called Monospace".

I don't understand what you mean with "collapse function". Seems to be a notepad++ question Smilie
Sorry, I have neither notepad++ nor a Windows machine.

Don,
thank you for the hint.
Is it possible to make the functions "return", without major changes?
I admit I misused the functions as goto replacement Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory

Hi all, I'm trying to wirte a small shell script in Linux. My script has the flow like, cmd1 cmd2 cd testdata cmd3 After exiting the program, the CWD remains the same as where I execute the program. I need it to be changed to the latest updated directory in the program. How can I do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadivel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory

hi, Iam in directory A. I run a script from there. inside the script i have a command cd B. When i come out of the script directory is A only. Even when i come out scrip i want the directory to be B How to achieve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Directory via a script?

I would like to have a script that would change my current working directory. However, any time I execute a 'cd' command in a script, it holds only for the life of that script -- the working directory on exit is the same as when the script was initiated. Is it possible to have the script return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: George Borrmann
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Directory

I have a directory that is existing under my root dir of the FTP server. The DIR name is 'Software Patch'. I want to move in to that DIR to download some patches. But, when I issued a command 'cd SOftware Patch', the system said that it cannot find the dir 'Software'. I tried all possible ways like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory if available

I have a simple shell script that prompts the user to enter a directory to navigate to. What i want it to do and i don't know how to do this is if the directory is invalid automatically navigate to the home directory. echo "enter a directory to navigate to:" read directory cd $directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change database directory to another directory?

Hi, I Installed mysql on my CentOS 6.2 Server. But when I tried to change the location of /var/lib/mysql to another directory. I can't start the mysql. Below is what I've done yum install mysql mysql-server mysql-devel mkdir /path/to/new/ cp -R /var/lib/mysql /path/to/new chown -R... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Directory

Hi All, There is a code like below in my script ############################################### ###Create Directories and Sub-Directories ############################################### dpdir=DP_FROM_${from}_TO_${to} mkdir $dpdir cd $dpdir mkdir AWQM WFCONTROLLER PROVCO PRISM ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory shell

#!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter number of sanger patients : "; read id perl -ne 'chomp; system ("perl table_annovar.pl $_ humandb/ -buildver hg19 -protocol refGene,popfreq_all,common,clinvar,clinvarsubmit,clinvarreference -operation g,f,f,f,f,f -otherinfo")' < file.txt I have the above script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)