Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VM v Physical Server Speeds
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VM v Physical Server Speeds Post 302924533 by drl on Monday 10th of November 2014 11:06:46 AM
Old 11-10-2014
Hi.

The only benchmark that makes any sense to me is your normal workload.

Suppose IT gave you a VM that allowed twice as many CPUs and/or a worderful array of SSD disks as you have on your physical machine, and that it allowed your workload to be processed in far less time on the VM. That would be a definite plus.

At a university computer center, whenever we would make changes, we would run a sample of user applications. If we saw a large increase or decrease in real time, we would look closely to try to determine the cause (it was almost always a failure of new code, many cases would crash, decreasing the real time, etc.).

Running benchmarks for a few megabytes would not be meaningful for me. I have run bonnie++ on different configurations (various RAID combinations, for example), so that might be useful if you let it run long enough -- 20-60 minutes on your physical machine, then compare it to runs on the VM.

Synthetic benchmarks are useful if they are similar to your day-to-day work, otherwise, they are perhaps better suited for water-cooler discussions.

While working at an NSF-funded lab, one book I referred to was The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis: Techniques for Experimental Design, Measurement, Simulation, and Modeling: Raj Jain: 9780471503361: Amazon.com: Books
See especially chapter 4, techniques and tools, but note that this is quite an old book.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding out processor speeds for a sparc

i recently purchased a dual ross sparc processor kit from someone. the person listed these items as 133mhz processors, however, looking at bridgepoint's site, they do not make 133mhz processors. so i was wondering, how can i check the processor speeds? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Network speeds

Hello all, We have a group of Solaris 8 machines that are having some real network performance issues, they all go through a switch which *should* be set at 100 mb full duplex on every port which goes back to a master switch. I have checked the machines and the NIC cards are all set at 100 full.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
9 Replies

3. Solaris

List all resources on physical host LDOM server

Hello, I have a SUN T5240 running Solaris 10 with Logical Domain Manager (v 1.0.3). You can use the "ldm" command to display current resources on the box. Is there away to display all the "physical resources" on the box(i.e.,used and unused). For example, "ldm ls" will tell me what the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephanpitts
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NMON Physical Averages display for multi CPU Server

We have some AIX Unix Servers with 4 or 6 CPU and when type this command “c” in nmon always displays each cpu % with Averages on buttom. However we have several Servers with 18 CPU's and it only shows 16 17 on main page. Does nmon have some command that would show remaining with totals for Physical... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: groosha
3 Replies

5. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

I can't get access by physical name to server

Hi all I have connected new server to LAN but when I use rlogin command by server name it dose not work but by IP adderss it works. can any one tell the reason? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bintaleb
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server is virtual or physical?

Hi All, How can I know whether the server I am connecting to is a virtual or physical one? The server might be having any Unix OS (Linux/Solaris/HP-UX etc.). Is there any system files / commands which can show these concrete information? Thanks in advance for the replies. sanzee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vm versus physical linux server

Does anyone have a script that can be run to tell you if you are on either a VM Linux or a physical Linux server? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbenn
15 Replies

9. Solaris

Physical and virual server difference

Hi, i am trying to find whether any particular solaris server is physical or virtual....are there any commands or set of commands which only runs (or provide specific pattern ) on physical machines and provides different pattern or error on virtual one... Is this the correct approach to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Run level process when Physical server goes down

Need inputs when physical server is coming down (ex- init 0) . We have a physical server in that there are couple of LDOM's and in LDOM's there are couple of Zones . In zones there are applications running . Physical Server (T4 Server) -> LDOM -> ZONES -> applications There are scripts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
1 Replies
SPEED(1SSL)							      OpenSSL							       SPEED(1SSL)

NAME
openssl-speed, speed - test library performance SYNOPSIS
openssl speed [-help] [-engine id] [-elapsed] [-evp algo] [-decrypt] [-rand file...] [-writerand file] [-primes num] [-seconds num] [-bytes num] [algorithm...] DESCRIPTION
This command is used to test the performance of cryptographic algorithms. To see the list of supported algorithms, use the list --digest-commands or list --cipher-commands command. The global CSPRNG is denoted by the rand algorithm name. OPTIONS
-help Print out a usage message. -engine id Specifying an engine (by its unique id string) will cause speed to attempt to obtain a functional reference to the specified engine, thus initialising it if needed. The engine will then be set as the default for all available algorithms. -elapsed When calculating operations- or bytes-per-second, use wall-clock time instead of CPU user time as divisor. It can be useful when testing speed of hardware engines. -evp algo Use the specified cipher or message digest algorithm via the EVP interface. If algo is an AEAD cipher, then you can pass <-aead> to benchmark a TLS-like sequence. And if algo is a multi-buffer capable cipher, e.g. aes-128-cbc-hmac-sha1, then -mb will time multi- buffer operation. -decrypt Time the decryption instead of encryption. Affects only the EVP testing. -rand file... A file or files containing random data used to seed the random number generator. Multiple files can be specified separated by an OS- dependent character. The separator is ; for MS-Windows, , for OpenVMS, and : for all others. [-writerand file] Writes random data to the specified file upon exit. This can be used with a subsequent -rand flag. -primes num Generate a num-prime RSA key and use it to run the benchmarks. This option is only effective if RSA algorithm is specified to test. -seconds num Run benchmarks for num seconds. -bytes num Run benchmarks on num-byte buffers. Affects ciphers, digests and the CSPRNG. [zero or more test algorithms] If any options are given, speed tests those algorithms, otherwise a pre-compiled grand selection is tested. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2000-2018 The OpenSSL Project Authors. All Rights Reserved. Licensed under the OpenSSL license (the "License"). You may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You can obtain a copy in the file LICENSE in the source distribution or at <https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html>. 1.1.1a 2018-12-18 SPEED(1SSL)