Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VM v Physical Server Speeds
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VM v Physical Server Speeds Post 302924529 by vbe on Monday 10th of November 2014 10:23:15 AM
Old 11-10-2014
I would be the first surprised if it were faster ( the VM...) but the point is more : Why? what argument was presented to migrate? The architecture of impementation is far more important over relative performance e.g. gain on downtime when maintenance, possibilities of swapping servers between sites etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding out processor speeds for a sparc

i recently purchased a dual ross sparc processor kit from someone. the person listed these items as 133mhz processors, however, looking at bridgepoint's site, they do not make 133mhz processors. so i was wondering, how can i check the processor speeds? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Network speeds

Hello all, We have a group of Solaris 8 machines that are having some real network performance issues, they all go through a switch which *should* be set at 100 mb full duplex on every port which goes back to a master switch. I have checked the machines and the NIC cards are all set at 100 full.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
9 Replies

3. Solaris

List all resources on physical host LDOM server

Hello, I have a SUN T5240 running Solaris 10 with Logical Domain Manager (v 1.0.3). You can use the "ldm" command to display current resources on the box. Is there away to display all the "physical resources" on the box(i.e.,used and unused). For example, "ldm ls" will tell me what the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephanpitts
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NMON Physical Averages display for multi CPU Server

We have some AIX Unix Servers with 4 or 6 CPU and when type this command “c” in nmon always displays each cpu % with Averages on buttom. However we have several Servers with 18 CPU's and it only shows 16 17 on main page. Does nmon have some command that would show remaining with totals for Physical... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: groosha
3 Replies

5. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

I can't get access by physical name to server

Hi all I have connected new server to LAN but when I use rlogin command by server name it dose not work but by IP adderss it works. can any one tell the reason? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bintaleb
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server is virtual or physical?

Hi All, How can I know whether the server I am connecting to is a virtual or physical one? The server might be having any Unix OS (Linux/Solaris/HP-UX etc.). Is there any system files / commands which can show these concrete information? Thanks in advance for the replies. sanzee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vm versus physical linux server

Does anyone have a script that can be run to tell you if you are on either a VM Linux or a physical Linux server? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbenn
15 Replies

9. Solaris

Physical and virual server difference

Hi, i am trying to find whether any particular solaris server is physical or virtual....are there any commands or set of commands which only runs (or provide specific pattern ) on physical machines and provides different pattern or error on virtual one... Is this the correct approach to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Run level process when Physical server goes down

Need inputs when physical server is coming down (ex- init 0) . We have a physical server in that there are couple of LDOM's and in LDOM's there are couple of Zones . In zones there are applications running . Physical Server (T4 Server) -> LDOM -> ZONES -> applications There are scripts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
1 Replies
vzmigrate(8)							    Containers							      vzmigrate(8)

NAME
vzmigrate - migrate a container between two OpenVZ servers SYNOPSIS
vzmigrate [-r|--remove-area yes|no] [--ssh=ssh_options] [--rsync=rsync_options] [--keep-dst] [--online] [-v] destination_address CTID DESCRIPTION
This utility is used to migrate a container from one (source) Hardware Node (HN) to another (destination) HN. The utility can migrate either stopped or running container. For a stopped container, simple CT private area transfer is performed (rsync(1) is used for file transfer). For running containers, migration may be offline (default) or online. This program uses ssh as a transport layer. You will need to put ssh public key to destination node and be able to connect to node without entering password. OPTIONS
-r, --remove-area yes | no Whether to remove a container area on source HN for the successfully migrated container. Default is yes. --ssh=options Additional options that will be passed to ssh while establishing connection to destination HN. --rsync=options Additional options that will be passed to rsync(8). You may add options like -z to enable data compression if you are migrating over a slow link. --keep-dst Do not clean synced destination container private area in case of some error. It makes sense to use this option on big container migration to avoid syncing container private area again in case some error (on container stop for example) occurs during first migration attempt. --online Perform online (zero-downtime) migration: during the migration the container hangs for a while and after the migration it continues working as though nothing has happened. -v Verbose mode. Causes vzmigrate to print debugging messages about its progress. Multiple -v options increase the verbosity. The maximum is 3. EXAMPLES
Migration of CT 101 to 192.168.1.130 with downtime: vzmigrate 192.168.1.130 101 Online migration of CT 102 to 192.168.1.130: vzmigrate --online 192.168.1.130 102 EXIT STATUS
0 EXIT_OK Command completed successfully. 1 EXIT_USAGE Bad command line options. 2 EXIT_VE_STOPPED Container is stopped. 4 EXIT_CONNECT Can't connect to destination (source) HN. 6 EXIT_COPY Container private area copying/moving failed. 7 EXIT_VE_START Can't start or restore destination CT. 8 EXIT_VE_STOP Can't stop or checkpoint source CT. 9 EXIT_EXISTS Container already exists on destination HN. 10 EXIT_NOTEXIST Container does not exists on source HN. 12 EXIT_IP_INUSE You attempt to migrate CT which IP address(es) are already in use on the destination node. 13 EXIT_QUOTA Operation with CT quota failed. SEE ALSO
rsync(1). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2010, Parallels, Inc. Licensed under GNU GPL. OpenVZ 28 Jun 2011 vzmigrate(8)