Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX server showing high memory utilization Post 302924516 by vbe on Monday 10th of November 2014 09:27:10 AM
Old 11-10-2014
50% was at the time when you were lucky to have more than 2GB RAM...
Plenty buffers is good- too much can be a pain... the best results is when dbc_max_pct does not exceed 2.5GB so in the present case that would be something like 8%
reducing dbc_min_pct makes sence when you have memory shortage - Not the case here but could be reduced to 4%..
The issue I see but you havent mentionned it happned yet is more :
" Why cant I load more programs (no more memory error message...) when I have far more RAM than what is actually used???"

This is more what could happen to you, why?
Because you are using pseudoswap... HP-UX ( at least 11.11 ) is a OS using Virtual memory, to make it simple it will load first in swap to "reserve" the space then load in memory, in case of need to swap the space already reserved is used so in practical you could have far more program running than actual RAM only system will be slow because using its swap...
Your case is your swap device is far less than actual RAM, with pswedo-swap was not activated you could actually only use at maximum memory to the size of your swap: 16GB when you have 24! so turning swapmem_on to 1 lets you use the excedent RAM as swap so you can use more than 16GB
But to be able in case of crisis ot use all the RAM at other things than swap, you would have to create a secind swap device for performace - of the same size of the one you have: 16 GB bring your system to have 32GB of virtual memory.
Having 2 of same size will bring the OS to use both simultaneously (like load balancing) if it needs to
About SGA buffers etc thinking to make them bigger will be better can lead to performance surprises...
I have been called by a bank years (more than 10...)ago when they had performance issues when changing to batch mode just like you I asked for a quick sysdef and how much RAM they had... I knew the type of disks (FWSCSI...) so I asked them if it was something like the system freezes so often say every1/4 1/2 hour for a couple of minutes...
They wanted to know how I knew... (a full buffer of 5 GB will take more than 4 minutes to sync with those disks - the bigger the buffer , the more time - and its not linear but more like exponential hehe)
I said we could tune the JFS but a good start was to compile a new kernel with new buffer values, then see how much it improved, it solved their issue...
As fo SGA I have seen SQL request 30% faster on systems with 50% less SGA -The same! To much buffers to scan when data is not there will slow the system when with less SGA it would already have gone reading the disks

You said you are on a SAN - The SAN normally has huge cache also, so why waste resource by using sequencially 3 huges buffers before actually going to access the disks?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

High CPU utilization

Hi am facing high cpu utilization on my sybase server. I have P550 Number Of Processors: 4 Processor Clock Speed: 1656 MHz CPU Type: 64-bit Kernel Type: 32-bit LPAR Info: 1 65-D837E Memory Size: 7840 MB in topas it shows Name PID CPU% PgSp Owner dataserv 565264 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to find and kill a process with high memory utilization

Hi Unix Gurus i am somewhat new to unix scripting so need your help to create a script as below. # This script would find the process consuming memory beyond a certain #limit. if the meemory consumption is more than 100% for a period of 1 # minute for the specific process. the script would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinforlinux
0 Replies

3. AIX

Memory utilization of my Server

Hi, i have two oracle instances running on my server with 7.5G RAM but it is showing almost 99% memory is full as you can see bellow. # svmon size inuse free pin virtual memory 1974272 1954270 20002 336595 1800652 pg space 4194304 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanucit
7 Replies

4. AIX

Find Memory Utilization in AIX Server

How to find the memory utilization of AIX server using svmon -G output. Sample output for svmon -G command from my AIX test server, size inuse free pin virtual memory 4014080 3995443 18637 575916 1876393 pg space 1179648 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruthu
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Memory conmsumption by Java server is very high on Linux compared to Soalris

Hello All, We have a jave server running on both linux and Solaris environments. On solaris,it consumes only 600-700MB whereas it goes upto 21G in Linux. I am monitoring the memory consumption through top command. Is this high memory consumption expected in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

6. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

7. Solaris

High Memory Utilization

Hello Guys, I have one Solaris server with high memory utilization >90%. As per checking, below is the output for memory usage. bash-3.00# ps -efo pmem,uid,pid,ppid,pcpu,comm | sort -r %MEM UID PID PPID %CPU COMMAND 1.7 29496 20668 1 0.0 /opt/app/iw-home/tools/java/bin/java 1.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myrpthidesis
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Java process showing high virtual memory

Hi All, I have a java process which is showing high virtual memory utilization in client server. But the same process is showing comparitively lesser virtual memory consumption. I understand that virtual memory shown is not of much importance for the general user in normal condition, my client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mritusmoi
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

CPU Utilization and Memory Utilization of Services and Applications

Hi, i am new to linux/RHEL 6.0 and i have two questions. 1) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Services running currently? 2) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Applications running currently? Please help me to find the script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nossam
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server showing high Sys% CPU usage

Hi Fellas, Not sure how I can dig in even further but we notice that one of our DB servers is showing high Sys% CPU usage even though when I execute the following command : I can see that postgres is the only one using the CPU. So if anyone can advise me what would be the best way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
3 Replies
dlpi_max_ub_promisc(5)						File Formats Manual					    dlpi_max_ub_promisc(5)

NAME
dlpi_max_ub_promisc - maximum number of unbound promiscuous streams allowed on a LAN interface VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values or Recommended values DESCRIPTION
The tunable is used to dynamically increase or decrease the maximum number of unbound promiscuous streams that can be opened on a LAN interface. Enabling multiple unbound promiscuous streams may cause CPU utilization to increase up to three times as compared to CPU utilization with no unbound promiscuous streams. Increasing the value of this tunable does not by itself degrade networking or kernel performance. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Privileged user. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When value is reduced from a higher value to a lower value, the existing unbound promis- cuous streams will not be stopped to accommodate the change. However, this tunable will limit the new unbound streams created on the interface. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? This tunable should be raised when the number of unbound promiscuous applications needs to be more than the default value. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Side effect may be an increase in CPU utilization. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), lanadmin(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), lan(7). DLPI Programmer's Guide on Tunable Kernel Parameters dlpi_max_ub_promisc(5)